You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ressies Tonight

Allan

Maybe Spearing is one of those lads who will look better when he's amongst better players? He was class in pre-season, and did brilliantly in training as well from what I've been told. Ask Carra and Gerrard what they think of Spearing, they love him.

He's been a bit below his best this season, but I reckon it's because he's so disheartened with his situation. I think San Jose has suffered from the same thing, as both of those lads were class pretty much every game last season.

San Jose got done a few times last night, and at the moment Kelly is playing much better than him. San Jose really needs a loan spell somewhere to get his head up again, same with Spearing.

How the hell Bruna gets a game is anyone's guess. He's shite week in week out, and no way is he better than Amoo or Kacaniklic. And at the risk of repeating myself, Eccleston is better than any striker in that squad other than Nemeth, and possibly Pacheco although until we see Nathan get some games at reserve level we won't know.

Rafa was watching last night wasn't he and with the meeting between Ablett and Rafa the other day one hopes, hopes, that things are improving. Once Rafa see's the players, he will then perhaps give Ablett more autonomy to pick who he wants and in turn allow the likes of Ecclestone to be promoted and crucially to play.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa was watching last night wasn't he and with the meeting between Ablett and Rafa the other day one hopes, hopes, that things are improving. Once Rafa see's the players, he will then perhaps give Ablett more autonomy to pick who he wants and in turn allow the likes of Ecclestone to be promoted and crucially to play.

Rafa to give Ablett more autonomy? Dont make me laugh.

Maybe Spearing is one of those lads who will look better when he's amongst better players? He was class in pre-season, and did brilliantly in training as well from what I've been told. Ask Carra and Gerrard what they think of Spearing, they love him.

He's been a bit below his best this season, but I reckon it's because he's so disheartened with his situation. I think San Jose has suffered from the same thing, as both of those lads were class pretty much every game last season.

San Jose got done a few times last night, and at the moment Kelly is playing much better than him. San Jose really needs a loan spell somewhere to get his head up again, same with Spearing.

How the hell Bruna gets a game is anyone's guess. He's shite week in week out, and no way is he better than Amoo or Kacaniklic. And at the risk of repeating myself, Eccleston is better than any striker in that squad other than Nemeth, and possibly Pacheco although until we see Nathan get some games at reserve level we won't know.

That`s pretty much how I see it.

I thought Spearing would be flying after last season grat performances, and then playing with the first team in the summer. I thought that would provide him with the hunger to step up another level.

I did only watch Spearing against Vålerenga in the summer and against Lazio. Gerrard suffered a knock early on agaisnt Vålerenga and he came on. That evening he stank the place out. He was terrible. The norwegian commentators who`s never heard of him before started taking the piss out of him. Dont know if that match made Rafa unsure about him beeing ready. But one poor match should`nt be enough to write him off, as by all accounts he did well in other matches.

San Jose has often impressed me, but at the same time I often feel he has a mistake in him. What`s impressed me with Kelly is that he is very consistent. Like Darby I cant remember him having a bad match. He probably has, but he has been very steady.

The striking situation is a joke. Brouwer will never make it at any level. The header he missed last night was him in a nutshell. No power, no confidence, no direction, no belief. He may end up a journeyman in lower divisions in Holland, but that is the best he can hope for. I saw Pourie for 10 minutes against Sunderland last year. And in those 10 minutes he showed more presence about him that I have ever seen from Brouwer.

Bruna may end up a good little player. But never in England. He seems to be suited to the more continental systems, and has no body strenght what so ever. The only thing I`ve seen him do for the reserves is produce a neat set piece now and again. But with the reputation he came with he has been a huge disappointment, and with him in the side we look very unbalanced.

Like the look of Weijl so far, but im not sure he has enough pace about him to make the step up. But then again, Albert Riera has showed you dont need to be lightning quick to make a good winger.

And what makes the joke about the striker situation even worse is that we played a couple of reserve matches with no recognized strikers on the bench. And when we struggled for goals, and needed another option, we had only midfielders to choose from. Eccleston, Pourie, Amoo, Ellison etc should at least have been an option from the bench. When they say we have too many strikers at melwood, surely they all cant be soo rubbish that they dont make the bench.

Are Ablett hands so tied that he cant promote youth players to matches or was it his decision? Eccleston and Pourie did play reserve football last season, so there should be no reason why they should not be picked this season.

At the moment we have a few threads more or less running the same topic but its clear for anyone to see that having two acadamies is doing no-one any favours and the sooner we have just one and the reserves squad is trimmed to cater for this then the better it will be for all concerned at the club.

