You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

I see the rumours are getting so some people and we are not even 10 days into the transfer windows.

The way this thread going, its going to implode on itself.

I think all thats happening is people are getting panicky because we're about to possibly spend the guts of 40 million on Downing and Henderson. If we could sign Downing for 10-12 million which is probably what he realistically is worth without the English Tax you'd find a lot more people receptive to him coming.

Same with Henderson, I think alot people would be delighted if we could pick him up for anywhere around 7/8 million. But for 18. It starts getting into the realms of nervousness.

I think all thats happening is people are getting panicky because we're about to possibly spend the guts of 40 million on Downing and Henderson. If we could sign Downing for 10-12 million which is probably what he realistically is worth without the English Tax you'd find a lot more people receptive to him coming.

Same with Henderson, I think alot people would be delighted if we could pick him up for anywhere around 7/8 million. But for 18. It starts getting into the realms of nervousness.

But it comes down to the manager and how much you trust him. If he would of said 15 million or no deal then fair play. But Kenny sees something in the kid, something that the player can add to the team/squad and said ok heres another 3.5 million on top (and I seriously doubt thats straight up cash), then that indicates he really wants that player.

I trust him enought to not hit the panic button just yet. If it was just him were going for then the panic is justified as we have many areas in the team where we are lacking.

He is not the only player we are going for, we do have money to buy other players and we are not going for just young English talent.

Some of the replies in this very thread though suggest otherwise.

18.5 million, is a tad bit over the top but nothing to panic over.

Young, scorer of England's equaliser against Switzerland on Saturday, has been strongly linked with a move to Liverpool or Manchester United this summer.

He has only one year remaining on his Villa contract and wants to experience Champions League football and play in World Cups and European Championships.

Young said: "I've always had the belief I can play at the highest level.

"I've always had self-belief. I've always had the confidence I can play at the highest level.

"I want to test myself at World Cups, European Championships and the Champions League.

"As a kid you always want to play in the best competitions. As a kid I wanted to play in the Champions League - and hopefully one day I will.

"People say the prime of your careers is aged 25, 26, 27. I'm 26 next month so hopefully I'm coming into my prime."

Young has constantly intimated he will speak with Lerner before announcing any news about his future - and nothing has changed.

He said: "I'm going away on holiday. But I said at the end of the season I was going to speak to the chairman.

"I'm going to talk to him this week and we'll see where we go from there."

Young was frustrated to be axed from the England starting line-up to face the Swiss after impressing in matches against Denmark and Wales.

He responded when brought on as a substitute for Frank Lampard by hammering the equaliser early in the second half and was chosen as the man of the match.

Young said: "I was disappointed not to start, but I wasn't the only one. All the players on the bench want to be in the starting 11.

"I came on at half-time and grabbed it with two hands. Whenever I get the opportunity, I try to do the same thing.

"We found out the team in the morning and I had to get it into my head that I wasn't going to start.

"At half-time the manager told me to go out and play as I've been playing and as I've been training, and that's what I felt I did when I came on.

"It was great to score a goal, and even nicer to get man of the match, but I'd have swapped them both for three points."

Young believes the current England side has the right blend of youth and experience despite their stutter against the Swiss.

He said: "I think we've got a good mix in the squad. You look at the senior players in the team and youngsters who are coming through. We've got a good balance from the back to the front.

"With the new formation we are playing (4-3-3), it helps everyone rotate.

"Everyone knows their jobs, we all work for each other and we showed that team spirit by coming from 2-0 down.

"It shows the character we've got."

Source: Liverpool Echo

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.

Liverpool target wants to play at highest level - Liverpool FC

He is not the only player we are going for, we do have money to buy other players and we are not going for just young English talent.

18.5 million, is a tad bit over the top but nothing to panic over.

Well if the bit in bold turns out to be true I doubt anyone will give a monkeys about Henderson and Downing being worth a combined 35-40 million.

But lots of people are making lots of assumptions. If we sign them for 40 million we better have another 30/40 left over because we'll need it. Either that or we better end up shifting all the deadwood for at least 30.

Neither scenario seems likely to me. So in that respect I can understand people being nervous about spending a significant chunk of money on those two.

As for 18.5 million being a tad over the top for Henderson, mate its more than a tad over the top. Maybe it will be structured in such a way that its performance based etc... but its still going to be a significant of money up front on a very raw talent.

