You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you think we should try and sign Joe Cole from Chelsea?  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should try and sign Joe Cole from Chelsea?

• Yes
    • No

Joe Cole yes a wonderful player whom when I first saw us linked I jumped at the concept even at 100k a week he would have been a blinding signing la.

Then others possibly wiser than myself - possibly more pessimistic - provided a very strong argument against. Thank you Royal Family (I have not read through the whole thread).

This leaves me undecided but I do have an idea I want to throw out there; a flawed now considering my sitting on the fence with regards to throwing my hat into the buy Joe Cole ring.

Joe Cole on our left and Shaun Wright Phillips on our right. Both can score, both can create, both are English and are experienced Premiership players not to mention internationals. Both will command high wages and deservedly so.

I realise Jovanovic is on his way, whilst Reira, Kuyt and Maxi are already here. I seem to have forgotten Benayoun who provides the creativity and goal threat that we require so much. With these players you could claim we do not require either of these players but this does not change the fact that they could possibly have a very positive influence on the team.

Of course what we really need is either more dynamism from midfield to get us playing higher up the field or another deep lying playmaker that can find the right ball to turn defence into time on the ball from which a real attack can be built further up the field. Over and over again. A man that can switch the play from side to side with a touch, a lift of the head followed by a pinpoint accurate pass whilst under immense pressure and even on the turn.

Still as man has already said he would love to see a side like this (completely different): Reina; Insua, Agger, Kjaer, Johnson; Mascherano, Gerrard; Cole, Aquilani, Wright Phillips; Torres.

Last thought Cole would provide great guidance for Pacheco.

There you have it a more balanced team from front to back that could provide what we want more than anything.

Edited by Boomshakalaka
Tidying up my effort and righting wrongs and omissions.

• 2 months later...

Liverpool FC still in hunt for Chelsea's Joe Cole despite Spurs hint > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Liverpool's chances of landing Joe Cole were dealt a potential blow after Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp hinted that a deal for the player may have already been agreed.

Earlier today the attacking midfielder was named in England's 23-man squad that will fly to South Africa tomorrow but question marks remain over his future beyond the summer, with talks over a new Chelsea deal yet to prove conclusive.

A host of the top six Premier League clubs are courting the signature of Cole but Redknapp, who oversaw his development during his time at West Ham United, has hinted that the out-of-contract 28-year-old may have sealed his exit from Stamford Bridge prior to the World Cup.

He said: "It looks to me someone's going to make a great free transfer, if he doesn't stay at Chelsea. I genuinely don't know who that is. I don't think it's going to be Tottenham.

"I've got a feeling, I may be wrong, that he's already agreed a deal with someone, and it's not Tottenham.

"I'm not saying if he hadn't agreed a deal with someone and he was available and didn't stay at Chelsea that we wouldn't be interested.

"I'm a big fan of Joe's, but the feedback we've had is that he might well have already done something.

Liverpool FC still in hunt for Chelsea's Joe Cole despite Spurs hint > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Liverpool's chances of landing Joe Cole were dealt a potential blow after Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp hinted that a deal for the player may have already been agreed.

Earlier today the attacking midfielder was named in England's 23-man squad that will fly to South Africa tomorrow but question marks remain over his future beyond the summer, with talks over a new Chelsea deal yet to prove conclusive.

A host of the top six Premier League clubs are courting the signature of Cole but Redknapp, who oversaw his development during his time at West Ham United, has hinted that the out-of-contract 28-year-old may have sealed his exit from Stamford Bridge prior to the World Cup.

He said: "It looks to me someone's going to make a great free transfer, if he doesn't stay at Chelsea. I genuinely don't know who that is. I don't think it's going to be Tottenham.

"I've got a feeling, I may be wrong, that he's already agreed a deal with someone, and it's not Tottenham.

"I'm not saying if he hadn't agreed a deal with someone and he was available and didn't stay at Chelsea that we wouldn't be interested.

"I'm a big fan of Joe's, but the feedback we've had is that he might well have already done something.

I thought it was common knowledge that he's going to United.

Looks to me of another example where Redknapp is using the media to see whether the player wants to come to his club.

Usually he taps players up by going on Sky Sports, saying how much he rates a player - and then finishes the interview saying how he can't talk about other clubs players.

This time he is saying that he rates Cole but thinks he has signed for another club.

I would [Keegan]'LOVE IT'[/Keegan] if we beat them to his signature.

Edited by LFD

Looks to me of another example where Redknapp is using the media to see whether the player wants to come to his club.

Usually he taps players up by going on Sky Sports, saying how much he rates a player - and then finishes the interview saying how he can't talk about other clubs players.

This time he is saying that he rates Cole but thinks he has signed for another club.

I would [Keegan]'LOVE IT'[/Keegan] if we beat them to his signature.

I am surprised people (The media/managers) dont pick up on this more often, the amount of tapping Redknapp does through Sky Sports is stupid. Keane, Palacios and the attempt of Bellamy spring to mind. Although they are only two in a long line. As you say he talks about them and says how good they are and how he would like to sign them but then goes onto say how he cant talk about other peoples players or how they havent got the funds to do this.

I know other managers (including Rafa) have talked about players - Barry, notably, but not to the same extent as old 'arry!! Something should be done to stop this happening as often as it does!!

Unless we were the secret club he has signed for.

Hilarious article.

Guest Pistonbroke

If the lad has a few decent performances for England at the World cup then their will be a scramble for his signature. Now that he is in the squad i doubt very much that his agent and himself will make any sort of move until it's over.

• 1 month later...

That'll be why pages on this site are taking several minutes to load, then.

In two minds about this. We all know what a good player he is, but he's only spent 33% of the last two seasons on the pitch. And apart from his debut season at West Ham, he's only managed to play more than 62% of the time on one occasion.

Heck of a gamble at £90,000 a week, hopefully he won't turn out to be another Kewell.