You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pennant in 'speaking sense' shocker

Bob

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N156816070828-0954.htm

at last he has realised the things he should be saying, rather than talking about fucknig england, he's talknig about how he will continue to work hard to stay in the team.

i've been impressed with his performances so far this season and i am growing to accept him a little more (still dont like him though) and a few more comments like these will move him in the right direction.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He's certainly improving and the right words coming out of his mouth are a good sign too. However, I still want to see a much more consistent end product from him. He's played well in our four matches so far, but little things like the missed easy cut-back to Torres against Chelsea and the sloppy concession of possession against Sunderland need eradicating. However, those are concentration issues really. I'm pleased to see his work rate and aggression improving.

I don't think Tennants done anything I didn't really expect him to do.

He started quite poorly, but everyone jumping all over him were being a bit premature, and he's now showing his true level.

He's a tidy, hard-working, quick-ish "proper winger" who gets lots of crosses in, doesn't have the blinding pace or huge number of tricks to beat his man that easily, is careful in possession, and doesn't score goals.

That's what he always was. What he always will be. There isn't any more to come. He's decent and playing well, but I'm afraid that a winger who plays 40 games a season and will only ever score a single goal is a problem.

I don't care how many crosses he slings over, he needs to score at least 5 goals a season. And he won't.

I don't think Tennants done anything I didn't really expect him to do.

He started quite poorly, but everyone jumping all over him were being a bit premature, and he's now showing his true level.

He's a tidy, hard-working, quick-ish "proper winger" who gets lots of crosses in, doesn't have the blinding pace or huge number of tricks to beat his man that easily, is careful in possession, and doesn't score goals.

That's what he always was. What he always will be. There isn't any more to come. He's decent and playing well, but I'm afraid that a winger who plays 40 games a season and will only ever score a single goal is a problem.

I don't care how many crosses he slings over, he needs to score at least 5 goals a season. And he won't.

Why does he need to score 5 goals?

Why does he need to score 5 goals?

Because otherwise I think there's an intolerable pressure on the other midfielders to score. And apart from Gerrard, we don't have one who can.

JP, XA, MS, JM, RB, YB will struggle to get 5 Premiership goals between them.

Babel looks very raw, still.

Who else is there? You can't win titles and rely on just one or two players to score ALL the goals, even Chelsea - who depend heavily on Drogba and Lampard - can expect a decent return from Malouda, Joe Cole (and Robben and Duff used to chip in, too) etc.

We haven't scored anywhere near enough goals to challenge for the title in recent years, and while I expect the strikers to score quite a few, none will match the likes of Drogba, and that means we need goals from all over the side (which is what Benitez wants too). However, we don't have enough players who can score goals.

Pennant is one of them, and given how much attacking he does, and possession he has, his goalscoring record is a disgrace.

Attacking players must, MUST score goals.

Because otherwise I think there's an intolerable pressure on the other midfielders to score. And apart from Gerrard, we don't have one who can.

Who else is there? You can't win titles and rely on just one or two players to score ALL the goals, even Chelsea - who depend heavily on Drogba and Lampard - can expect a decent return from Malouda, Joe Cole (and Robben and Duff used to chip in, too) etc.

We haven't scored anywhere near enough goals to challenge for the title in recent years, and while I expect the strikers to score quite a few, none will match the likes of Drogba, and that means we need goals from all over the side (which is what Benitez wants too). However, we don't have enough players who can score goals.

Pennant is one of them, and given how much attacking he does, and possession he has, his goalscoring record is a disgrace.

if he is a 'proper' winger how is he going to score goals, he's quick but not quick enough to get on the end of his own crosses.

He's been one of our best player over the last few games, I'm made up. It show's you what you can do, if you want to.

It looked like he had the arl "I'm at Liverpool, I've made it" attidude, but he's got his head down and put some graft in. Well done JP from the Wigster.

Completely agree. I felt we were really weak in the areas of pace, goals and trickery/cunning/craftiness/guile last season and the only one I'm certain we've addressed is pace.

if he is a 'proper' winger how is he going to score goals, he's quick but not quick enough to get on the end of his own crosses.

Oh come on sipdey, you know what I mean. The odd cut inside and shot? Getting a knock-down from a corner. He doesn't fucking take all of them. Getting on the end of a cross from someone else? Like from the left-hand side?

Pennant is no goal threat at all.

Barnes and Macca, our last two quality wingers could score goals.

ALL top wingers contribute goals.

Which is why he isn't one.

He's just quite good.

Oh come on sipdey, you know what I mean. The odd cut inside and shot? Getting a knock-down from a corner. He doesn't fucking take all of them. Getting on the end of a cross from someone else? Like from the left-hand side?

Pennant is no goal threat at all.

Barnes and Macca, our last two quality wingers could score goals.

ALL top wingers contribute goals.

Which is why he isn't one.

He's just quite good.

Which is a hell of a lot better than I was expecting from him.

Completely agree. I felt we were really weak in the areas of pace, goals and trickery/cunning/craftiness/guile last season and the only one I'm certain we've addressed is pace.

Maybe Benayoun was brought in for guile/ craftiness/ cunning, but I think that's dreadful racial stereotyping.

Thing is, I do think Tennants is a decent player. I always have. But he's just not "great", and that goal-scoring record is simply beyond belief.

I agree that he should try and score more goals. Just wondering why 5 is the magic number. I think he will score more goals this season anyway.