You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anny Road

Can't see it myself; not with last years LMA manager of the year sitting idle.:whistle:

To be fair - not being funny I could actually see him doing a half decent job there and getting them to 17th or something. He's actually a decent manager at that sort of level and expectation.

The only question is whether the Hammers fans would accept two banks of four in exchange for Prem survival (my guess, based on fuck all, would be yes)

Either way good luck to the guy wherever he lands up, I haven't said this since the summer of 2004 but he's gone and I'm actually over it. And it feels good!

Guest San Don

fucking martin oneill is getting nowhere near my balls to suck them! He can fuck right off as far as im concerned.

Nearest that little shitehawk should get to managing Liverpool is the oppos manager seat at Anfield.

• 3 weeks later...

Henry Winter has named Martin O'Neil as one of his managers of the season, you couldn't make it up.

He also says this "Boards admire O'Neill because he inspires teams. He might even collect a few "if only" votes when Manager of the Year is polled". Even the LMA cannot hand out awards to men who haven't managed in the season can they?

Henry Winter: unlikely lads Holloway, Martin O'Neill and Owen Coyle earn all managerial plaudits - Telegraph

Winter must be slipping. He mentioned a foreigner in that article.

12 or so footballers/mangers mentioned, and one of them is Swedish! He must have misread Stockholm as Stockton.

This writer is a tiresome bore with a transparent agenda.

I think this reply is as close to the villa fans perspective as it gets.... Walking out five days before the season with all staff just the day after Mark Hughes (natural replacement) took the fulham job should tell you about the man.. Stick with the man who loves the club and will put it first rather than his own legacy

He agreed with Lerner the transfer policy at the start of the summer, then walked out on us five days before the start of the season, taking the entire football management side of the club with him, and created the situation we've been in this season, but the fact we've reacted to it is some sort of vindication of him?

Honestly, Henry, you're a good journalist, but do you ever stop and think rationally where MON is concerned? Can you not at least try to see both sides of the story here?

Here's something to think about. In 2009, like the previous two years, we desperately needed a striker. At that point, Bent went to Sunderland for £10m.

In that window, O'Neill bought Warnock, Collins and Dunne for a combined £18m.

These were to replace Davies, Shorey and Knight he'd signed in the previous 12 months (combined total £18m). He's also signed Carlos Cuellar for another £8m in that time. Not to mention Luke Young (who he spent 5m on, having passed up the chance to get him for half that the season before), and Habib Beye (a 32 year old on 40k a week for three years).

As I said, when he was on this spending spree (the highlights of which were signing Shorey, then decided he didn't rate him a few weeks later, and spending £30m on centre halves in a little over a year), Bent went to Sunderland for what now looks like a pittance. At the same time, MON's idea of a striker was Marlon Harewood. How's that for clever use of transfer fees?

MON was told that he had to do something about the wage bill. We had high earners (Beye, Sidwell, NRC, Davies, Shorey) contributing nothing, but sapping wages money away.

He then decided he didn't fancy doing that, and walked. At that point, his Fleet St fan club decided it was because Lerner had pulled the plug. The club said this was not the case, and that it was a matter of making sure "the right money goes to the right players". Surely this is something which every league manager has to do? So why should Martin have been different.

What is particularly galling is the fact that, having proven in the very next window that he certainly has not stopped the investment, this then doesn't get accepted as proof of Lerner's good faith, it gets spinned as some kind of vindication of MON. Incredible. As a poorer journalist than yourself often says, you couldn't make it up.

MON did a very good job for us, I am not going to deny that, but the fact is that great managers are also judged on their legacy, and Martin's legacy was absolute turmoil, walking out on us when he did with such contempt.

I don't expect to see tabloid journalists acknowledge this, but I'd at least expect to see some sort of nod towards it in the quality press.