Agger set to leave according to Liverpool Echo.

I can't find the story on their site, but here is the story from the Danish media who says Echo is reporting it.

The Danish article says Agger is certain to leave the club after Leverkusen bid 11 mill. euro. Malaga is also interested.

Medie: Byder 80 millioner for Agger - TV 2 Sporten

Daniel Agger er en populær spiller rundt om i Europa, og ifølge den lokale avis fra Liverpool, har Bundesliga-klubben budt 80 millioner kroner for danskeren.

"En spiller, der med sikkerhed forlader klubben er Daniel Agger efter, at Bayer Leverkusen angiveligt har tilbudt hele 11 millioner Euro (82 millioner danske kroner) for den danske forsvarer, som også Hamburger SV samt Malaga har udtrykt interesse i," skriver Liverpool Echo ifølge sporten.dk.

Daniel Agger har spillet i Liverpool siden 2006, men den sidste tid har været meget præget af skader.

Hovedpersonen selv har tidligere udtalt, at han ønsker at blive i Liverpool, og at han stadig har masser at give klubben.

My views exactly. I trust Kenny and the club, but that doesn't mean I'll blindly believe that we couldn't do any better than those two players for the mammoth prices being banded about. Downing has had a pretty mediocre Premiership and International career. Henderson is an exciting prospect, but then again so is Shelvey. 30-40m for those two players is extortionate no matter how you look at it.

Henderson has only missed one premier league game this season for Sunderland, at 20 year old that's some achievement. Whether he's worth 18.5 million is yet to be seen, but the feeling on here suggests we don't want to 'waste' money on players based on potential, but, if we have the cash to splash it's always worth planning for the future. Something Kenny and Damien are evidently doing at the second with interest in some of the best young english players.

I'm still 100% backing Kenny and Damien to get the best players for next season.

Agger set to leave according to Liverpool Echo.

I can't find the story on their site, but here is the story from the Danish media who says Echo is reporting it.

The Danish article says Agger is certain to leave the club after Leverkusen bid 11 mill. euro. Malaga is also interested.

Medie: Byder 80 millioner for Agger - TV 2 Sporten

Daniel Agger er en populær spiller rundt om i Europa, og ifølge den lokale avis fra Liverpool, har Bundesliga-klubben budt 80 millioner kroner for danskeren.

"En spiller, der med sikkerhed forlader klubben er Daniel Agger efter, at Bayer Leverkusen angiveligt har tilbudt hele 11 millioner Euro (82 millioner danske kroner) for den danske forsvarer, som også Hamburger SV samt Malaga har udtrykt interesse i," skriver Liverpool Echo ifølge sporten.dk.

Daniel Agger har spillet i Liverpool siden 2006, men den sidste tid har været meget præget af skader.

Hovedpersonen selv har tidligere udtalt, at han ønsker at blive i Liverpool, og at han stadig har masser at give klubben.

Google translate:

Media: Bid 80 million for Agger - TV 2 Sport

Daniel Agger is a popular player across Europe, and according to the local newspaper from Liverpool, the Bundesliga club offered 80 million for the Dane.

"One player who certainly leave the club, Daniel Agger after Bayer Leverkusen reportedly has offered as many as 11 million euros (82 million Danish) for the Danish defender who also Hamburger SV and Malaga have expressed interest in," writes Liverpool Echo according sporten.dk.

Daniel Agger has played in Liverpool since 2006 but recently has been much influenced by injuries.

The player himself has previously stated that he wants to be in Liverpool, and that he still has plenty to offer the club.

Liverpool are reportedly interested in Barcelona forwards Bojan Krkic and Jeffren, the Daily Mail reports. The Reds have been linked with the young forwards for some time and manager Kenny Dalglish is looking to rebuild his squad for a push into the Champions League places next season.

The Merseysiders have supposedly made contact with Barcelona over the forwards and are expected to make a £17 million offer for the pair with both reported to be unhappy with the lack of first team football they are getting at the Nou Camp.

Was going to ask if anyone else just laughed when they saw this, then I just saw that it said The Daily Fail reports, and laughed again. No chance!

Also, there's this on Bojan's wiki page : Bojan put pen-to-paper on a contract extension on 20 December 2010 with Barcelona, which will keep him at the club until 2015 and increase his buy-out clause from 80 to €100 million

Fuck off Daily Fail, you're now even worse than the Mirror for football rumours to me.

