You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ok Please i need help. Fair Prices? Cheap? Expensive?

Guest simon

Guest simon
For the love of God Simon get prices for all that stuff before you order it or you end up with a load of expensive fresh food and no idea how much to charge.

Start with 3 or four dishes with cheap local stuff you can buy daily.

Edit. What the fuck is fish pie mix?

I am mate speaking to them all tomorrow.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest simon
I know you are setting up in someone elses pub, but why not do a deal with the manager to include a lunch menu that gives you a Burger and pint for a set price?

Have Currys and Pizza deals i cant take off. also have some good ideas to get custom.

Simon get some contacts with your local butcher fishmonger fruit and veg guy. You will probably pay a little bit more but it should be locally sourced and rather than buying from the bigger wholesalers you will most likely be able to get small daily deliveries and if you speak to them nicely not have to pay for it up front. Pay for it when you have flogged it. Provenance is a big selling point

Plus the butcher and the fish guy will trim stuff up nice for you. Wholesale meat you will have to prep yourself, not easy.

If I was you boss and saw hundreds of pounds in cash being spent on tons of ingredients for a menu that you hadn't costed before hand you would be shitting teeth.

Guest simon
Simon get some contacts with your local butcher fishmonger fruit and veg guy. You will probably pay a little bit more but it should be locally sourced and rather than buying from the bigger wholesalers you will most likely be able to get small daily deliveries and if you speak to them nicely not have to pay for it up front. Pay for it when you have flogged it. Provenance is a big selling point

Plus the butcher and the fish guy will trim stuff up nice for you. Wholesale meat you will have to prep yourself, not easy.

If I was you boss and saw hundreds of pounds in cash being spent on tons of ingredients for a menu that you hadn't costed before hand you would be shitting teeth.

The Meat and fish are local mate my veg and fruit is wholesale. like i said i gotta get all prices tomorrow. I am not going to order yet wasnt going to im just writing my lists. So i can sort out storage space etc. As for advice about taking stuff off the menu i have already showed the menu they have a copy. I have also done research of whats around me. It has rave reviews in the past i intend to keep that. I am going to see where everything comes from farms etc this week i asked the butcher if i could see it all same with the veg etc. I have spoke to many chefs about it too.

Guest simon
It's hard to tell if the menu is suitable, as the food served should follow suit to the taste of the clientèle. Without knowing the pub it'll be impossible to tell.

The owner asked for Pub Grub Tapas and one or 2 Gourmet. Thats what i think i have given.

Guest simon

Im fucking pissed off with the Dog stuff who ever posts these are cunts end of i dont find it funny. Its really derails me and pisses me off. I try to get over it and people just keep fucking reminding me of it day in day out. PRICKS!!

Guest ShoePiss
Just worked out my steaks cost me 2.99 to buy 1 kg for 14.99 5 8oz out of

Restaurant Menu - How to Price Your Restaurant Menu

Turns out AnnyRoad is spot on with his rough and ready costing 'x3' which covers your overheads.

That would be more like a 7oz steak Si, pretty small cut of meat that. Applying x3 means without anything else on the plate you shouldn't be selling it for less than £9, do the same on your side items and you'll see if your £13 is fair to you and the pub ;)

Guest simon
Restaurant Menu - How to Price Your Restaurant Menu

Turns out AnnyRoad is spot on with his rough and ready costing 'x3' which covers your overheads.

That would be more like a 7oz steak Si, pretty small cut of meat that. Applying x3 means without anything else on the plate you shouldn't be selling it for less than £9, do the same on your side items and you'll see if your £13 is fair to you and the pub ;)

Im taking most of his advice mate. The 3x thing sounds good. Im just waiting fo my prices which i will find out tomoz. Then i gotta ingredient it all. should be fun. Its very hard work and im impressing myself haha.

Im fucking pissed off with the Dog stuff who ever posts these are cunts end of i dont find it funny. Its really derails me and pisses me off. I try to get over it and people just keep fucking reminding me of it day in day out. PRICKS!!

I love the fact that a mere 13 mins after posting this you seem to have dealt with the anger.

Anyway, good luck Si, I hope it works out for you.

I have seen that Gordon Ramsey knobhead's show and basically each week has the same format - and it is something that you can use as an underlying principle. He goes into an underperforming restaurant, then he acts a bit of a prima donna and then he sorts it out. But his solutions are all the same. This is how he sorts it...

1. Get some locally sourced ingredients.

2. Simplify the menu.

3. Tart the place up a bit.

So number 1 and 2 above should be the foundation of your menu.