You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jarell Quansah welcome to/he's already at Liverpool!

Megadrive Man

• 2 weeks later...

I like the cut of his jib,

Liverpool’s Jarell Quansah insists he has achieved nothing yet because he is not classed as one of the world’s greats.

The defender has made his Anfield breakthrough this season and earned the faith of boss Jurgen Klopp.

The manager said this month he was surprised about his rapid rise, with Liverpool having considered sending Quansah out on loan again after he spent the second half of last season with Bristol Rovers in League One.

But the England Under-21 international, who made his Young Lions debut last month, has now made nine appearances for the Reds this season.

However, it is not enough for the ambitious 20-year-old, who wants to make a lasting mark on the game.

He said: “No (his season has not exceeded expectations), because no-one has said ‘Jarell Quansah is one of the best players in the world’ yet.

“No-one’s said ‘he’s a top centre-back’. No-one’s said ‘he’s all this’, so until I’m regarded as at least one of the best players in the Premier League, then there is no reason for me to sit on what I’ve got and go ‘Oh yeah, I’ve played nine games for Liverpool’. That’s never been the end goal.

“I’ve always just wanted to be a winner. I’ve hated losing since I was young. I used to cry when I lost. When I lose, it still ruins my weekend and stuff like that.

“There is no point in setting goals that you think you could reach. You might as well just set a goal that maybe looks out of reach but you never know what you can get to.

“Surprised could be deemed an interesting word but I think he (Klopp) means I wasn’t expected to be there yet.

“I don’t think it was ‘It’s a surprise, I’ve trained with him before and he’s not a good player’. It was about how soon it’s come and how I’ve dealt with the adversity I have been thrown into.

“It’s not expected from being on loan at Bristol Rovers to going straight into the first team, and to do as well as I did. That’s where the surprise came from.”

Quansah made his debut in Liverpool’s late 2-1 win at Newcastle in August, coming on as a substitute for the injured Joel Matip after Virgil Van Dijk was sent off.

He also had a goal disallowed in the Reds’ 3-2 Europa League defeat in Toulouse last week, while Harvey Elliott, Curtis Jones and Trent Alexander-Arnold have all offered words of wisdom.

He said: “They just say enjoy it. It sounds so simple and cliche but it is easy for young centre-halves to not play their game, play safe and not do what they do at other levels just because it is a step up.

“Them saying that relaxes you a bit, so when I get told to enjoy it I can be free and just play. I don’t have to worry about making mistakes because they’re going to happen.

“I can’t remember the last player who had a perfect career and never made a mistake, that is going to happen and that is the way you learn best so just enjoy myself and do the best I can.”

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Harsh but I like this attitude…

IMG_0529.jpeg

I had the opposite opinion. He's entitled to think that but the best way of looking at making that comment in a tv interview is it's highlighting his inexperience and at worse it shows a lack of class.

Can't imagine his team-mates thinking highly of the comment.

29 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

I had the opposite opinion. He's entitled to think that but the best way of looking at making that comment in a tv interview is it's highlighting his inexperience and at worse it shows a lack of class.

Can't imagine his team-mates thinking highly of the comment.

Think it. Don’t say it. 

55 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'd like to think his tongue was firmly wedged in his cheek when he said that. The CB gang all seem to have good camaraderie.

In the words of E. Hitler, "Only joking; it's good for morale."

I've seen the interview and it wasn't.

He gets a bit of a pass for being a kid but if he was a few years older he'd have just come across a bit cunt-ish.

1 hour ago, Turkish Delight said:

I've seen the interview and it wasn't.

He gets a bit of a pass for being a kid but if he was a few years older he'd have just come across a bit cunt-ish.

He’s a kid and yeah he gets a pass, I’ve no problem with him thinking it, but he comes across a bit of a twat saying it, especially considering the circumstances.