You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Gray on next season's Title Contenders

StevieH

This myth about us not having enough width to challenge needs to be debunked I reckon.

Ronaldo's an exceptional player but most of his best work was through the middle last year. Nani was underwhelming for the most part. Evra is an excellent attacking full back, Wes Brown isn't. Tevez and Rooney often played Dirk-esque roles for them out wide too, and Giggs will play less and less this season.

Chelsea came pretty close without much natural width last year. Ashley Cole is a shadow of the player he once was, Joe Cole needs to play in the centre and right back has been a consistent problem for them.

With Clichy, Walcott, van Persie etc Arsenal have the most quality and pace out wide, but they don't have the strength in the centre that ourselves and United/Chelsea do.

We've a better squad of players than we did last season, which in turn was an improvement on the season before.

We need to challenge this season and I can't see any reason why we shouldn't expect to.

I agree. i am a big fan of the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 formation. "The Javelin".

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa clearly said before the decision over Heinze that it was either him or nobody.

It wasn't that he didn't have a plan B, it's more the fact he didn't want anyone else.

I can't remember Rafa saying that but I will take your word for it.

However, I bet Rafa regretted not having a plan B. He could have bought a defender (eg., Skrtel) after Heinze's deal fell through. Rafa even had the money to buy another defender (the £7m that was allocated for Heinze). He chose not to, but realised he needed another CB (as early as October) once Agger got injured and this was one of the reasons for the off-the-pitch shite that went on last season (Rafa requesting money for new players, Hicks telling Rafa to coach the players he already has etc).

Agger's one of the best defenders in Europe and the best we have.

We didn't miss him? Even when Sami had a few shocking games early in the season? Or when Carra's form wasn't what it was at a time where we could have used Agger?

Of course we missed him you prat.

Agger is very good, but still young, has a lot to prove (e.g. in terms of consistency over a long period). He's not up there with the elite quite yet. Take of your red glasses.

We do not have a realistic chance (I would define realistic as better than 10%) of the title this year.

Neither however do Arse.They won it the 1st year after Roman arrived but since then have not been close to a challenge (Leading in Feb by exhausting your players & then winning 1 game in 8 is not a challenge)

Although all 4 1st teams are much the same the squad players of ourselves & Arse drop dramatically in quality due to the differing budgets. The chances of going thru a season without significant mental/physical tiredness &/or injury are less than 10%. This must be the basis for calculating any probability of either of us or Arse winning the League.

Realistically there are only 2 challengers, Chavs & Mancs: However Andy Gray works for Sky & has to hype up the Premiership. He therefore has to continue with the fiction that ourselves/Arse can challenge & consequently I am surprised at our omission.

Similarly expect comments like 'Villa/Spurs/City/Pompey' can break into top 4 when that is even less realistic (both their teams & squads are miles behind).

For me we missed Agger a lot last season and whilst Sami is a legend for the club was it a coincidence that our form picked up when Skrtel arrived allowing us to defend higher up the pitch.

Agger not only brings a bit of pace to the defence he also brings a superb passing ability as the goal against Derby for Babel when Agger sent Arbeloa through on the wing with a superb low field pass.

I personally think we have a superb team with possibly the right side been cause for a little concern but nothing major as both Arebloa and Kuyt are not exactly weak players but can be improved on.

The youngsters have shown we have strength in depth and even if Rafa does rotate at the start of the season he should be rotating quality for quality which will make a huge difference for us.

Jesus wept, i bet when Rash shags he uses thoughts of Barry's deficiencies to stop himself from coming before eventually screaming "RIIIICCARRRDDDOOO" at the point of climax.

yer his Mrs complains that he can only dribble and has no end Product and he offen goes missing in the second half

For me we missed Agger a lot last season and whilst Sami is a legend for the club was it a coincidence that our form picked up when Skrtel arrived allowing us to defend higher up the pitch.

Agger not only brings a bit of pace to the defence he also brings a superb passing ability as the goal against Derby for Babel when Agger sent Arbeloa through on the wing with a superb low field pass.

I personally think we have a superb team with possibly the right side been cause for a little concern but nothing major as both Arebloa and Kuyt are not exactly weak players but can be improved on.

The youngsters have shown we have strength in depth and even if Rafa does rotate at the start of the season he should be rotating quality for quality which will make a huge difference for us.

Agreed. The major weakness about last years squad was we did not have quality deapth to rotate quality players for quality. This year will be huge in regards to how Benitez will man manage his squad and who he rotates.

Agger was sorely missed last term and he has to prove that he is worth his starting place on the first team as he has now Skertal to contend with, so hopefully we will see a better improved Agger this year.