You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I went fishing once, when I was about 14 with a mate of mine from school and his dad. I'd never been fishing before so when I got my first bite I was made up, i pulled an eel out of the water and my mates dad took control and took it off the line. He grabbed it by the tail and twatted it 3 times against the edge of the canal killing it and then threw it into the bushes. He looked at us and said "Never give an eel a chance" and then carried on fishing.

Just chucked it away? Madness, lovely fish to eat.

My son caught a 8 lb pickerel (walleye) in Saskatchewan fortnight ago.

I enjoy fishing but but where I am it is mostly ice fishing and I find that a bit boring and being out in the savage cold is not as fun as being on a boat in the ealry morning or just before dusk.

My PBs:

Northern Pike 9.5 lbs (Indian River, Ont.)

Walleye 5 lbs (Lower Park Lake, Ont)

Large Mouth bass 4.5 lbs (Clayton Lake, Ont)

Lake Trout 3.5 lbs (Baker Lake, NU)

Blue Shark Fishing off the West Cork /Kerry coast is the dogs gonads ,some fight in those things ...we also go Conger Fishing off wrecks in the same area.Beach fishing for Mackerel,Pollack and Plaice in Ballycotton Bay or just off the harbour is also superb...only place in the world I've ever thrown a 6 feather line into the water and pulled out 6 mackeral on each one

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I ended up knocking around West Kirkby with my bird before I went to town to watch the m***h with my mates. Walked along that path around the marina just for shits and giggles really. Loads of people were crab fishing in the rock pools. I thought "Right I'll have a go at this" and with the ultimate manly attitude found a stick and went to the nearest rockpool.

First attempt, no prior training, with a stick and my bare hands I caught this whopper of a crab. In your face Trawler men!

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

8916_577173914532_284103429_5108700_8351390_n.jpg

Paulie has crabs!

It is a danger of hanging round in West Kirkby

Impressive shit that Paulie. How long did it take to land that?

Well I first put my stick in the murky depths of the rockpool, it took only a few seconds to disturb the monster. As it leapt towards the safety of under a stone I grabbed it by its hind portion being naturally weary of its giant deadly pincers. Initially dropping it because it was soft (ewww) but then the second grab was incisive. The glee in my face is genuine after such an epic struggle.

• 2 years later...
I went fishing once, when I was about 14 with a mate of mine from school and his dad. I'd never been fishing before so when I got my first bite I was made up, i pulled an eel out of the water and my mates dad took control and took it off the line. He grabbed it by the tail and twatted it 3 times against the edge of the canal killing it and then threw it into the bushes. He looked at us and said "Never give an eel a chance" and then carried on fishing.

If anyone can ease my nightmares by telling me why he did that it would be a great help

[/b]

I still want to know to silence the eels in my dreams

I need to know why he would do such a thing, almost 3 years later does anyone have a clue?

Guest San Don

Kinell, think I'll chuck myself into some of these lakes and wait for some of that paprika flavoured lunchon meat to drop in front of my nose. Them fish eat fucking better than me ffs!

I started fishing last month, been a few times now. A couple of times to Lloyds Meadow and then last week at Partridge Lakes in Warrington, loved that place despite how cold it was, I actually thought I may die but it was worth it to make my biggest catch so far.

large.jpg

Started my gear off with a Drennan Red Range rod and a Shimano Catana reel. Can't wait to go again.

Still don't know why to not give an eel a chance

When I was a kid my dad was into fishing for a while and he used to take me with him all over the place for a while and the only thing I caught were eels and I wasnt very popular for it.

I never caught anything else ever after that and got pissed off with it and have never been interested in it again.

They stunk worse than fish too.

I started fishing last month, been a few times now. A couple of times to Lloyds Meadow and then last week at Partridge Lakes in Warrington, loved that place despite how cold it was, I actually thought I may die but it was worth it to make my biggest catch so far.

large.jpg

Started my gear off with a Drennan Red Range rod and a Shimano Catana reel. Can't wait to go again.

Partridge is a great little fishery. Ribbon is great if you can get on it. They hold a lot of matches on it so you need to phone ahead to see what days it's available but you can get some big weights from it.

My two favourite fisheries are Makins and Oxford linear.

Makins is a brilliant all rounder with something for everyone ranging from carp to mid-30's right down to someone who wants to spend a day bagging up on silvers. It has about 20 lakes in total and I've never had a bad day there. It's in Warwickshire, so is a bit of a track from Liverpool but well worth it.

Oxford Linear is surprisingly in Oxford but is a cracker. If you're after specimens, this is the place to go. Carp to 48lb, Tench to 13lb, Bream to 16lb, Catfish to 80lb, Chub to 8lb, Perch to 5lb, Pike to 30lb and big Roach & Rudd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
Just now, Paulie Dangerously said:

Right, been watching Gone Fishing and fancy trying my hand at a bit of coarse fishing. What do I need to do? Treat this as a Simon thread

Coarse fishing? Well first you need to fucking take your fucking rod, and fuck off to find a cunting bastard river and catch some shitty cocknose fish. Mother fucker.

Coarse enough?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Right, been watching Gone Fishing and fancy trying my hand at a bit of coarse fishing. What do I need to do? Treat this as a Simon thread

Depends what you fancy catching, 

If it's carp, then fuck me you're about to be sucked into a vacuum of spending you never deemed possible. The amount of gear, bait, tackle bits, clothing you'll end up buying is outrageous. 

A cheap alternative is predator fishing, so pike, zander, perch. Same waters, but much less tackle. Just a small spinning rod, standard reel, a few lures, net and cast away. 

In fairness, matt Hayes has loads of videos online, the guy is a seriously excellent angler and really good at explaining things to the numpties. Give that a watch and make your decision. 

• Upvote 1