You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

50 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

There is zero chance Rooney is in the top dozen players of all time.

So I believe we were talking about the quality of his career rather than who's the best player. So it's unlikely Rooney is a better footballer than Best for example, but he had much better career. By any measurement being the leading scorer of major footballing nation and a club with one of the largest followings in football

globally, coupled with the countless trophies he won, in my opinion there are very few players who have achieved as good a career as Rooney. 

28 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Rooney  isn’t in the best 12 Man U players of all time. 

Cantona

Scholes

Keane

Giggs

Ronaldo

Best

Schmeichel

Ferdinand

Beckham

RVN

Charlton

Law

Vidic

Stam

RVP
not even mentioning the Busby Babes.

I would say Rooney had a better career than every single one of those players with the exception of Ronaldo. He mightn't be a better footballer than them all, but his career was better - maybe he's on a par with beckham. I think because it's him and them (plus maybe because he's a bloo) it's easy to dismiss the achievement of being the leading scorer for England and man united. He's literally surpassed every goalscorer that's played for either side ever. I don't know how that can be seen as anything other than a fucking amazing career. You can try and mitigate it a million different ways, plays more international games, spent longer at man u than vidic, didn't have the laugh Best had. But we're talking about 2 institutions  with a combined history of about 300 years.

Wayne Rooney might be a fat, granny shagging blue nosed manc cunt, but he had an absolutely 1st class career. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

So I believe we were talking about the quality of his career rather than who's the best player. So it's unlikely Rooney is a better footballer than Best for example, but he had much better career. By any measurement being the leading scorer of major footballing nation and a club with one of the largest followings in football

globally, coupled with the countless trophies he won, in my opinion there are very few players who have achieved as good a career as Rooney. 

I would say Rooney had a better career than every single one of those players with the exception of Ronaldo. He mightn't be a better footballer than them all, but his career was better - maybe he's on a par with beckham. I think because it's him and them (plus maybe because he's a bloo) it's easy to dismiss the achievement of being the leading scorer for England and man united. He's literally surpassed every goalscorer that's played for either side ever. I don't know how that can be seen as anything other than a fucking amazing career. You can try and mitigate it a million different ways, plays more international games, spent longer at man u than vidic, didn't have the laugh Best had. But we're talking about 2 institutions  with a combined history of about 300 years.

Wayne Rooney might be a fat, granny shagging blue nosed manc cunt, but he had an absolutely 1st class career. 

Fair enough regarding career I suppose but I think you can add Giggs to that.

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Rooney  isn’t in the best 12 Man U players of all time. 

Cantona

Scholes

Keane

Giggs

Ronaldo

Best

Schmeichel

Ferdinand

Beckham

RVN

Charlton

Law

Vidic

Stam

RVP
not even mentioning the Busby Babes.

Most of those are from the mid 1990s to today, what a co incidence. van Persie and Nistelroy? Not a united afficianado but no Stiles, Violett, Buchan, Robson?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Most of those are from the mid 1990s to today, what a co incidence. van Persie and Nistelroy? Not a united afficianado but no Stiles, Violett, Buchan, Robson?

What’s the coincidence their great run? Buchan was a good player won next to nowt. Good player not a good career if trophies are a guide. The names where of the top of my head mate.

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Fair enough regarding career I suppose but I think you can add Giggs to that.

Giggs had a fucking great career, no doubt about it. It will probably be tainted a bit as he never took international football seriously. 

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

In the world?

Yes in the world. He's a leading scorer at one of the biggest and most famous footballing institutions in the world. And he's leading scorer of a major international country. It's not like he was leading scorer for Everton and northern Ireland or something.  Absolutely anyone who achieves either of those things has likely had a great career, he's done both and won a bucket full of medals too. He's up there with the likes of gerd Muller or Raul. He's not at the level of a Ronaldo or Messi but he's had a spectacular career. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Yes in the world. He's a leading scorer at one of the biggest and most famous footballing institutions in the world. And he's leading scorer of a major international country. It's not like he was leading scorer for Everton and northern Ireland or something.  Absolutely anyone who achieves either of those things has likely had a great career, he's done both and won a bucket full of medals too. He's up there with the likes of gerd Muller or Raul. He's not at the level of a Ronaldo or Messi but he's had a spectacular career. 

I would have given you the benefit of the doubt if you had said as an Englishman playing in England - he is maybe in the top 15 or 20.

Two people he is not up there with are Raul and Gerd Muller.

He struggles to be in a conversation with guys like Henry and Ibrahimovic.

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I would have given you the benefit of the doubt if you had said as an Englishman playing in England - he is maybe in the top 15 or 20.

Two people he is not up there with are Raul and Gerd Muller.

He struggles to be in a conversation with guys like Henry and Ibrahimovic.

Henry and ibrahimovic also had great careers, but Henry for me is behind him but I can see why people would argue differently. Ibrahimovic can't be doubted as a great career and he's worshipped where he's from. But I would say all of these players have had tremendous careers , the sides they've played for and what they then achieve make them internationally recognised stars.  We'll have to disagree about Muller and raul, as i think he took himself up the their career levels. 

Let's put a little factual stuff around these opinions.

Henry was the leading scorer in the league four out five years - the year he was not he led the league in assists. He scored 9 less PL goals than Rooney in about 150 less games.

Five years in a row he scored 20+ league goals, Rooney did that twice in his entire career and never won the Boot.

Of course Henry also won La Liga, the CL, a World Cup and the Euros.

Muller won the World Cup (and Golden Boot) the Euros (and Golden boot) and the European Cup three times (and Golden boot winner each time). He also won the Balon D'Or.

So we will have to disagree.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

Henry and ibrahimovic also had great careers, but Henry for me is behind him but I can see why people would argue differently. Ibrahimovic can't be doubted as a great career and he's worshipped where he's from. But I would say all of these players have had tremendous careers , the sides they've played for and what they then achieve make them internationally recognised stars.  We'll have to disagree about Muller and raul, as i think he took himself up the their career levels. 

12Nv3nBSCAbLO0.gif

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Let's put a little factual stuff around these opinions.

Henry was the leading scorer in the league four out five years - the year he was not he led the league in assists.

Five years in a row he scored 20+ league goals, Rooney did that twice in his entire career and never won the Boot.

Of course Henry also won La Liga, the CL, a World Cup and the Euros.

Muller won the World Cup (and Golden Boot) the Euros (and Golden boot) and the European Cup three times (and Golden boot winner each time). He also won the Balon D'Or.

So we will have to disagree.

Van Basten. Di Stefano. Romario. Ronaldo(Brazil) . Behind Henry? That’s me out Clive.