You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Their prices got inflated mostly thanks to the homegrown players rules, of course it wasn't always the case.

There is just no value in the British market, absolutely fuck all, unless the player has 1 year left on his contract. That's why it makes me pull hairs out that we're apparently 'going British'.

Are there plans for homegrown rules to get harsher at any stage? ie are they going to introduce having to have half your 11 on the pitch homegrown or something? If not why does it seem we are really pushing for the English signings considering the prices that have to be paid?

Ferdinand £30m - Carrick £18m - Hargreaves £18m.

These are all deals done by Man United and in the case of the first two have been present in much of the mancs trophiy haul's.

Any deal for Henderson will be done with an initial fee up front and then various clauses which if activated will then equal the amount we have offered Sunderland.

Henderson is 20 yrs old i think so if he signs on a 5 yr contract he will still only be 25 and therefore unless he totally flops then he should retain his value.

If he is a success here he could potetentially get another contract and therefore we could end up getting 10yrs service out of the lad.

Going against the grain but i have asked a couple of Sunderland fans about the lad and both of them were full of praise and think he will be a cracking signing for us.

Sorry if that upsets some people who would prefer if he was shit.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That requires official adjudication from the ridiculousometer:

not ridiculous <---------------------|-> ridiculous

These are all deals done by Man United and in the case of the first two have been present in much of the mancs trophiy haul's.

Any deal for Henderson will be done with an initial fee up front and then various clauses which if activated will then equal the amount we have offered Sunderland.

Henderson is 20 yrs old i think so if he signs on a 5 yr contract he will still only be 25 and therefore unless he totally flops then he should retain his value.

If he is a success here he could potetentially get another contract and therefore we could end up getting 10yrs service out of the lad.

Going against the grain but i have asked a couple of Sunderland fans about the lad and both of them were full of praise and think he will be a cracking signing for us.

Agree with every word. He will mature into a very fine player and would be worth the outlay.

PS: Bitches will always moan!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Agree with every word. He will mature into a very fine player and would be worth the outlay.

PS: Bitches will always moan!

I've hardly seen anybody moan about the player.

So let's get a left back after Henderson and fuck the rest off.

-----------------------pepe

---flanno--------carra--------kelly-----------?

-----------------------lucas

------------------------------gerrard

-----------suso

----------------------------------------pacheco

--------------------suarez

--------------------------carroll

Nevermind Henderson starting, we haven't arrived until there's 18mil sat on the bench.

Yes, but United were doing this kind of thing from a position of strength, adding touches here and there to an already league winning outfit. We haven't got the same luxury.

The point i was going to make but you beat me to it.

They just needed tweaking at the time, a bit of depth here or there or a player in a particular position.

We need an overhaul to the squad, they didn't. Incomparable.

again, it'll all come down to what we end up spending.

Yes, but United were doing this kind of thing from a position of strength, adding touches here and there to an already league winning outfit. We haven't got the same luxury.

exactly. I really don't care how much we spend on a player as long as it is not our only signing as we have spent all our cash. If Henderson or Downing came here and we overpaid, i won't care as long as we have signed another 3 or 4 players and some of them for more money than them. It's all relative. Give me Henderson and Downing but give me Mata/Hazard and a couple of other players also please.

Are we even in for any holding mids? We need to stop getting bossed in mid in some games.

Pacheco and Suso are good options from the bench but neither Flannagan or Kelly will oust Johnson @ rb full time

re: Henderson - not really sure why we are going after him tbh

would rather we had tied down Mata and or Young before going after Henderson - and even then i would prioritise a left back ahead of him

£18m for a kid who won't enhance our midfield seems a bit of an odd bit of business to me

Its just weird Liverpool is willing to spend that amount on an area they are fairly strong. That tells me they have plenty of money. i actually like Liverpool and hope he does well for you if you get him.

Kelly doesn't need to, he'll be a CB, and maybe our next Hansen. If he stays and plays as well as he can he'll be captain one day.

all of that is true but he won't be starting at cb next season - especially if we are deffo going to move Agger on cos we'll be getting someone with more experience in to replace him

Pacheco and Suso are good options from the bench but neither Flannagan or Kelly will oust Johnson @ rb full time

re: Henderson - not really sure why we are going after him tbh

would rather we had tied down Mata and or Young before going after Henderson - and even then i would prioritise a left back ahead of him

£18m for a kid who won't enhance our midfield seems a bit of an odd bit of business to me

That sentence kind of sums it up.

Our so called transfer targets seem to show that we not looking on fully challenging for at least two years. Most likely get shot down for saying that but I can not see how buying Henderson and jones will make us compete with the top four. Do people think signing those two players will improve our squad as it stands?

Well, Jones is an improvement on what we have. I'd much rather have him in the first XI than Skrtel.

We'll need to wait more before making that judgement, it's too soon. We may well be close to signing other players but the press didn't hear about it, we just don't know.

If the entirety of our summer signings are Wickham, Henderson, Jones and Downing then i'll agree, but I don't think that'll be the case.

Guest TK-421
That sentence kind of sums it up.

Our so called transfer targets seem to show that we not looking on fully challenging for at least two years. Most likely get shot down for saying that but I can not see how buying Henderson and jones will make us compete with the top four. Do people think signing those two players will improve our squad as it stands?

Yeah, I reckon that's the plan. Aim to challenge in two years. It sounds like Dalglish's style to a tee.