You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

you’ll feel the effects of it and get a bit clammy, and maybe now it’s winter and the moisture in your breath condenses in the cold, your mask might get a bit damp if you’re wearing it while on a cold train platform, 

Just to clarify for those at the back, who may not have been paying attention...

If you wear a mask for an extended period or while you're exerting yourself, the mask will become damp and feel clammy. (If you've got a reusable one, it will need washing from time to time, or it will get stinky.) This is because it traps most of the moisture from your exhalations, thus limiting the spread of the virus.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well maybe sometimes, but all the time? I do get anxious and claustrophobic. Also when there are clouds in the sky I feel closed in, like I have a blanket on me.

It sounds as though you might have some mental health issues. Rather than fixate on masks and what you are being asked to do, perhaps get some help.

I’m spewing over the back to self isolating if you’ve been in contact even after getting the jabs. Whether it’s right or not is a different question but it’s absolutely gutting and going to feel like back to square one. Feel proper cheated

My kids school will be buzzing their tits with excitement that it’ll be an excuse to get the kids sent home again every other week. It was 8 or 9 times in the last school year that they had to isolate as contacts of someone in the class last year so we’ve probably got that to look forward to again.

Probably come across like a moaning cunt there but I’m fucking sick of it. 
I don’t even know what the point of posting that was but I just wanted a rant.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'd rather not use the disposable ones, they're an environmental catastrophe in the making.

True, that.

And if you get a reusable mask from Every Doctor UK, you're supporting a doctor-led campaign against NHS privatisation.

https://shop.everydoctor.org.uk/collections/double-sided-face-coverings

• Upvote 3

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-most-omicron-cases-are-mild-and-theres-no-evidence-to-suggest-vaccines-may-be-less-effective-against-the-variant-says-who-12483729

COVID-19: Most Omicron cases are 'mild' and there's no evidence to suggest vaccines may be less effective against the variant, says WHO official

The World Health Organisation has also urged countries to apply "an evidence-informed and risk-based approach" to travel measures, saying blanket bans will not prevent the spread of the new Omicron COVID variant.

5 hours ago, Pureblood said:

On your second point, I don't think these incidents have been rigourously investigated by regulatory agencies or health authorities in order to rule out the vaccine as a cause. 

The individual incidents will certainly have been investigated to establish the cause. If there were a statistically significant increase (there's no evidence of that) then that would need to be investigated. Of course, any investigation would have to start with an open mind, rather than focusing on the vaccination status of the individuals.

Unless and until the data has been collated and examined, it's fucking stupid to speculate wildly about what the cause is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-coronavirus-sport-idUSL1N2SK160

1 minute ago, Pureblood said:

It's a reasonable hypothesis, not wild speculation.    

Is it, though?

I mean, really... is it?

For that hypothesis to be reasonable, you would first have to establish

1. Has there been a statistically significant increase in the number of athletes collapsing?

2. What are the causes of their collapses (seizure, aneurysm, myocardial infarction, ruptured aorta, or what?)

3. What factors - genetic, physiological, lifestyle, environmental, etc. - do the collapsed athletes have more in common with each other than with other (healthy) athletes?

If you can answer those questions, you might find some reasonable hypotheses, which might be worthy of further investigation.

If you jump straight to "it was the vaccines", that's just speculative bullshit.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

image.png

So we do know it's fast-spreading, but don't know for sure yet whether it's going to be mild or serious. Given all the shit decisions made by governments around the world, surely erring on the side of caution for now is the way to go? 

Indeed. For all the howls of anguish over the current measures, they are going to be reviewed after three weeks, by which time we should have a clearer idea about this.

1 hour ago, Geoff Woade said:

I’m spewing over the back to self isolating if you’ve been in contact even after getting the jabs. Whether it’s right or not is a different question but it’s absolutely gutting and going to feel like back to square one. Feel proper cheated

My kids school will be buzzing their tits with excitement that it’ll be an excuse to get the kids sent home again every other week. It was 8 or 9 times in the last school year that they had to isolate as contacts of someone in the class last year so we’ve probably got that to look forward to again.

Probably come across like a moaning cunt there but I’m fucking sick of it. 
I don’t even know what the point of posting that was but I just wanted a rant.

Lemon juice on Innova LFT’s gives a ‘positive’ if your kids want more time off?

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

How is it possible for you to strap half a sack over your face and not have it impair your breathing?

I've seen photos of some of you and half of you look like Buster Bloodvessel so it is inconceivable to me that you can behave as if it's not there.

I'm sitting here with it on with my face getting hot and scratchy and wet and my breathing getting faster. What fucking superpower do you all have that stops this from happening to you?

Phwoar!

• Upvote 3

I think, for the most part, the restrictions and lockdowns have been proportionate to the issue, but I don't see how you can justify mandatory jabs as Der Leyen is talking about. I've had both jabs and will get the booster later in the month, but when you start locking only the unvaccinated down(Austria) or fining people for not getting it(Greece), you're no longer on safe footing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I think, for the most part, the restrictions and lockdowns have been proportionate to the issue, but I don't see how you can justify mandatory jabs as Der Leyen is talking about. I've had both jabs and will get the booster later in the month, but when you start locking only the unvaccinated down(Austria) or fining people for not getting it(Greece), you're no longer on safe footing.

Excellent read.

14 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I'm not intrinsically for mandates but conspiracy theories aside, what that says is some governments don't think normalcy can ever return without pretty much everyone being vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The individual incidents will certainly have been investigated to establish the cause. If there were a statistically significant increase (there's no evidence of that) then that would need to be investigated. Of course, any investigation would have to start with an open mind, rather than focusing on the vaccination status of the individuals.

Unless and until the data has been collated and examined, it's fucking stupid to speculate wildly about what the cause is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-coronavirus-sport-idUSL1N2SK160

Does apply that to all topics on here or just this one?