You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So does this season still count as a "title challenge"?

Royal Family

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is fading but a win at OT and a slip up here and there from united will get us back into it again. A challenge is having a chance in May imo and that still may happen.

We just need to buck up our ideas and fast

I'd echo this I think.

We all know 99.999999% that we are not going to win the league but the extent to which we have challenged will not become evident until May, or until it's mathematically impossible which of course could be considerably sooner.

I feel I have to add though that if at the start of the season we'd know that we'd be without Torres for most of it (so far) and Gerrard for a large chunk plus the court case hanging over his head, I think our expectations may have been dampened somewhat.

Definitely no. The fact is that there was so many games we drew that we could have won if rafa had the bottle to go for it rather than playing it safe and settling for a draw. Ive had doubts since the arsenal game as i felt that we really could have won that if we took a chance and was confirmed after the man city game. We're too negative and don't commit enough players when going forward in attack. Has been our problem for 5 years and doesn't look like changing. This is good in europe when you have a two legged game, but in the league its costs you after awhile and it has us.

No this wasnt a title challenge. We havent really played well all season, and i mean we havent yet hit a bit of form. When we were top of the league we were playing poorly and scraping a lot of wins. Chelsea, Arsenal and the Mancs were all droppin points when we were so we were fotunate. I dont think we have been any better than we were last year.

We are further behind now than we have ever been. The squad is paper thin and its now obvious that we were in a false position in the early part of the season.

My expectations were not even that high...i just wanted to be closer to man utd but as has been said were 10 points behind and that gap will only get bigger now.

No.

Exactly the same as Arse last year who collapsed at a similar time & in a similar manner (mainly thru draws) which was also not a proper title challenge.

Only the Mancs or the Chavs have realistically challenged for the title in the last 5 seasons which is entirely predictable given their resources advantages.

But we haven't lost the league against the mancs or chelsea. We've lost it against Fulham, West Ham, Hull, Wigan, Boro etc. They've only got a fraction of our resources.

We've got a manger who thinks that if you're playing a team in the relegation zone and you're without you best forwad and your other quality attackers is half fit you can still rest your in form attacker and expect to win.

With Chelsea in transition and the mancs slow start we had as even a playing field as we'll get and he still go nowhere near challenging. It's not money that made him lay Lucas instead of Alonso when Gerrard was out or sell our 2nd top scorer and not bring in a replacement or any of the many other things Benitez has done to ruin our title push. I know what i've seen this season and 90% of the reason we were out of it in Feb is down to the manager. I'm more certain of that now than i've ever been.

our aim should be to make sure we're in that top 3

worst case scenario is finishing 4th and Arsenal winning the CL which would get them in next year at our expense. even finishing 4th would give us a tricky early season tie against a tough opponent so we really need to avoid that.

our aim should be to make sure we're in that top 3

worst case scenario is finishing 4th and Arsenal winning the CL which would get them in next year at our expense. even finishing 4th would give us a tricky early season tie against a tough opponent so we really need to avoid that.

I want to finish 5th so you can't cling to your CL comfort blanket.

then we lose all our best players but nevermind, we can just play the kids and storm the league under a new buccaneering manager

Yeah, good eh. A few years in the Championship would sort out the men from the boys. What would you do for your real life FM fix then?

then we lose all our best players but nevermind, we can just play the kids and storm the league under a new buccaneering manager

Kaka, Seedorf, Maldini, Pato, Maldini, Inzhagi all left AC Milan didn't they?

Not saying we should finish 5th - but it is silly to suggest ALL our best players will leave if we do finish 5th.

Kaka, Seedorf, Maldini, Pato, Maldini, Inzhagi all left AC Milan didn't they?

Not saying we should finish 5th - but it is silly to suggest ALL our best players will leave if we do finish 5th.

AC milan are a well run club with a wealthy owner, i dont think Liverpool are in the same kind of position

No, not anymore.

A couple of months ago yes, not now. I just dont see our league form being anything close to winning all of our last games. It will be the same old story from us, too little to late.

It was over a few games ago, not yesterday.

No.

Exactly the same as Arse last year who collapsed at a similar time & in a similar manner (mainly thru draws) which was also not a proper title challenge.

Only the Mancs or the Chavs have realistically challenged for the title in the last 5 seasons which is entirely predictable given their resources advantages.

Agreed.

But we haven't lost the league against the mancs or chelsea. We've lost it against Fulham, West Ham, Hull, Wigan, Boro etc. They've only got a fraction of our resources.

We've got a manger who thinks that if you're playing a team in the relegation zone and you're without you best forwad and your other quality attackers is half fit you can still rest your in form attacker and expect to win.

With Chelsea in transition and the mancs slow start we had as even a playing field as we'll get and he still go nowhere near challenging. It's not money that made him lay Lucas instead of Alonso when Gerrard was out or sell our 2nd top scorer and not bring in a replacement or any of the many other things Benitez has done to ruin our title push. I know what i've seen this season and 90% of the reason we were out of it in Feb is down to the manager. I'm more certain of that now than i've ever been.

Absolutely 100% with massive strawberry's on top correct.

Bang on.