You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt look doubtful to me, we're in a crap position but we'll stay up. The teams below us need to string two wins in a row together to have a chance of overtaking us, they're to crap to do that and 3 of our next 4 are at home to crap teams, we'll be fine though under Hodgson it would have been different.

I just wont be judging them on one january window where every single manager says its crap to do business in. After the summer is the time for it. Theyve said they're trying in this window so lets just see what happens, I'd be delighted with one good/really good player and we can do proper business in the summer where other teams are also in a better position to take some of our rubbish off us.

you have more faith than me then. our squad while perhaps better than anyone outside the top 5, is in disarray. Confidence is shattered and time and again teams and squads as good as ours have spiraled downwards from this position. We've had one decent run of form all season, in the immediate aftermath of the take over and aside from that we've been bottom 3 form all season. We need players that are better than konchesky, poulsen, N'gog and Jovanovic. We need to stop thinking about being the best team ever for 5 minutes, stop worrying about the need to buy players who will be here for 10 years and just make up for the lack of investment over the past 3 years and buy players who are better than the ones wearing the shirt now. It might be a difficult market, but I wasn't saying it would be easy - business never is and that is the price FSG pay for buying a club in distress both on and off the pitch. As far as I am concerned the club needs to step up and invest in the squad. We need 5 players - 4 would be a minimum, anything else is a cop out.

I'm increasingly thinking that this squad is going to need a two-stage upgrade. First half a team NOW to improve on where we are. For me that means players from these islands who know how the premiership works. Shawcross, Cahill, Neil Dann, etc, etc. Then, and only then can we start to think about players of the ilk of M'Vila or Suarez, or the 'next big thing' such as Chamberlain. We're years away from being able to compete again with the big boys. So i hope the owners have deep pockets and i hope they don't think, a la hicks and gillett, that you can invest once (ie summer of 2007) and then never again. As fans we might have to accept that we're going to be in for players who are decent rather than outstanding (ie Charlie Adam, N'Zogbia) for the time being.

As i have made clear, I'm sceptical. that might not be their fault, it might be the hangover of the ancien regime, but they need to understand that haven't inherited goodwill here from the fans in the way that we saw in 2007.

Good player but we need wide-men. defenders and a centre mid before we need a striker.

Suarez has played both wide positions, as a lone centre forward and as an out and out striker for Ajax successfully. He could fulfil a number of positions but, he has the pick of a lot of teams you would think so it would be difficult for us to get him being realistic

Suarez has played both wide positions, as a lone centre forward and as an out and out striker for Ajax successfully. He could fulfil a number of positions but, he has the pick of a lot of teams you would think so it would be difficult for us to get him being realistic

Wide in a front 3 and wide in a midfield 4 are two different positions.

If he can play wide in a midfield 4, I am all for it.

Wide in a front 3 and wide in a midfield 4 are two different positions.

If he can play wide in a midfield 4, I am all for it.

We don't play with a 4 man midfield though to be fair and even if we did play with a 442 he would then move into the second striker position.

If we could bring him in and Ashley Young it would be a massive statement of intent and would also give us so many more options going forward it would be untrue.

Sadly I can't see that happening, not even in the summer