You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Lennon..... The greatest

Kop4Ever2008

Ok for the non believers, name me a band that has written the amount of quality songs as they did, no one could keep up with the amount of material they produced!

Don't get me wrong i absolutely love Dylan, Bolan, Bowie, Sam Cooke, they are all up there but in terms of influence, songwriting no contest

It seems these days it's "cool" to hate the Beatles.....

Yeah he had his flaws but that's why so many were drawn to him

Is this about Lennon or The Beatles? Sure he had his flaws, but doesnt eveyone? He is an amazing songwriter and musician. I couldnt give a fuck what he was like with his bird or what he done to his son.

He was an immensly creative person who achieved more in his teens and early 20's than most people will in there whole life. Certain songs and sounds that he introduced on later Beatles albums set a benchmark for musicians then and still today. Many credit George Martin for these studio sound leaps. Lennon came with the ideas but Martin just knew how to get the sound because of his technical background.

I am not going to say he was the greatest because thats a big shout, but he was fucking amazing... and also........... fuckin SCOUSER laaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Is this about Lennon or The Beatles? Sure he had his flaws, but doesnt eveyone? He is an amazing songwriter and musician. I couldnt give a fuck what he was like with his bird or what he done to his son.

He was an immensly creative person who achieved more in his teens and early 20's than most people will in there whole life. Certain songs and sounds that he introduced on later Beatles albums set a benchmark for musicians then and still today. Many credit George Martin for these studio sound leaps. Lennon came with the ideas but Martin just knew how to get the sound because of his technical background.

I am not going to say he was the greatest because thats a big shout, but he was fucking amazing... and also........... fuckin SCOUSER laaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great Post!!

They had one in Pete Best but they sacked him because he used to get all the attention after gigs due to him being better looking than the others.

They then got Ringo 'Thomas the Tank Engine' Starr.

You hear that all the time, but have you ever seen him? He was a fucking munter, and I reckon it was just a rumour he put round at the time he was sacked.

Incidently, my ex mother in law is Pete Best's cousin. She knew all the Beatles quite well (except Ringo, of course) and says John Lennon was a twat.

Ok for the non believers, name me a band that has written the amount of quality songs as they did, no one could keep up with the amount of material they produced!

Don't get me wrong i absolutely love Dylan, Bolan, Bowie, Sam Cooke, they are all up there but in terms of influence, songwriting no contest

It seems these days it's "cool" to hate the Beatles.....

Yeah he had his flaws but that's why so many were drawn to him

Depends what your definition of 'quality' is. The Stones, U2, Genesis or infact any group with a large back catalogue could be described as quality by their fans. The Beatles produced some shoking music too..Yellow Submarines, anyone!

The reason I am not a fan is that although I admire some of their tunes I prefer other groups and don't want to be told because they were succesful, they were any good. In my opinion they were average, sometimes.

And also a BS, as was McCartney.*

BS stands for Boiled Sweet as I know theres no *F on the GF.

The beatles where overrated , too many boring love songs, they did come up with some classics but I prefer bands like the doors and the stones myself. Lennon was the most talented of the lot you only have to look at their careers after they spilt to see that. Lennon was a cool character and it would be interesting to see what he would have had to say about shitty shows like the X factor and other opinions in general if he was alive today.

Depends what your definition of 'quality' is. The Stones, U2, Genesis or infact any group with a large back catalogue could be described as quality by their fans. The Beatles produced some shoking music too..Yellow Submarines, anyone!

The reason I am not a fan is that although I admire some of their tunes I prefer other groups and don't want to be told because they were succesful, they were any good. In my opinion they were average, sometimes.

You've owned a Vauxhall Vectra, you like pies, you've worn a denim shirt, you appreciate real ale, you've considered suicide, you want to fuck your boss, it's sometimes hard to sleep, your Father did/does intimidate you, you wish you had a gun, your niece is scared of you.

Genesis, didn't see them but they can fuck off. Grohl then Lennon.

*spits out coffee*

Your joking, right?? Grohl is a fantastic drummer and a decent tunesmith but he is no way better than the man who penned "Strawberry fields Forever" "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "A Day in the Life". Off the field, Lennon is over-rated but nobody can deny his genius as a songwriter in the Beatles.

For the uninitiated...

[YOUTUBE]8CMdqWh_J8I[/YOUTUBE]

See?

You've owned a Vauxhall Vectra, you like pies, you've worn a denim shirt, you appreciate real ale, you've considered suicide, you want to fuck your boss, it's sometimes hard to sleep, your Father did/does intimidate you, you wish you had a gun, your niece is scared of you.

Some correct, some incorrect.

Lennon still shit. And dead.

Lennon lost the will to make music. After the Beatles, his albums followed the law of diminishing returns. His best post-Beatles album was the one he made straight after the break up. That is raw, cathartic, soulful, visceral music. Uneasy listening, though conversely there are some of the most beautiful, simple, pop songs ever on there.

Mccartney has no soul, in fact the nearest any of them came close to recording some soul was with Harrison directing.

More ignorance. The Beatles soaked up soul like a sponge in the early 60's listening to and covering the stuff that came over from the US. Listen to "You Really Got A Hold On Me", or any of their Little Richard covers, (usually sung by McCartney), or any of their own stuff, like the McCartney-penned "Got To Get You Into My Life". McCartney loved soul, anyone who understands music would be able to pick up his soul inflections in his singing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...