You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Taylor “no” to new deal

Newport

I'd love it if Rafa signed him. Great talent.

Tayls “no” to new deal

Sep 7 2007 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

STEVEN TAYLOR has turned down a new five-year contract with Newcastle United.

The Taylor camp tell me that the financial terms of the contract are “completely inadequate” and it is something which concerns the young defender, who will captain the England Under-21 side in their match in Montenegro tonight.

Taylor’s dad Alf, who is looking after his son’s affairs these days, told me today: “I only hope they are not trying to force Steven out.

“He loves Newcastle United and it is the only club he wants to play for, but he is most disappointed at what they are offering him.”

United have made a formal offer to Taylor of a new five-year contract with a three-year option, but this has been rejected by the player.

Obviously footballers talk among themselves, especially about how much each earn, and Taylor will be very much aware how much United have come up with for James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia, who had their contracts reviewed and signed new deals at St James’ Park in the past couple of weeks.

And the word from Bolton is that Abdoulaye Faye is picking up £30,000 a week after joining United last week.

Yet at the moment, Taylor’s basic wage in his current deal, which runs until June 2009, is less than a third of that.

This leaves Alf Taylor to add: “Fans seeing the likes of Albert Luque and Jean Alain Boumsong coming into the club with massive wages must think Steven is also on big bucks, but this is not the case.

“He is not playing for Newcastle for the money, but because he loves football and the club – but it is a short career and the financial aspect is still important.

“Fortunately, while he is disappointed, Steven has never – nor ever will – let it affect his performance on the field.

“He is a local lad who only wants to play for his local team.

“But perhaps this is why his contract offer is not in the same category as those players who are coming in from all over the place.

“Yet I do not see this being a problem at Liverpool with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.”

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's shit the only thing he is good at is the odd screamer, against Arsenal when they had a chance to get back in it every one of his crosses hit the first man and his shots were no where near.

Different Taylor, who plays in a differenmt position, for a different club.

In fact, the only thing you have got right is the "Taylor" bit.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I like the look of this lad, in a non-shirtlifter way and if I recall correctly, weren't we linked with him a couple of seasons ago?

He would be ideal for us...big, strong, good in the air, can tackle and not the slowest either.

Guest Eskimo-Boy
he's shit the only thing he is good at is the odd screamer, against Arsenal when they had a chance to get back in it every one of his crosses hit the first man and his shots were no where near.

holla

1/ Liverpool In link with Newcastle defender

2/ Newcastle defender refuses new contract

at this poit we have 3 possibles

A) Newcastle improve contract and he signs

B) Liverpool make bid and he joins Liverpool

C) Another club enters into sign him and he goes there

Take your pick

At this point dont mind any of them but i have to say i like the player