You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The signs of aging

Paul

I turned 36 in March, which technically makes me middle-aged with a male life expectancy in this country of around 72. I don't know whether it's just coincidence, but the last few months have given me a few little signs that I'm nudging onwards, age-wise. I got my first grey hair a couple of months ago and I'm beginning to feel physical activity more the next day. For example, we've had a climbing wall fitted outside for the kids at work and I had a go yesterday. My arms, legs and fingers are fucking killing me this morning and I was only on it for about four minutes. It's nothing much and I'm certainly not bothered by it, but I just find it quite interesting the way a couple of little signs have recently appeared. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what else is in the post for me?*

*NB, Hermes, I know about your dementia. I'm warding that off with mental exercises and injections of shark's blood.

I'm 24, and there has been the recent appearance of nosehair.

Of course I can't yet grow a proper beard, and so I probably have a bit of time on my side.

I saw some frightening statistics about how long police officer's tend to live after their retirement. The figure was 8-9 years. I retire at 49, so will be dead by 58. I'm only 34 years away from death myself.

Of course I can't yet grow a proper beard, and so I probably have a bit of time on my side.

I saw some frightening statistics about how long police officer's tend to live after their retirement. The figure was 8-9 years. I retire at 49, so will be dead by 58. I'm only 34 years away from death myself.

Im also 24 and the nose hair has started to come down, I cant grow a decent pair of sidies let alone a beard so im some way off old age at the minute.

I have noticed hang overs are getting worse gradually though.

Worse hangovers, the odd grey hair (had my first at eighteen) but very few, nasal hair, checking for ear hair, I can grow a decent beard, eyebrows grow uncontrollably, ache after any form of rigorous physical exercise, I sleep less, I notice coppers are getting younger, I'm no longer the youngest in my office and youthful arrogance has faded, can't operate without at least ten brews a day, I’m astonished that kids born in 1989 can legally get served in the boozer, that kids younger than that do get served (and weren't even born at the time of Italia 90), I buy more films than albums, I'm turning into my old man.

All this at 29, I'm not complaining I actually love it.

You call that frightening? I knew a copper who died 3 DAYS after he retired. Poor bastard never even got the chance to cash his cheque.

Stray hairs are a bastard when you get older. I'v had a fucking annoying amount of nasal hair for about 10 years and Dennis Healys for about the same time. I'm always sticking the trimmer up both snotters and/or trimming the eyebrows. In fact I'm on my third trimmer - my latest one you can run under the tap while it's still turned on! Wow!

And before any smart arse points out, I do not have any bogeys in my eyebrows.

I turned 36 in April. Grey hairs starting to take hold, and not in a distinguished way either. Knees and ankles fucked, recently diagnosed with arthritis, so that explains that. I've always been fit, but not anymore. The slightest exercise absolutely fucks me now, in fact I'm rather relieved (or not) if Mrs redmen has a headache nowadays, that certainly is a turn up for the books, believe me.

The worst thing is that I'm actually starting to look my age. Always had a youthful good looks thing going, depending on who you ask, not anymore I look 36, tried telling someone I was 28 last week and they just fuckin' laughed at me, I mean it's only seven years, not that hard to believe is it?

Oh the humanity.

I am 38 years old, not yet suffering to bad from this 'aching' thing but i am sure it will come.

I do alot of running, Marathon's full one's and 1/2 marathons, plus 10K races whenever, plus I do the gym 4 times a week at lunchtime, so I think I am physically fit and I guess that helps keeping fit to wards off the old age...

I have done the climbling frame thing Paul, you use muscles that you never usually do and that fucks you up good style......

I get away with 21, most of the people in uni are shocked when they find out im 24 and some of the lads I went to Glasto with all said they thought I was their age when about 4 older than them.

I know its not much but i feel old already so its nice to think i can trim a couple of digits off.

take it from me, it's the ear hair that gives you away. Paul, you would be wise to invest in one of those ear/nose/starfish hair removers. Aches and pains after strenuous exercise only manifest themselves after 2 days, and you find yourself listening to You and Yours. You've got to rage against the dimming of the light might. NEVER sit down for just a wee.

Definitely been getting that "all downhill from here" feeling lately. Having turned 35 in March, the entire year since has been an absolute fucker for me with my health - I've only just got over pneumonia, which no-one is going to convince me I would have got at 25.

I don't have ear hair as such, but last year I did find a weird, inch long whiskery hair sprouting out of my ear LOBE... which in a dull sort of way I found really fucked up and disturbing.

I thought the most dangerous time for a copper was the week before retirement. That's what Hollywood told me, anyway.

I don't know what you're all complaining about. It's all in the mind. My grandad lived until he was 95, heavy smoker and drinker. The day before he died he said to me "Do you know something, I can run faster now than I could 94 years ago".

The worst thing is that I'm actually starting to look my age. Always had a youthful good looks thing going, depending on who you ask, not anymore I look 36, tried telling someone I was 28 last week and they just fuckin' laughed at me, I mean it's only seven years, not that hard to believe is it?

Oh the humanity.

Age is proper fucking up your mental arithmetic too.