You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dublim pubs

Lurtz

Ah the greath North side South side debate.;)

Mr Lutz if you are staying in the city centre stay away from the big fancy super pubs you get what you see in them places.Get a taxi to Whelans on wexford st there are plenty of traditional bars along there and Whelans is great for music.you will pay 4.50-500 euro a pint anywhere in dublin but they put a euro on every half hour after 11.30 in temple bar.

Was it not the total opposite of the Southside/Northside debate?

Saying Malahide(North) was full of stuck up posh cunts and that Tallaght(South) is full of scum?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of great pubs still around the city.

I'd swerve Temple Bar and Q Bar completely and check out Mulligan's on Poolbeg St, Long Hall on George's St, Palace Bar just off Westmoreland St.

McDaids, Neary's and Kehoes - all off Grafton St - are also good but tend to get uncomfortably mobbed at weekends.

L' Gueuleton on Fade Street does great food but doesn't take reservations, drop in early in the evening and book your table.

The best advice on this thread by far.

I've booked into the Isaacs hotel on O'Connell Street. Looks decent and is opposite where the airport shuttle drops off.

Best deals going at the mo: D4 Hotels - Ballsbridge Hotels - Dublin City Hotel - Hotels Near RDS Dublin

Much nicer than Isaacs or anywhere else near O'Connell Street (which frankly, is a shit hole)...

Best deals going at the mo: D4 Hotels - Ballsbridge Hotels - Dublin City Hotel - Hotels Near RDS Dublin

Much nicer than Isaacs or anywhere else near O'Connell Street (which frankly, is a shit hole)...

:|

Oh.

Well, all positive info up until that. To be honest we just want somewhere decent. We're only there one night and not arriving until lunchtime. We'll be out all afto and just use it to get changed in for the night out and to sleep. If I go for longer than one night I'll look harder for hotels but this will do us nicely. The area is close enough to some decent bars I reckon, too.

Chris Bonnie - May give that restaurant a miss. We're going for the guinness and the Irish Stew rather than the continental style menu. Looks good though and next time I go over for longer than a night I'll give it a look.

Mate South Dublin is all good. There is some real nice places just outside Dublin, about 10mins from Tallaght. An area called Blessington in Co. Wicklow.

Some cracking pubs and restuarants out my way, right beside the lake so provides good views while you dig into you grub and pint.

Tallaght Village you'll find some grand pubs indeed. Something for everyone within 2min walk.

If your looking for a club, I work behind the bar at TramCo in Rathmines which is about 10-15mins from Tallaght. Sound club where you find mainly students and many pint and other drink offers too.

All of the above is South of the Liffey River. So is a bit of a trek from the airport. But you can get a kinda public/private bus from the airport to Tallaght for 3Euros I think.

Hope that helps somewhat.

PS: Q Bar is a shithole, even the students in the college beside it(Trinity College) think that and is a rip off.

Great city bar is the Bleeding Horse Pub, basically in the middle of everything ie: pubs, food, hotels and transport.

:|

Oh.

Well, all positive info up until that. To be honest we just want somewhere decent. We're only there one night and not arriving until lunchtime. We'll be out all afto and just use it to get changed in for the night out and to sleep. If I go for longer than one night I'll look harder for hotels but this will do us nicely. The area is close enough to some decent bars I reckon, too.

Sorry, mate. I was in my ranty, late night, post-Sopranos mood. Of course, you'll have a great central location and I'm told the hotel is fine. Check out The Church pub / restaurant nearby, off Henry Street: it's pretty impressive. But otherwise, El Rojo's pub advice is very sound. As was The Bleeding Horse recommendation. If you're going there, check out Whelan's, which is the best music pub in Dublin. Oh, and Grogan's is a great pub, between Grafton Street and George's Street.

For traditional food, I've heard Gallagher's Boxty House in Temple Bar has touristy appeal! But otherwise I'd avoid that part of the centre, unless you want to catch a film in the Irish Film Institute or a kebab in Zaytoon.

Outside the centre, Dalkey has a few terrific pubs in a lovely part of the world, and is accessible by the DART train service (as is Malahide, less frequently). Finnegan's in Dalkey is one of my very favourite pubs...

I'm off to Dublin in January to celebrate Mrs Beans' 40th birthday. We'll be staying in The Gresham on O'Connell Street for a 3 day weekend. I considered The Clarence but thought it was a bit too pricey (I've taken a loan to afford this trip as it is) and maybe I was paying just to be associated with it's owners.

I'll definitely be taking the recommendation of the MV Cill Airne for the Saturday evening. Does anyone have any recommendations for a less formal eatery on the Friday and maybe somewhere for Sunday afternoon going in to the evening? If we venture out to Dalkey or Malahide without our own transport, will we be restricted by the times of the DART? Should we just stick to town?

I fancy the Guinness Storehouse as many, many years ago I went on a tour of the old Park Royal brewery - Happy days! Is it worth it or are there more interesting touristy things we should do?

Thanks guys.

