You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vampire Weekend - Contra

Fugitive

I downloaded their first album for free, and loved it that much that I shelled out £20 to go and see them live last year.

Listened to the new album a few times, and despite it lacking the energy of it's predecessor, I really, really like it.

I downloaded their first album for free, and loved it that much that I shelled out £20 to go and see them live last year.

Listened to the new album a few times, and despite it lacking the energy of it's predecessor, I really, really like it.

Ditto. I wouldn't have gone had I not got the free album. I'll buy this album too without the desire to download for free. The bands get more money from touring than they do for music too.

Did the same with Just Jack. Downloaded the album on hearing 'The Day I died' and loved it. Bought 4 tickets to his gig in Brighton and took 3 mates who have all bought the album since.

The industry has changed, that's all. Income streams are different.

Ditto. I wouldn't have gone had I not got the free album. I'll buy this album too without the desire to download for free. The bands get more money from touring than they do for music too.

The industry has changed, that's all. Income streams are different.

You'd be surprised how little they get from touring. I'm not talking about U2 here. Anyway, my beef has never been with people that buy music like you, it's the one's who can't see a problem with stealing from the net (artist) and not buying it. I'd estimate 95% of people that have downloaded this album before it's been released will not then go and buy the CD or download again legally as they have it already and it's no longer new. And there lies the problem.

Did the same with Just Jack. Downloaded the album on hearing 'The Day I died' and loved it. Bought 4 tickets to his gig in Brighton and took 3 mates who have all bought the album since.

We let Just Jack into Brighton?

I bet Vampire Weekend would be very happy if Lucky Pierre downloads the album for free, then decides he loves them and goes to see them live and buys a t-shirt and a bumper sticker.

Either that or just not give them any money at all because he's clearly not going to buy the album right now. The music is now seen as advertising for the tour/merchandise. And publishing brings a great deal of cash too.

Free music.

Went to see them at the Leeds festival this year (well, last year). I'm sure they got a fair whack for that. I'd go and see them if they did a tour over here too. Happy all round!

Just been speaking to my best mate who works for a label.

He said along the lines of this . . . .

"Bands do lose out on illegal downloading obviously but it's the people that fund the bands and develop them that lose out the most.

No one would have heard of Vampire weekend if Beggars hadnt spent over 200K (probably at least double that) recording marketing and tour supporting them.

All illegal downloads do is reduce that funding at the label so what will happen in the long run is no one will have the money to develop new talent so we will be force fed a diet of very poor catalogue releases repackaged with a extra track and a tacky badge as a young stephen Vincent Morrissey once informed us

So in five years time we would not have bands like LCD Blur Spiritulised Delphic MGMT etc

And as for people like Fanfarlo and wave machines they will stand no chance as no one will take chance on them

We might get another white lies or coldplay if we are lucky only things that will be instant success will have money spent on them

What people don't understand is that all the press and radio you get on any band comes from paying people £2K a month to go and plug the radio and press people. They don't get this by being sent a link and the dj liking it - those days are long gone.

Delphic are a good example, island have spent half a million quid so far. "

• 2 weeks later...

"Bands do lose out on illegal downloading obviously but it's the people that fund the bands and develop them that lose out the most.

No one would have heard of Vampire weekend if Beggars hadnt spent over 200K (probably at least double that) recording marketing and tour supporting them.

All illegal downloads do is reduce that funding at the label so what will happen in the long run is no one will have the money to develop new talent so we will be force fed a diet of very poor catalogue releases repackaged with a extra track and a tacky badge as a young stephen Vincent Morrissey once informed us

So in five years time we would not have bands like LCD Blur Spiritulised Delphic MGMT etc

And as for people like Fanfarlo and wave machines they will stand no chance as no one will take chance on them

We might get another white lies or coldplay if we are lucky only things that will be instant success will have money spent on them

What people don't understand is that all the press and radio you get on any band comes from paying people £2K a month to go and plug the radio and press people. They don't get this by being sent a link and the dj liking it - those days are long gone.

Who the fuck is Stephen Vincent Morrissey?

But even if that happens then you can still go out and watch new bands. The bands playing in the place I was in last night were ace. None of them had 200k backing them.

Interesting to get that sort of insight. I'd come back with the fact that Island and most other 'indie' labels are now backed by majors so it's not like they're taking a risk on a group like they did in the good old days. Beggars are a rare breed of independent label that made it big and now encompass other labels due to their success. Fair play.

It'll go full circle. Eventually a label (hopefully independent) will hit on the idea that will make money for bands and labels alike. It won't involve selling music though. That idea is a thing of the past. You just can't make people buy it when they can get it for free. Although saying that iTunes are doing the industry a big favour, even if the share of 79p for a track isn't that great. It's better than nothing, and that's exactly what they'd be getting otherwise. And they're selling quite a few.

I'd estimate 95% of people that have downloaded this album before it's been released will not then go and buy the CD or download again legally as they have it already and it's no longer new. And there lies the problem.

We let Just Jack into Brighton?

True, but how many of those who downloaded if for free would have paid £9 for a cd?

And yeah.... Just Jack was quality. The recent album is triffic. Download it and see what you think. Or buy it. Up to you.

The self-titled was so so so good when it came out, I listened to a few tracks first of all when Mansard Roof was released - loved them - listened to a couple more (One, Walcott) - loved them just as much - and when it came to actually buying the album there were still some amazing tracks that I'd never heard, such as Walcott and I Stand Corrected.

Contra is a great album, I love the lyrics especially.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Thanks to the inbetweeners, i have discovered this band.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XC2mqcMMGQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XC2mqcMMGQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]