You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa on Football Focus

tea

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“It’s an indictment of Rafa Benitez’s six years at the club that the team should be so reliant on just two players.

“I don’t think it’s any big surprise he was fired because the thing that defines your time at a football club is how many good players you bring into the club – and Rafa simply didn’t sign enough of them.

“He was there six years and made a net spend of around £140m but only signed two players who I would regard as truly world class – Fernando Torres and Jose Reina.

“To have spent the kind of money he has and only come up with two players is an awful indictment and ultimately doomed him.

“When you look at the squad now, I think it’s actually worse off than it was when he first took it over."

Bring your note book, Rafa!

‘They have both got fantastic records as managers, haven’t they?’. ‘The volume control on my Sky handset is a very good thing, because it meant I was able to switch it right down when they came on.

‘If someone chooses to talk too much, that is their problem. Just look at what they did as managers. Fantastic. People will look at that and know how to treat what they say. I honestly don’t bother to listen to comments like that. I will just concentrate on what I know and what I have done and let people make their own judgments.

‘I don’t know if there is any hidden agenda in Klinsmann being on Sky twice and us playing each time. Is he after my job? I really do not know. All I can be sure of is that these sort of things will still be coming out in four or five years and I still won’t be taking any notice.’

Rafa hasn't got anything to fear from Souness, I just hope that he realises that. The fact of the matter is this, Rafa was from Spain and understand what the club means to us, and this is regardless of what you think of his success or lack off.

Souness played for us for 6 years, could arguably lay claim to be the most important player during that time, but as a manager he never understood us. He is an incredibly articulate and intelligent pundit, who talks from experience not from an autocue, but sadly for all he achieved as a player, it isn't what he is remembered for in my opinion.

If Rafa Benitez has any intention of managing another English club in the near future then appearing on BBC’s Football Focus and Sky’s Champions League coverage, may help him build bridges with the national media in this country and is probably a smart PR move.

He has been on TV a lot lately. I wonder if we will ever see him in Dictionary Corner on Countdown or on Loose Women as a guest?

I'm actually surprised he's going to be in the studio for Sky after the amount of shit he's had off them over the years.

I couldn't imagine him being in there if it was still Keys and Grey. I'm sure he's had words about Redknapp in his time too. Will be interesting viewing!

I couldn't imagine him being in there if it was still Keys and Grey. I'm sure he's had words about Redknapp in his time too. Will be interesting viewing!

harry_hill431x300.jpg

"So Jamie, who did run the midfield in Liverpool's 4-1 win at Old Trafford in March 2009?

Was it Xabi Alonso or Lucas Leiva pinging thoses passes around?

I can't decide, so there's only one to find out...

FIGHT!"