You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

Have you got a link to it?

To what dude? The Carb Nite Solution?

Just Google it and it'll explain what it's about. I have a pdf of it downloaded, and you're welcome to a copy of it if you want to pm me your email. Not sure I have it here at home though. Definitely have it in work, but won't be back in the office until Tuesday.

Edit: Here's the page http://carbnite.com. There's a good few things on YouTube too.

To what dude? The Carb Nite Solution?

Just Google it and it'll explain what it's about. I have a pdf of it downloaded, and you're welcome to a copy of it if you want to pm me your email. Not sure I have it here at home though. Definitely have it in work, but won't be back in the office until Tuesday.

Edit: Here's the page http://carbnite.com. There's a good few things on YouTube too.

Cheers, I'll PM you my email.

Just sent this to Rico there http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

Basically this chap ate over 5500 calories per day on a High Fat Low Carb diet, and did the same eating a High Carb Low Fat diet, and compared the results.

He also kinda disproved the theory of a calorie is a calorie. Scientifically it is ie. it's a unit of energy. But how your body uses that unit of energy is different.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Just sent this to Rico there http://live.smashthefat.com/why-i-didnt-get-fat/

Basically this chap ate over 5500 calories per day on a High Fat Low Carb diet, and did the same eating a High Carb Low Fat diet, and compared the results.

He also kinda disproved the theory of a calorie is a calorie. Scientifically it is ie. it's a unit of energy. But how your body uses that unit of energy is different.

Yep. It's something I argued in this thread a while back.

It certainly works, but it's not for everyone. A lot of people can't live without bread and stuff.

The best thing about it is, as long as you keep your fat intake up and your carb intake down, you can pretty much eat like a pig and lose fat. Not just weight, not muscle. FAT.

The carb nite thing seems like a happy medium, and seems to have scientific evidence to back it up. Basically you keto it until the afternoon of the 10th day. From then until you go to bed, over a 6-8 hours period, you have 3 high carb meals. So maybe at 3pm, 6pm, and 9pm. And basically you eat what you want. Apparently this kickstarts your metabolism again as it can slow down after the initial burst. The following morning though, you're back on the wagon again, and you make that carb nite once a week, but a minimum of 4 days since the previous one. This supposedly kickstarts the fat burning once a week and maintains steady fat loss.

BTW I'm no expert on all this. I'm just regurgitating what I've read. I have been doing the Carb Nite thing for nearly 2 weeks now though, and it's definitely working for me. I've every intention of sticking to it religiously until the holidays on May 20th. By then I won't feel as much of a fraud as I do now by telling people what to do!

• Upvote 2

So I've been looking to start lifting weights and have thought of getting a personal trainer to get comfortable at my gym too many posers and I just feel I have no real idea what I'm doing but not sure how much value I would really get - it's a puregym and all the trainers just look like kids and arseholes.

As an alternative Anyone got any decent links for a simple beginners weight training plan? I just want simple plans for max 3 times a week working the main muscle groups. Legs, arms, chest and back.

Guides Must be idiot proof and around 45mins as I tend to get bored quickly. The goal is to get stronger and help lose fat.

I'm planning on managing what I eat and need to start running at least once a week and I go boxing once a week for the cardio too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am/was in the same situation as you.

Bought myself a bench, weights, barbell and Dumbbells. There was a barbell/dumbbell workout on bodybuilding.com (I think) that suited me grand. I can now get half a session done it'd have taken me to drive to the gym.

I am/was in the same situation as you.

Bought myself a bench, weights, barbell and Dumbbells. There was a barbell/dumbbell workout on bodybuilding.com (I think) that suited me grand. I can now get half a session done it'd have taken me to drive to the gym.

Cheers, thing is I do t really have the space at mine plus I can pretty much see my gym when I walk out my front door and with it being 24hrs and cheap I really don't have much excuse not to go. Just need to get my arse in gear and make some effort.

I think if you want to get stronger and burn fat you should do lifts like, deadlifts, squats, chin ups, pulls ups, chest press, dips and shoulder press. If you tie that in with boxing and some other cardio you'll get stronger and shed fat. As long as your diet is good too.

5x5 seems a bit tough for someone imo . There are some good sites like muscletalk.Co.UK and UK muscle that have beginners programmes on them.

despite what you think in a decent gym no one should laugh at you. Everyone starts somewhere. When I started lifting weights I was totally uncoordinated and weak. Took time to build up. I was 20 at the time and now I see 15 year olds who can lift what I did at the start. No one laughs though.

Cheers ginny I've had a look at the stronglift 5x5 workouts - you ever done them? Seems like a good intro and i might give that a go just need to find a time when the gym isn't going to be packed so I can just do my own thing / not get laughed at.

If you haven't done any training previously you may want to start on machines rather than free weights. Build up some strength first. I'd go 3 sets of 8-12 reps on leg press/lat pulldown/pec deck/shoulder press in that order. Working largest muscles first, smallest last. 3 times a week for about 4-6 weeks. Eat and sleep are just as crucial.

Cheers ginny I've had a look at the stronglift 5x5 workouts - you ever done them? Seems like a good intro and i might give that a go just need to find a time when the gym isn't going to be packed so I can just do my own thing / not get laughed at.

Stronglifts 5x5 is the perfect place to start. Just keep your form strict and you really can't go wrong. Use the forums too, plenty of advice on there.

If the gym is easy to get to I would do more cardio than weights - 15 minutes bike, 15 minutes weights (3 sets of 8 of whatever you do) and 15 minutes cross trainer. 

If you could do that 4 times a week you would see results