At the moment we have a few threads more or less running the same topic but its clear for anyone to see that having two acadamies is doing no-one any favours and the sooner we have just one and the reserves squad is trimmed to cater for this then the better it will be for all concerned at the club.

Will that ever happen though Coop?

If Rafa ever got the control he wanted we dont know what he'd want?

Something has to give though because this situation can not be allowed to go on.

Watching last nights game and we were crying out for pace in the team, especially upfront and there is kids like Eccleston and Amoo who are blessed with pace and would make a huge impact on the team.

If you were to merge the two academies and 'cherry pick' the best players i think you would have a very good reserve team with some exciting prospects coming through.

Another thing that needs addressing is the if we were to merge the two Acadamies im pretty sure even after sorting out the deadwood we would have enough players to have two reserve teams like Man City have got so all the kids get a game.

Hello all first post here I hope everyone is good.

Just wanted to say that I was really impressed with Duran again last night even though it was just 20 odd minute or so cameo.

Looks to have an eye for a pass and a bit of skill. Thought he was MOTM in the 2-2 against Everton.

What do you guys think of his chances at progressing to the first team, personally I feel Spearings got another player to worry about overtaking him.

Pacheco's balance and touch is really good, i think he could become a very good number 10 in the first team within a few years. Dalle Valle might have an advantage though with the height and weight it'll be interesting to see who turns out better but two really good attacking prospects.

Duran is 20 and hasn't played a lot of football but he's at the age where Rafa might consider him for the first team.

Good report.

One thing though. Regarding the 2 on 1 late on, I think Pacheco was forced playing it back to Simon. The pass to Pacheco was a bit too slow, so he had to wait for it. With a defender closing in, his shot would most likely been blocked, so he played Simon back in for a shot.

by the way Dave I think Rafa is taking a more active interest in the reserves because he's looking at who he can use as squad players in the first team because he's going to bin some I reckon. so extra incentive for them to impress because there might be slots open in the near future

by the way Dave I think Rafa is taking a more active interest in the reserves because he's looking at who he can use as squad players in the first team because he's going to bin some I reckon. so extra incentive for them to impress because there might be slots open in the near future

I would love this to be true. Some of them are ready for the big step up as back up anyway.

Good report.

One thing though. Regarding the 2 on 1 late on, I think Pacheco was forced playing it back to Simon. The pass to Pacheco was a bit too slow, so he had to wait for it. With a defender closing in, his shot would most likely been blocked, so he played Simon back in for a shot.

Yeah I thought the pass to him wasn't great, but Pacheco could have taken a touch to move onto his right side away from the defender, but he just controlled it where he was stood and then couldn't get his shot away.

I think they were both just far too casual with it, but that sometimes happens when you have too much time.

Nathan Eccleston would have buried it :whistle:

I don't think thats the case. I think he's assessing Ablett and isn't happy that they lost four on the bounce. If he was there just to watch and assess players, he didn't need to be sat on the bench (making poor Steve Irwin look really uncomfortable!), he could have done that from the stands.

I agree there should be a massive clearout in January, and I've heard whispers there might be, so he should be looking at people like Bruna and Brouwer and most of those who can't get in the team, and be looking at getting rid.

When he does though, he should not be replacing them, he should just let some of the 18s play some ressies games to see if they are up to it. It's fucking scandalous that Ablett has a squad of over 25 players.

Yeah I thought the pass to him wasn't great, but Pacheco could have taken a touch to move onto his right side away from the defender, but he just controlled it where he was stood and then couldn't get his shot away.

I think they were both just far too casual with it, but that sometimes happens when you have too much time.

Nathan Eccleston would have buried it :whistle:

The Eccleston of the 2nd half of last season wouldn't have :whistle:

BTW Are you his agent :)

I don't think thats the case. I think he's assessing Ablett and isn't happy that they lost four on the bounce. If he was there just to watch and assess players, he didn't need to be sat on the bench (making poor Steve Irwin look really uncomfortable!), he could have done that from the stands.

I agree there should be a massive clearout in January, and I've heard whispers there might be, so he should be looking at people like Bruna and Brouwer and most of those who can't get in the team, and be looking at getting rid.

When he does though, he should not be replacing them, he should just let some of the 18s play some ressies games to see if they are up to it. It's fucking scandalous that Ablett has a squad of over 25 players.

Ablett said afterwards that it was a boost for him to have Rafa there so I don't think he sees it that way. It was funny seeing Rafa there though you could see it was taking every bit of energy he had to stay quiet :)

I can't buy into that. Both Rafa and Ablett have gone on record to say that the results are not important and development is all that matters.