You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Freddie Flintoff

Section_31

How dare someone go for a drunk after a long days work. Sack him and everything he stands for!

I might have this wrong, but wasn't it a case of going out for a long drink BEFORE a days work ? It was the Saturday night/Sunday morning of the game wasn't it ?

The same place you got that he was drunk before the game!

Is there an actual reason why it's a big deal yet? Other then sportsmen shouldn't - why not?

The Canada game I was talking about. He was drunk before it, the day before it.

The deal is that he's a sportsman and he's getting pissed at the World Cup, so some people think that might not be a great idea

If you want a drink that's all well and good, but as a professional representing his country in a high profile event he has shown very poor judgement. It's also possible that his drunken antics might have ended in drowning, and then where would his family be?

It's up to him to sort himself. If he can learn from this mistake then he could well go on to be great. If he can't then more fool him.

We'd probably beat Canada even if the whole team was pissed.

That's probably what Pakistan thought about Ireland or India about Bangladesh.

It couldn't give a shit about him drowning himself or his family it just annoys me that he can't stay off the drink during a World Cup when I don't have a drink on a Friday because of football on a Saturday. It's pretty basic really, drink damages physical capacity, so wait till the World cup's over.

It couldn't give a shit about him drowning himself or his family it just annoys me that he can't stay off the drink during a World Cup when I don't have a drink on a Friday because of football on a Saturday. It's pretty basic really, drink damages physical capacity, so wait till the World cup's over.

I agree fully. It smacks of arrogance.

Guest TK-421

I know mate, it was a throwaway comment. It goes without saying he shouldn't get pissed at any stage of the tournament unless it's celebrating winning the trophy.

I still find it funny that he fell out of a pedalo, though.

The Canada game I was talking about. He was drunk before it, the day before it.

The deal is that he's a sportsman and he's getting pissed at the World Cup, so some people think that might not be a great idea

Jesus, technicalities now? He was drunk on the Friday night- going into Saturday morning- doesn't really count as a day before does it? The whole team were in fact allowed to drink anyway- it was a curfew they broke. Can't believe people are prepared to take a comment from a Journalist along the lines of 'got into difficulties' as could have drowned. It's a journalist's job to sensationalise the news and he doesn't even mention the word drowning.

On one hand people want characters in Sport but on the other maintain they should be 100% dedicated and professional at all times, with any discretion however minor punished extremely harshly. Unfortunately Sportsmen are human too.

Again the question is begged- as someone who evidently doesn't think it's a good idea, what is the fucking problem?

Jesus, technicalities now? He was drunk on the Friday night- going into Saturday morning- doesn't really count as a day before does it? The whole team were in fact allowed to drink anyway- it was a curfew they broke. Can't believe people are prepared to take a comment from a Journalist along the lines of 'got into difficulties' as could have drowned. It's a journalist's job to sensationalise the news and he doesn't even mention the word drowning.

On one hand people want characters in Sport but on the other maintain they should be 100% dedicated and professional at all times, with any discretion however minor punished extremely harshly. Unfortunately Sportsmen are human too.

Again the question is begged- as someone who evidently doesn't think it's a good idea, what is the fucking problem?

The fucking problem numbnuts is that these matches aren't just some pre-season jolly where nobody gives a fuck. English people expect the team to do well, as do the team itself. And if one of the key players goes out and gets hammered (hammered, as opposed to a couple of beers) a couple of days before a world cup fixture (or however many days, its irrelevant), then that makes him look like a cunt who isn't taking it seriously.

The fucking problem numbnuts is that these matches aren't just some pre-season jolly where nobody gives a fuck. English people expect the team to do well, as do the team itself. And if one of the key players goes out and gets hammered (hammered, as opposed to a couple of beers) a couple of days before a world cup fixture (or however many days, its irrelevant), then that makes him look like a cunt who isn't taking it seriously.
How do we know he got hammered? The Press

What's the press' job? To sensationalise to sell papers

How do we know he's not dedicated to the cause? Because the Newspaper says so

Inappropriate? Perhaps

Scandal of the century? Never

How do we know he got hammered? The Press

What's the press' job? To sensationalise to sell papers

How do we know he's not dedicated to the cause? Because the Newspaper says so

Inappropriate? Perhaps

Scandal of the century? Never

It obviously wasn't acceptable to his peers, coz they dropped his ass against Canada. That would have been harsh as fuck if he wasnt hammered non?

It obviously wasn't acceptable to his peers, coz they dropped his ass against Canada. That would have been harsh as fuck if he wasnt hammered non?
I covered this point earlier on. Could be a token gesture seeing as it was only fucking Canada and also to appease the whinging masses after the story leaked.

If you can't see the problem of drinking heavily before a World Cup match then I'm not going to try and explain it.

Guest TK-421

If a footballer of Freddie's stature, say Frank Lampard, got smashed and fell out of a pedalo during the World Cup group stage he'd be on the first Airbus home.

Have just read the thread again and saw that Joey's Pogo made the same point, but I think it bears repeating.