I'm off to Dublin in January to celebrate Mrs Beans' 40th birthday. We'll be staying in The Gresham on O'Connell Street for a 3 day weekend. I considered The Clarence but thought it was a bit too pricey (I've taken a loan to afford this trip as it is) and maybe I was paying just to be associated with it's owners.

I'll definitely be taking the recommendation of the MV Cill Airne for the Saturday evening. Does anyone have any recommendations for a less formal eatery on the Friday and maybe somewhere for Sunday afternoon going in to the evening? If we venture out to Dalkey or Malahide without our own transport, will we be restricted by the times of the DART? Should we just stick to town?

I fancy the Guinness Storehouse as many, many years ago I went on a tour of the old Park Royal brewery - Happy days! Is it worth it or are there more interesting touristy things we should do?

Thanks guys.

DART times will restrict you a little, but not hugely. Last train back to town is usually around 11. A nice afternoon pint in Malahide or Dalkey followed by dinner and further boozing back in the centre sounds good to me. On the other hand, Dalkey itself has a few good places to eat; I'd imagine Malahide does too. Either The Queen's or The Club in Dalkey should offer a good, solid pub meal. Jaipur is a well-regarded Indian. But don't forget Finnegan's for a pint of Guinness. It was excellent last time I was there...

Thanks guys.

im letting the cat out of the bag with this one, but this recommendation is off a burger joint, thats quite possibly the coolest eatery in Ireland

its called Joburger, its in Rathmines, get a taxi from the city centre, only 5 minutes away, you`d walk it, but without knowing the directions, you`d get lost, its this new place, its got graffiti on the walls, a dj, all organic food, all organic drinks, the menus are given to you inside 80`s comics, the place is so cool, it makes Ice melt, trust me on this oen, this palce rocks, and the burgers are out of this world, quite simply, GIGANTIC, miss this, and you`ll miss out

drinks id recommend hogans on Georges street, then you can find any other decent pub within a 5 minute walk from there, trust me, Joburger is where you want a casual, but cool place to eat

I agree with Malahide being full of posh, stuck up cunts but Tallaght is just people looking for a laugh. Maybe its because I've lived here all me life and am used to the shams and the skangers but with most of them its nothing more then a front because they were brought up to trust nobody. The majority are sound and won't cause a spot of bother unless wound up to the point of doing so.

And stay away from the top of Georges St. unless you want a stretched arsehole to take home as a souveneir of your trip to Dublin.

Lurtzy dont mind him.The george is a very nice pub indeed.Full of lovely people.

It's my dads 76th birthday today, so my mother has taken him to the Square in Tallaght for the day. I really thought I came from better stock then that!

gotta love the working class

its finally getting a revamp inside, its 20 years old all the same, its hard to belive, i remember the opening of it, cues to get into the place, i bought a pair of goggles for swimming, yay me

Neither however remotely compare to a good night in the city centre as there's tons upon tons of pubs and clubs so if ones shite or just not to your liking, there's another one to try 20 yards away.

So explain to me how the fuck we ended up in a fucking gay bar. No offense intended to gays.

How's the back mate?

Cheers man, Its doing well, fingers crossed. I actually went back to work yesterday. Amazing what a surgeon can do these days. It's been less than two weeks since I had the operation. Start physical therapy next week which should be fun.

Apart from that it's fingers crossed that the year will end with no more medical drama :thumbsup:

Cheers man, Its doing well, fingers crossed. I actually went back to work yesterday. Amazing what a surgeon can do these days. It's been less than two weeks since I had the operation. Start physical therapy next week which should be fun.

Apart from that it's fingers crossed that the year will end with no more medical drama :thumbsup:

Good stuff! It must be an added buzz knowing that the company has got to pay your medical bills too!

"That'll be another $4,000, but what the fuck right? In fact I'll take another operation right here, right now, just because I can!"

im letting the cat out of the bag with this one, but this recommendation is off a burger joint, thats quite possibly the coolest eatery in Ireland

its called Joburger, its in Rathmines, get a taxi from the city centre, only 5 minutes away, you`d walk it, but without knowing the directions, you`d get lost, its this new place, its got graffiti on the walls, a dj, all organic food, all organic drinks, the menus are given to you inside 80`s comics, the place is so cool, it makes Ice melt, trust me on this oen, this palce rocks, and the burgers are out of this world, quite simply, GIGANTIC, miss this, and you`ll miss out

drinks id recommend hogans on Georges street, then you can find any other decent pub within a 5 minute walk from there, trust me, Joburger is where you want a casual, but cool place to eat

Thanks for that, Chris. I'd never heard of it, but I'll check it out next time I'm home...

So explain to me how the fuck we ended up in a fucking gay bar. No offense intended to gays.

You were a visitor to my country. You asked to be brought to the shiniest bar in Dublin. It turned out to be full of Ronaldos, so we went elsewhere. That was your fault

Didn't I take you to my local the next day where you got to meet sealions and my mate and Uncle???? There's no pleasing some people.