But you just know he wont RP. He is a quality centre back but he is made of glass. Thanks Dan but we will take the decent offer.

Probably not, but if he wanted to stay would be happy and tell the other clubs to forget it. If he does want to go though, would haggle around with prices until we got a decent bit of money for him. (which would be hard with his injury record, but still worth a try.)

I love Dan when he's on the pitch but it's quite ridiculous how injury plagued he is and it's doubtful that's going to get better as he gets older.

If we could get 10mil plus for him that's good money and there has been a lot of talk from the club about not having players who never play.

What Agger wants in this is irrelevant IMO. We need to develop a proper squad which will challenge for honours. Unfortunately for Dan he is not available often enough to be a member of such a squad. The article above mentions 3 interested parties so get them all bidding.

Dundalis? With respect that's UTTER rubbish mate. Andy Carroll wasn't and Isn't overrated - Theo Walcott, Ashley Young and even Glen Johnson as well; Have All played pretty much as well as their 'hype' said they would (i.e. Good in their positions but not The Very best - Not yet anyway - Young in particular looks quite a gamechanger If the weekend is anything to go by) so for you to come out with a catch-all ridiculously overarching and quite frankly pathetic statement like that about Rooney? Is well, pathetic...........

As far as I can see and I should think to anyone who might be worrying about our targets on here? It is Clear what FSG and the King are doing right now; To those who look properly. It's twofold. Firstly? They're bringing back the Real 'Liverpool Way' this site is named for - You know? The one on Transfers whereby we do (or appear to be doing Nothing) and then BANG!!! 3 or 4 signings including a couple of 'marquees' appear out of the fcuking blue. Secondly? I think that they (Kenny, FSG etc) are trying to - rather than flooding our Academies and Youth systems with foreign youngsters yet again? - To instead do something a Little bit different This time. I think what they've done instead? Is steal the Teachers at Barcelona who brought up, trained the way they did and essentially created the players there who eventually evolved into what they have now; And further to the process (begun under Rafa' don't forget) of all this - They've changed the Entire setup of our younger sides and reserves to concentrate on Ability (and Time with coaches) rather than Winning so as to produce as many gifted players as possible and eventually? Start our own Barca' style 'talent factory' that Will suit us in good stead for years to come.

In short, I think we've established a 'talent school' as it were; One well capable of in the future? Producing us talented, gifted and exciting youngsters by the dozen (who are all confident on the ball and in their own abilities) rather than the odd time in each decade If we're lucky thereby also giving us a way of building, then sustainingThe backbone of our team relatively cheaply compared to the ridiculously massive outlays we've spent and wasted on doing so in the last couple of decades. So essentially? Rather than flood Our Academy with cheap and gifted imports? We'll (probably) end up flooding the English Game as a whole with Our own cheap and gifted youngsters who don't make it but are still very good players thanks to our new Catalan run & directed academy - Meanwhile? Those who do make it? Might just make our team eventually into something like an English Barcelona in both style of play (which is already becoming distinctly continental in our Younger sides) and method of youth development (focused Heavily on skills rather than winning).

Doing This? Is the ONLY way to create a team like Barcelona and it takes more than a while, along with lots of trial and error; However - In our case? It's already been going on for what? 3/4 years now ever since Rafa' beganrestructuring the Academy back in '08 was it? Anyway - The results are already becoming clear - A lot earlier than many thought they would. We've had Robinson, Flanagan, Kelly and Spearing allprove to be First Team Class Players capable of stepping up where necessary now; Together with some Far more exciting talent in the likes of Suso, Sterling, Coady and Morgan waiting in the wings. And all This after What? Gerrard, Carragher, Owen and at a stretch maybe Thompson and Steven Wright in 10 years - This little lot though? Have arrived in less than 4 which goes only to show One thing I think above all else? England or rather it's national side (and it's main current club side if you count those b*stards down the road who are moaning about not having enough timefor their youngsters with coaches - Something we're already addressing) are distinctly LAZY no? We are showing with what we're doing right now at Youth level - That if you Reallywant to do it right and fix what's Reallywrong in the English game as regards bringing youngsters through? (The coaching and philosophy) Then it Can be done and quite well to.

