You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Free AV software

Fink

AVG for me - its still free

Tried avast recently, but the function where it scans websites as you are browsing really slowed stuff down. You can turn it off I think, but who can be arsed with that shit.

Re the avast - what you describe sounds like it has a conflict with another, possibly old background anti-virus software or some remnants thereof still resident on your harddrive - I use avast and it's like shit off a shovel. That said, nothing wrong with AVG.

Re the avast - what you describe sounds like it has a conflict with another, possibly old background anti-virus software or some remnants thereof still resident on your harddrive - I use avast and it's like shit off a shovel. That said, nothing wrong with AVG.

Nah, its not. Avast scans web pages as it downloads them (web shield). I googled it at the time and it was a fairly widespread complaint. If you google "avast bandwidth" you'll see what I mean.

Like I said, you can turn it off, but that would seem a bit self-defeating.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

using avast currently, havent really noticed it slowing the web down only by a couple of seconds which i can happily accept. Works a treat though. Was using zonealarm for the past 3 years which also done its job well.

I still use AVG, used the link someone posted a while back to get the full package, it's great.

On a related note, my ZoneAlarm threw a fit a few weeks back and wouldn't let me do a thing. After taking a few hours to uninstall the damn thing I was back using Windows Firewall, and still am.

Can't remember the error I was getting, just wondered if anyone else had come across problems with ZA? I'd been using it for years with no issues what so ever till that point.

Took note of the advice on here about Norton making your PC slower than a slow slow worm on go slow and removed it all and installed the free AVG. Amazed at the improvement in how quickly it boots up etc.

Is there anything else i should have aswell to deal with other things like Trojans or keyloggers or whatever - or should AVG be enough on its own (i keep widows updated and have the firewall on etc).