You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New lap top advice

Nantwich girl

Guest Scaramanga
No, actually I don't. So you're talking build quality here?

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more specific. The actual build quality of Novatech's are pretty poor.

I actually remember the first laptops they sold in this country. Re-badged "generic" laptops from a UK distributor, they sent me one as a tester when I expressed an interest. Absolute fucking rubbish.

You can still see them online, badged as Acorn laptops.

Another manufacturer I would highly recommend staying away from is Medion/Tevion. Again, same parts, but the build quality is so poor it's unbelievable. I used to work in the UK Medion repair centre and saw these things come back in their hundreds.

Because they couldn't repair the things fast enough they used to send out new laptops as a replacement. Knowing full well they would inevitably come back.

• 10 months later...

TNF'ers. Does anyone have an Alienware laptop or desktop ? I was thinking of saving a few pennies and getting one around Christmas. My HP Pavillion is on it's last legs after 5 years. You can build your own from the base, and I was looking at this one.

Alienware M17x Laptop Details | Dell Ireland

It has stuff I want, high performance, gaming, 3D stuff, and it looks amazing. Any thoughts people ?

TNF'ers. Does anyone have an Alienware laptop or desktop ? I was thinking of saving a few pennies and getting one around Christmas. My HP Pavillion is on it's last legs after 5 years. You can build your own from the base, and I was looking at this one.

Alienware M17x Laptop Details | Dell Ireland

It has stuff I want, high performance, gaming, 3D stuff, and it looks amazing. Any thoughts people ?

Great piece of kit but seriously overpriced, you can find similair elsewhere that may not look as pretty but do the same job for less cash

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any suggestions for gaming laptops like the Alienware that wont cost you an extortionate amount of money? At the moment I've got a 3 year Sony Vaio that I feel has run it's course and is fairly shit at playing games such as Empire Total War etc.

I think I'd have a budget of £500 maximum. Thanks in advance.

its difficult because as soon as you start looking at 'gaming' laptops the price just rockets up. Memory is dirt cheap so you could easily get a leptop with 8gb of ram for under £500 but its the graphics chip thats the important thing here.

Most laptops between 400-500 quid will come with decent processors whether it be pentium dual core, amd dual core of a higher end core I3 or I5. While entry level graphics chips have massively improved in the last 2 years you'll still need more than that. Its certainly worth going for a slightly lesser cpu and higher gpu for under £500.

Samsung & Acer are probably your best bet.

its difficult because as soon as you start looking at 'gaming' laptops the price just rockets up. Memory is dirt cheap so you could easily get a leptop with 8gb of ram for under £500 but its the graphics chip thats the important thing here.Most laptops between 400-500 quid will come with decent processors whether it be pentium dual core, amd dual core of a higher end core I3 or I5. While entry level graphics chips have massively improved in the last 2 years you'll still need more than that. Its certainly worth going for a slightly lesser cpu and higher gpu for under £500.

Samsung & Acer are probably your best bet.

Anything ranked under 200 on herePassMark Software - Video Card Benchmark Charts - Video Card Model List will be a good enough graphics chip (mine is at 199 and plays everything)