Basically? What Barcelona have done or at least the beginnings of it? CAN Be done over here - We're showing this right now. Where all this takes us mind, should be interesting to the say the least; However? I've a feeling a Lot of our future transfer activity whilst taking care of the First Team's needs primarily? Will be focused on This area and getting the youngest and best talents in the English Game; Most particularly ENGLISH players to the Academy so as to follow the 'Homegrown' and 'Financial Fair Play' rules that are now imminent. Who knows? In the end? Wouldn't it be just like us to be the ones who show England the way to go at Youth level in order to produce Proper footballers; Or maybe we'll provide them with the basis of a Real side in the future from all our recent spadework at Youth level. Who knows what might happen now? One things for sure - our future's certainly looking exciting right now; Either way? Time will tell as to where all this take us, sooner or later? Time will tell.......................

Carroll not overrated? We bought him for 35 million pounds based on half a season of decent football. Carroll is the fucking definition of overrated. Not to say he won't end up being a good player, just that he's overrated based on hype and the price.

Theo Walcott, without question overrated. He was touted as being the next big thing, better than Rooney people were saying, a superstar in the making. He's a decent player and nothing more. Ashley Young was more of a late developer, and therefore never had the hype machine behind him. He and Glen Johnson are solid players, not genuine top class.

The rest of that post is full of fairytale crap. You are kidding yourself if you think we are going to develop a side like Barca's. They are a one off. It would be great if even one of our youth players turns into a world class player, much less getting a bunch of them like Barca. But fact is the chances are against even producing one player to a world class level. I'm all for giving the youth players a shot, but if we want to challenge, we have to bring in world class talent. Right now. Else you can kiss getting back our title record goodbye, and probably even Champions League football, as you know the Arse, the two Manc clubs and Chelsea are going to be bringing in top class players, and they already have much better squads.

After a promising debut season, Wilson was awarded both the Scottish FWA Young Player of the Year award and the Scottish PFA Young Player of the Year award.[7] He was also voted as Rangers Young Player of the Year by the clubs supporters.

He's clearly got something at CB, get off his case.

Carrolls price tag? We still moaning about that?

Henderson has only missed one premier league game this season for Sunderland, at 20 year old that's some achievement. Whether he's worth 18.5 million is yet to be seen, but the feeling on here suggests we don't want to 'waste' money on players based on potential, but, if we have the cash to splash it's always worth planning for the future. Something Kenny and Damien are evidently doing at the second with interest in some of the best young english players.

I'm still 100% backing Kenny and Damien to get the best players for next season.

Fuck off, it's an achievement that he simply played games because he is 20? If that is the criteria for being a top young player then England really does have fuck all youth coming through.

Have anyone actually found the Agger story in the Echo or on their site?

I find the story a bit weird since I'm unable to find it on their site - how come 2 Danish media have it on their site before the paper that actually broke the story does?

Didn't want to post things that wasn't true - the verdict is still out on this one I suppose?

Here's an update regarding Agger. Apparently it's News of the World who got the story and not the Echo. Don't know if it's Bascombe or not, but here is a translation of the latest from another Danish media:

Liverpool ready to sell Daniel Agger sources on Merseyside tell tv2sport.dk that Liverpool are ready to sell the Danish defender Daniel Agger, as was reported Monday. If the price is otherwise appropriate.

Daniel Agger made ​​today in connection with a move to Leverkusen, who allegedly offered the entire 11 million euros - equivalent to around 82 million dollars.

ALSO READ: Agger procure 100,000 to soldiers - starts fund

And now reads message across tv2sport.dk that Liverpool are ready for a sale of the Dane.

Will sell at the right price

Without confirming the story of a concrete bid from Leverkusen is true, says sources in Liverpool, the English big club is willing to drop the Danish center defender, if the price is otherwise correct.

Liverpool are reportedly worried that Daniel Agger could ever get rid of the many injuries that have caused significant problems since the switch from Brondby in 2006.

Daniel Agger, who has repeatedly denied that he would be moving away from Liverpool, joined the Premier League last season on the injury list. He was not there when Denmark at the weekend defeated Iceland 2-0. The defender has played a total of 136 matches and scored seven times for Liverpool.

The club has this summer been linked with both Bolton's Gary Cahill and Dejan Lovre from Lyon, who both play in central defense.

ListenRead phonetically

Liverpool klar til at sælge Daniel Agger | TV 2 SPORT