You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For the NHL fans (ie-me, kurt and truered)

Montreal-Boston- a classic sprong match-up. Two years ago Les Glorieux bounced Boston. If Jose Theodore plays well, it could happen again, although Montreal are young and a little inexperienced.

Toronto- Ottawa... Imagine going to Anfield to play the manc or Everton and 2/3 of the crowd is supporting the away team. That's what happens in Ottawa when the senators play the leafs, the Leaf fans snap up all the tickets and outshout(over the arena music they play and the scoreboard that tells fans to cheer ofcourse) the home fans. The rivalry is getting so heated that one Senator fan...gasp....shock..... scaled a wall and took down a Leaf flag from a house. Canadian hooliganism at its worst. :).

I'm going for the Leafs, the team of my youth.

Bye bye devils, flyers will trounce em, sorry Chris.

No Stanely cup for you this year, too many inexperienced defencemen.

Got to agree Toronto v Ottawa the pick of the 1st round match ups.

I am flying to Denver 15th may right in middle of play-offs, cannot wait to get out there and see more action!

although Montreal are young and a little inexperienced.

Well, it can be a blessing in disguise. And my team will only get better with time. And its only now you see the real Montreal, when all players comes back from injuries. And all the crap from the media made them suffer a dip in confidence...but now they are ready... Rookie of the year (surely) Ryder... Theodore...Koivo.... Souray... Go Montreal... Habs for the Stanley Cup!!! :)

I think the Canadiens will win or lose depending on the injury to Sheldon Sourey, if it's bad and he can't mamage the powerplay properly, they will hit trouble.

Everything intensifes in the playoffs, what battles in the Eastern Conference 1st round.

Alanis ummm I do like her!

And almost forgot, Kurt, the famous speed skater ( I think) Johan Olav Koss came here and married a hot blonde who ran for the Conservative Party leadership. They're divorced now, so he probably married her just to get citizenship...:)

LOL.... Forgot about that one... Koss is the boss...or is that Tom Ross?... Nevermind... Koss won three olympic gold medals at the winter olympics in 1994 smashing all world records at the same time... Not sure if it was the citizenship or her money he was after, cos she was/is stinking rich if i remember correctly! ...probably the money! ;)

Bye bye devils, flyers will trounce em, sorry Chris.

No Stanely cup for you this year, too many inexperienced defencemen.

Got to agree Toronto v Ottawa the pick of the 1st round match ups.

I am flying to Denver 15th may right in middle of play-offs, cannot wait to get out there and see more action!

Hey room for one NHL fan....

Surely New Jersey will win it again...for the last 2 or 3 seassons the devils had one of the best defences.In my mind Scott stevens is the best defenceman around...

Put your lifesavings on Nashville kicking the redwings out...just a tip

Welcome to the NHL club.

If Scott Stevens was 100% they would indeed have that chance, but after his post concussion sydrome he is going to have to be so careful out there and not play his normal game.

Players will be gunning for him, after all hasn't it been Scott Stevens delivering the big hits in the past, someone will get him.

Good call on Nashville, although I have a feeling about Calgary this year in the west strong goalkeeping and ignila does look good.

Stevens is a big question mark, as for Nashville, I don't think Detriot can choke twice in a row. But Nashville does have Jodin Tootoo, the first Inuit (Eskimo) to play in the NHL.

Woohoo- five in the club. now. Come on , DT... you know you want to join. And best of all, no Dancin Dave..arf arf

Clagary has Kiprusoff, the Finn goalie who has been unbeatable, and Vancouver are missing Bertuzzi who created lots of space, so I think Calgary will take the Canucks.

He took out Karyia in the final last year also, luckily though he managed to come straight back!

The upset I think that is on the club is Calgary taking out Vancouver!

NO matter east or west who can get some consistant goalkeeping will do well, there is so much offensive going into these playoffs it's going to be good to watch.

... and Nellie Furtado, another Canadian, has had one of her songs named the official song of Euro 2004. (Her parents were born in the Azores). Slowly, we are taking over Europe and the World.

I think Lindros still doesn't know where he is three years later....

Perhaps I'll ring her up and tell her to put in a good word about Liverpool to Mourinho, and that Jason deVos would be an excellent signing.

Are the mighty Ducks under Emilio Estevez's management any good this season?

GOd, I know nothing about ice hockey. Oh, that's not true.

Esbjerg just won the Danish title after the 7th and final game of the final series. They were 2-0 down and equalised 3 seconds before the end before going on to score in extra time.

OK, DT, first lesson- it is not extra-time, but called overtime. And they play till someone scores, which can last all night. Sometimes they play four or five extra periods, which is in essence the same as playing two or three games in one night.

Toronto were horrible, but they will rebound, Refs were awful- it was like they'd cloned Mike Riley, put him in a stripped shirt and gave him skates. Ottawa was hitting hard, and if they keep that up they'll have no problem.

DT, best hockey movie is "Slapshot" with Paul Newman. It's got some bare breasts, organ music and three brothers with mullets indulging in gratitious violence. And a loopy French Canadian.

Can I join the NHL Club ?

I was in Toronto in March visiting my daughter who is in college there and we saw Leafs play Boston having seen Sabres against New York Islanders a couple of nights before.

As a result I signed up for NASN when I got home just to watch the Play Offs which meant my Easter weekend was spent watching all the games they covered.

My daughter managed to get a ticket for the first play off game against Ottawa and said that she had never seen anything like it.

One question for you NHL experts - whenever I have declared that I am supporting Toronto to my mates they ask why of all the teams to choose did I pick them. Are Toronto the Man Utd of NHL or something ?

Andy

Go Leafs Go

The Leafs (sorry., DT the Leaves) are the top club financially and support wise, but not the most successful. Montreal have won 24 Stanley Cups, last one in 1993. The Nwew York Rangers have the most money, but they spend like Chelski and buy a whole bunch of players who don't work together as a team and haven't made the play-offs for three or four years.

Toronto has many fans in all cities in Canada because it was just them and Montreal until 1972 (Vancouver) 1980 (Calgary, Edmonton) 1992 (Ottawa).

Winnipeg and Quebec City had teams but they relocated to Colorado and Phoenix because of the weak Canadian dollar, escalating salaries and the refusal of city leaders to buld new stadia.