You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inexplicably bad songs by otherwise good bands

I think the title is self explanatory. Not bad songs by bad bands but songs by bands you rate but seem to suggest either looming contractual obligation or too many drugs or maybe both.

Songs that are so awful they almost eclipse the rest of the back catalogue.  

Golden lights by the Smiths. Just beyond belief bad. Sounds like it was recorded under water. If you were bringing a court case to say the Smiths were overrated shit, this song alone would be the centre plank of your case. 

• Upvote 1

I did a version of the thread many moons ago where you had to try and guess if the previous poster was rating a good song by a shit band or a shit song by a good band....according to them.

Right now I can only think of the opposite of the thread title: The Osmonds with Crazy Horses

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I did a version of the thread many moons ago where you had to try and guess if the previous poster was rating a good song by a shit band or a shit song by a good band....according to them.

Right now I can only think of the opposite of the thread title: The Osmonds with Crazy Horses

Good idea. Good songs by shit bands. 

18 minutes ago, Remmie said:

One Bad Apple by The Osmonds is good, total Jackson 5 rip off like.

On topic...

Neil Young - Like A Hurricane

The Beatles - Piggies

Miles Davis - I Thought About You

Crosby Stills & Nash - Marrakesh Express

Jethro Tull - The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Remmie said:

As per this specific thread, I've always thought 'P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing)' by Michael Jackson was really out of place on Thriller. It's so mediocre compared to the rest of the album. 'Say Say Say' would have been better for a filler, but Macca already had that on Pipes of Peace plus Thriller already contained another of their duets, 'The Girl Is Mine'.

As for the opposite of this thread, I can't stand Cliff Richard and his music for blue-rinsed death cheaters, the born again brigade and Wimbledon luvvies, but 'Devil Woman' is a genuine belter.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

In fairness, you have spent your entire adult life on this forum.

There’s nothing you haven’t seen, started or been smack bang in the middle of.

It’s an outstanding record that will stand until your offspring come of age.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

In fairness, you have spent your entire adult life on this forum.

There’s nothing you haven’t seen, started or been smack bang in the middle of.

It’s an outstanding record that will stand until your offspring come of age.

Someone has been paying attention, respect Commandatori

1 hour ago, Mook said:

On topic...

The Beatles - Piggies

Wrong Miles Davis song, I meant Nothing Like You, bizarrely sitting at the end of one of his most amazing LPs (Sorcerer).

4 hours ago, Mook said:

On topic...

The Beatles - Piggies

Like A Hurricane is an outrageous shout. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, paddyberger said:

Like A Hurricane is an outrageous shout. 

Honestly, I absolutely love pretty much everything Neil Young did in the 70s but can't stand that song. The guitar lick has the same effect on me as that sax break in Baker Street. I know it's a controversial one but we like what we like.