You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

Stouffer

I love.....laphroaig.jpg

Me too. A delicate whisky with an elegant hint of TCP providing a surprise twist to an otherwise smooth finish.*

My real weakness is the port finish Glenmorangie though. I've also got a bottle of the 25 year old stuff stashed away for occasional treats.

* I really do like it thought, quality stuff.

• 2 years later...

A man has killed himself by leaping into a vat of whisky at the Glenfiddich Distillery.

Brian Ettles, 46, drowned after he threw himself inside the 50,000-litre tank.

Paramedics and firefighters were called to the scene but the father-of-two died inside the wooden vat on Saturday.

It is believed the incident in Dufftown, Banffshire, took place the day after Mr Ettles’ wife Irene had celebrated her 54th birthday.

Family members were last night too distraught to speak about the tragedy as the distillery was closed for the second day running in tribute to Mr Ettles, who lived in nearby Keith.

Neighbour Eileen Mackenzie, 67, said: ‘I am just really shocked.

‘It’s such a horrible way for someone to go and most people I have spoken to are really quite upset about it.

‘He was just a young man and I have no idea what might have made him want to take his own life in such a way.’

As well as his wife, Mr Ettles also leaves daughter Julie, 25, and 21-year-old son Stuart.

He had a senior role at the distillery, where he had worked for 23 years.

The alarm was raised at around 10.40pm on Saturday, at which point it was hoped a rescue operation could still be launched to save Mr Ettles.

But he died inside the tank, known as a washback, which is used in the early stages of the distilling process.

A Glenfiddich spokesman said: ‘We decided to close as a mark of respect for the person who died. Our thoughts go out to his family.’

A waitress at The Commercial Hotel in Dufftown said Mr Ettles had been in the bar over the festive period.

She added: ‘Brian had been in a few times for food and a pint after he finished work.

‘Nobody here really knew him that well because he lived in Keith, but he seemed like a nice enough man. We are all really shaken up that he has died.’

A spokesman for Grampian Police said: ‘There are no suspicious circumstances.’

Glenfiddich is the world’s best-selling single malt whisky.

The distillery was opened in 1886 by William Grant and is still run by his descendants.

Brian Ettles drowns himself in a vat of whisky at Glenfiddich Distillery | Mail Online

What a way to go.

I got 2 bottles for xmas and still got a half bottle to finish. I got Jura and Highland Park as I prefer the unpeated varieties. I think HP actually counts as peated but is very subtle on that front. I find the likes of Talisker to be all smoke and not a lot else so not a big fan really.

I got 2 bottles for xmas and still got a half bottle to finish. I got Jura and Highland Park as I prefer the unpeated varieties. I think HP actually counts as peated but is very subtle on that front. I find the likes of Talisker to be all smoke and not a lot else so not a big fan really.

Talisker and Laphroig are like Benilyn.

Zeb knows.

Got a bottle of Jura myself, got a bottle of JD (which is poor substitute by a long way) which has well gone, but the Jura is my sipping whisky. Like honey.

Got a bottle of Jura myself, got a bottle of JD (which is poor substitute by a long way) which has well gone, but the Jura is my sipping whisky. Like honey.

Big fan of Jura myself...love sipping whilst eating a bit of liquorice.....makes for an interesting Toliet session the following morning though.

Big fan of Jura myself...love sipping whilst eating a bit of liquorice.....makes for an interesting Toliet session the following morning though.

Done my bottle in last night. Not a fan of liquorice. Tried to put some cinnamon sticks in it last night and a splash of ginger ale with a load of ice.