You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2024

It’s time we upped sticks and let the 2022 thread die. 

It’s never been more exciting to be a fan of the sweet science. Anthony Joshua is fighting Ngannou tonight and it’s just been announced that 57 year-old Mike Tyson is fighting that YouTube knobhead, Jake Paul, steamed live on Netflix. Seriously. 

This is the golden age. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Anthony Joshua is fighting Ngannou tonight

I thought I'd dreamed that. It's fucking well Friday, right? 

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m on a DAZN stream. This bowing down again and again to the sheik and the Saudis is sickening. 

Every fucking time. 

Same as the rumble and the thriller comrade. Ali, Foreman and Frazier did the same.

Maybe not as overtly, but as a boxer, you are but a player and you stroke the balls of the despot who puts the money up.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Same as the rumble and the thriller comrade. Ali, Foreman and Frazier did the same.

Maybe not as overtly, but as a boxer, you are but a player and you stroke the balls of the despot who puts the money up.

This is like once a month now, Saudi propaganda beamed all over the world. If it was an African or Asian country at least they’d be able to fill an arena with people that provide an atmosphere. This is like Covid boxing. Half of the sparse crowd are current or ex-boxers being paid loads to go out there. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

This is like once a month now, Saudi propaganda beamed all over the world. If it was an African or Asian country at least they’d be able to fill an arena with people that provide an atmosphere. This is like Covid boxing. Half of the sparse crowd are current or ex-boxers being paid loads to go out there. 

It's as though that Turkey bloke is the only fella in Saudi that actually likes boxing and forcing it upon everyone. Like the UK media with the royals.

19 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m on a DAZN stream. This bowing down again and again to the sheik and the Saudis is sickening. 

Every fucking time. 

I’ve got the sky one. Woolhouse is still amazing. Macklin on commentary is always decent. 

Sick of all this “his excellency” bollocks. 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yeah, I get that, it's not a once in a generation thing, or a 'fight of the century' thing,  but it's where the money is and bowing and scraping for your wages is part of the process. I'm not saying it's right, or palatable or that a stand should be made for or against it, just saying that in boxing history, no matter how frequently, the balls of despots have been stroked for a nation enhancing bonanza. 

It's fucking dreadful on every intellectual and logical and moral level, but its money. Plus it's not like Boxing hasn't gone down the 'Two flies crawling up a wall with unbeaten records' hasn't milked the PPV 'super fight' shit in every other country either.

Back in the day, it was the despots who were the only fuckers who could afford to put it on.

These days,Boxing fans are being conned week by week.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Yeah, I get that, it's not a once in a generation thing, or a 'fight of the century' thing,  but it's where the money is and bowing and scraping for your wages is part of the process. I'm not saying it's right, or palatable or that a stand should be made for or against it, just saying that in boxing history, no matter how frequently, the balls of despots have been stroked for a nation enhancing bonanza. 

It's fucking dreadful on every intellectual and logical and moral level, but its money. Plus it's not like Boxing hasn't gone down the 'Two flies crawling up a wall with unbeaten records' hasn't milked the PPV 'super fight' shit in every other country either.

Back in the day, it was the despots who were the only fuckers who could afford to put it on.

These days,Boxing fans are being conned week by week.

Put yourself in a fighters position. Do I go and make myself comfortable for life by fighting in the desert or try and maintain a moral high ground where I might not even get the fights I want because my opponents only want to bend over and take it? I think Arum and Vegas might start getting the hump soon enough especially if the big American/Mexican fighters start winking at the Saudis every time. 

The atmospheres though are wank. Hope the bubble bursts soon because it’s making it even more boring than it’s become lately. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Better atmosphere in Eddie Hearns back garden 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Put yourself in a fighters position. Do I go and make myself comfortable for life by fighting in the desert or try and maintain a moral high ground where I might not even get the fights I want because my opponents only want to bend over and take it? I think Arum and Vegas might start getting the hump soon enough especially if the big American/Mexican fighters start winking at the Saudis every time. 

The atmospheres though are wank. Hope the bubble bursts soon because it’s making it even more boring than it’s become lately. 

I'm not arguing with you Comrade, I'm agreeing, it was always the way and always will be. That's the point I was making,

Boxing is now more shit than ever it was, it used to be the occasional stroking of Despotic balls, now it's the norm. 

But most of the reason for that is because 'fans' have been either conned or convinced that two undefeated no marks facing off is now and should be considered a PPV event. It's now the norm.

2 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I'm not arguing with you Comrade, I'm agreeing, it was always the way and always will be. That's the point I was making,

Boxing is now more shit than ever it was, it used to be the occasional stroking of Despotic balls, now it's the norm. 

But most of the reason for that is because 'fans' have been either conned or convinced that two undefeated no marks facing off is now and should be considered a PPV event. It's now the norm.

Spot on mate I was agreeing too. Anyway, one glimmer of hope is on next. Come on Ball lad win this title 

I watched the Matt Macklin interview on Sky earlier and he was making out that Ball beating Vargas would be an 'upset'. 

Yet Ball is 8/15 fav. I don't know whether that's daft mug money or not. 

I like Macklin, decent fighter and a ood pundit.

So Vargas at 13/8 it is.