You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Something Fishy about Rishi

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Tell me what part you're struggling with and why, and I'll try to explain.

Your implication that a left wing government had ever had a problem kicking the national front out of government. 

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Your implication that a left wing government had ever had a problem kicking the national front out of government. 

That's what you read into my comments? 

I was referring to the lesser of two evils concept, in this case, that we can either spend our lives harking after a genuine left-wing alternative that has always failed to dislodge the Tories in this country and probably always will, or settle for something more palatable (like Starmer's Labour) to a largely conservative and apolitical electorate.

I've long ago settled for the latter because I really want these cunts out of power. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I was referring to the lesser of two evils concept, in this case, that we can either spend our lives harking after a genuine left-wing alternative that has always failed to dislodge the Tories in this country and probably always will, or settle for something more palatable (like Starmer's Labour) to a largely conservative and apolitical electorate.

I've long ago settled for the latter because I really want these cunts out of power. 

Yeah most of us want them out (unfortunately we do have a few tories on here) but your post read like more of a dig towards the left. Maybe I read it wrong. Apologies 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

If that's what it takes to finally kick the National Front out of government then let's hope the 1950's Conservative Party are successful, eh? 

History tells us a left-wing alternative is never going to do it.

Labour in 1997 was Maoism compared to this iteration, and obviously Attlee was much further to the left than that, so I'm not entirely sure that's truth. I'm aware you're happy to accept absoutely anything they put forward though, and everyone who thinks otherwise is very stupid, so we're unlikely to find much common ground here.

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I honestly think we must be one of the most conservative countries in the world.

we have had 1 centre left government in half a century  and anyone concerned with workers rights is branded a marxist. I honestly don.t know how labour challenge that, Its embedded in our DNA. 

23 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I honestly think we must be one of the most conservative countries in the world.

we have had 1 centre left government in half a century  and anyone concerned with workers rights is branded a marxist. I honestly don.t know how labour challenge that, Its embedded in our DNA. 

I have posted this before - but have a read it sums up the problem nicely IMO

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/why-does-england-vote-tory/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Labour in 1997 was Maoism compared to this iteration, and obviously Attlee was much further to the left than that, so I'm not entirely sure that's truth. I'm aware you're happy to accept absoutely anything they put forward though, and everyone who thinks otherwise is very stupid, so we're unlikely to find much common ground here.

Labour in 97 were called red Tories by the same people who call Labour red Tories today, and largely for the same reasons: cosying up to the right wing rags, refusal to renationalise everything, defecting Tories joining them, tough on crime, sticking to Tory spending  budgets. So let's not rewrite history here.

As for Atlee, a great man, a visionary, but fuck knows what today's left would make of him: a patriot, an imperialist, a Zionist some claim, gave us the nuclear bomb ..

Yes, he renationalised, but then  the 1959s Tory Party you referred to above agreed with him.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Christ I wish Brown didn’t delay calling a GE when all experts said he’d have won. 

Sliding doors moment. The worst thing about it all is that he was spooked about Cameron's announcement on inheritance tax.

7 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Christ I wish Brown didn’t delay calling a GE when all experts said he’d have won. 

Same.it still does my head in that. Always liked Brown. He'd have done loads of good stuff. Gutted when he didn't call it. 

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

he seems to be almost universally unpopular

I think he thought he was the main man when he got the job when in-fact the Tory party were just using him as a butt-plug to take the GE hit before the big re-brand. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

Are Sky news actually reporting this on their channel, or is it someone just tweeting about it?

They were live when he was getting shoved out of the room by security.