You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve Irwin RIP

NelCarra

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davestan84
Shush, we live in the ere of celebrity, non-celebrity folk aren't considered worthy of respect.

:no Be different if it was one of your family members u idiot

Guest davestan84
Climb down off your sunbed a minute, I didn't say you couldn't pay respects to both. I was taking the piss out of society not Steve Irwin.

My apologies

Well, I can tell two things about most of the posters on this thread.

i) Quite correctly, you take YNWA very seriously.

ii) Most of you know very little about Steve Irwin, other than the fact he was "that crocodile bloke".

To dismiss the guy as just a "celebrity" in particular is a joke. This is a man who has raised a fucking fortune for conservation projects worldwide, has developed his parent's tiny wildlife park into one of Australia's premier tourist attractions and educational resources and devoted his life to running it and who frankly had more determination, guts and charisma in his little finger than most of today's so-called "celebrities" could muster throughout the entire course of their miserable drug-addled lives.

The difference between Steve Irwin and those people is that Irwin was doing something worthwhile. Yes he promoted himself, but by doing so he also promoted what he did and helped to educate and inform people worldwide. Just because he didn't have the diction of Sir David Attenborough doesn't mean he was just some goof from the outback who rolled up on the last road train. Some of the comments in this thread (which I agree should definitely be on the GF, not on here) are just downright churlish. You'd think it was fucking Dennis Irwin that had died.

As far as the British servicemen go, is it an either/or proposition or are most people, like me, saddened by all those deaths as well?

Slate away chaps, but don't expect a response. I've said my piece.

Oh, just one more thing. Kate Silverton? You are joking, right? Hampster-cheeked talentless bint who's found her true vocation squatting like a bullfrog on the sofa with Dermot Murnaghan in the awful middle-class news-void that is BBC Breakfast. She makes Kaplinsky seem like Jeremy Paxman.

This thread should definitely get moved over to the General Forum for starters. I liked Steve Irwin, thought his early shows were mad funny and he always brought a smile to my face with his crazy capers. Always weird when someone you liked dies, be it a friend or a personality. I was shocked when I heard the news, although he died doing what he loved, and I only wish that when my time is up I can go the same way.

" Crickey! That one's a beauty"

Guest molbyscorchio

ii) Most of you know very little about Steve Irwin, other than the fact he was "that crocodile bloke".

To dismiss the guy as just a "celebrity" in particular is a joke. This is a man who has raised a fucking fortune for conservation projects worldwide, has developed his parent's tiny wildlife park into one of Australia's premier tourist attractions and educational resources and devoted his life to running it and who frankly had more determination, guts and charisma in his little finger than most of today's so-called "celebrities" could muster throughout the entire course of their miserable drug-addled lives.

The difference between Steve Irwin and those people is that Irwin was doing something worthwhile. Yes he promoted himself, but by doing so he also promoted what he did and helped to educate and inform people worldwide. Just because he didn't have the diction of Sir David Attenborough doesn't mean he was just some goof from the outback who rolled up on the last road train. Some of the comments in this thread (which I agree should definitely be on the GF, not on here) are just downright churlish. You'd think it was fucking Dennis Irwin that had died.

As far as the British servicemen go, is it an either/or proposition or are most people, like me, saddened by all those deaths as well?

Oh, just one more thing. Kate Silverton? You are joking, right? Hampster-cheeked talentless bint who's found her true vocation squatting like a bullfrog on the sofa with Dermot Murnaghan in the awful middle-class news-void that is BBC Breakfast. She makes Kaplinsky seem like Jeremy Paxman.

agree with all of that.

No, and that's the point I was making. Before I get torn to shreds, I actually liked Steve Irwin a lot and, yes, I knew of the work he'd done with animals. I was actually ridiculing the way that people have an outpouring over something like this but they don't when catastrophies are happening all over the world. It was a point of context, not an attack on Irwin.

FUCKIN SPOT ON

END OF TOPIC 8)

RIP Steve

I know feck all about Kate Silverton, but the rest is spot on mate.

Felt he was a dick and his programmes seemed to centre on pissing off wild animals as 'entertainment'. Reminded of kids that pull a dogs tail and get a surprise when it bites them. From what I've read the bull ray merely felt cornered by Irwin and the cameraman so lashed out.

Great post!