Quantcast
Other Football - 2019/20 - Page 76 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Captain Turdseye

Other Football - 2019/20

Recommended Posts

Liverpool throw-ins coach Thomas Gronnemark says Andy Gray’s reaction to his new job was “unprofessional”.

 

Gronnemark was appointed by Liverpool in the summer of 2018 and he admitted at the time his job was the “weirdest in the world”.

 

The news was mocked by pundit Gray, who told beIN Sports: “I know how you can take advantage of a situation, throw it to one of your own players.

 

“That would be number one. Number two, keep hold of the ball. Maybe we are going to see Andy Robertson do a headstand and take it.

 

“Here is a lesson. Pick the ball up, take it behind your head, throw it to a teammate and keep both feet on the ground.


“I have got a new one. I want to be the first kick-off coach.”

 

But rather than be angry about Gray’s comments, Gronnemark says he “actually felt a little bit sorry for Andy Gray”.

 

“It didn’t bother me, I actually felt a little bit sorry for Andy Gray,” Gronnemark told The Athletic.

 

“If a guy looks at something new and doesn’t understand it, you have two choices. Either laugh at it or try to find out more about it.

 

“I just wish he’d been a bit more curious and asked why would a world-class coach like Jurgen Klopp invite him? It would have made a good feature on their show.

 

“Instead it was a bit like they were talking in the pub after drinking 10 pints. I think it was unprofessional. Some people hoped I’d be angry but I wasn’t. The internet answered for me with the reaction he got.

 

“I can laugh at the fact I’m a throw-ins coach. It’s a funny job, I know that.”

 

Gronnemark, who has been working with teams since 2004, says there are 25-30 technical aspects to a long throw and has revealed his contract was extended after a six-month probation period and he now has a deal until the end of this season.

 

Gronnemark  added: “Sometimes I’ll stop and look at the players in front of me and think: ‘Oh, this is crazy.’ I’m working at a gigantic club who won the Champions League.

 

“Initially, I had a contract for the first half of last season then it was extended for the second half and now I have one for the full season.

 

“I don’t think many people are laughing now. I think most people in football look at it and say: ‘Okay, there must be something in it.’”

 

It seems Klopp is certainly a fan of the Danish coach and Joe Gomez’s throw which aided Jesse Lingard’s equaliser as England beat Croatia 2-1 in November last year was proof that he is making a difference.

 

“Gomez’s throw-in against Croatia showed it is a dangerous weapon for Liverpool and England,” Gronnemark told BBC Sport at the time. “I think it won’t be used very often, but the opponents have to think twice before they put the ball out of play.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/09/2019 at 11:41, Pistonbroke said:

 

I'd like NI to win, i just can't see it though after what happened last night. NI also have to play the Dutch twice soon, that will probably leave both themselves and Germany in the qualifying spots. 

On Löw. I honestly think the powers that be and a lot of fans were hoping he'd just stand down after the last WC, but his ego combined with the fact the Bayern gang (mainly that wanker Beckenbauer) love him. Löw has lost the plot since the spat with certain players with Turkish ancestry

Last night at the final whistle, Emre Can made a beeline for the changing rooms at the full time whistle. A member of the German staff and Low had a good ten second conversation with him, including physically barring him (as in standing in his way and putting hands on him to turn him around) from going on. He was sent to applaud the away support with the rest of the team / squad. 

12 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Germany are actually quite rubbish. NI could’ve easily been two goals up.

We gave them a game. 2-0 flattered them perhaps a little. We possibly had the three clearest chances of the match. Oh for a goalscorer.

 

The German back four are a bit ordinary and Neuer is as ballsy/mad with the ball at his feet as he ever was. Don't think they're winning the Euros with that squad to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

 

We gave them a game. 2-0 flattered them perhaps a little. We possibly had the three clearest chances of the match. Oh for a goalscorer.

 

 

 

Not sure about that mate. Germany dominated the game and wasted a shit load of clear chances themselves. NI were plucky and had a few good chances but the scoreline didn't flatter Germany at all. They had nearly 70% of the possession and had 21 shots (8 on target) to 4 (1 on target). I agree they won't be winning anything with that squad and a manager who most believe should have stepped aside. It might have been interesting to see what might have happend if NI had taken the lead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

 

Not sure about that mate. Germany dominated the game and wasted a shit load of clear chances themselves. NI were plucky and had a few good chances but the scoreline didn't flatter Germany at all. They had nearly 70% of the possession and had 21 shots (8 on target) to 4 (1 on target). I agree they won't be winning anything with that squad and a manager who most believe should have stepped aside. It might have been interesting to see what might have happend if NI had taken the lead. 

I never admitted to being unbiased! Yeah, they probably deserved the win, just not sure they deserved it by two. Next up the Dutch... away. Make or break time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mcfaggen said:

I never admitted to being unbiased! Yeah, they probably deserved the win, just not sure they deserved it by two. Next up the Dutch... away. Make or break time. 

 

If chances were taken by both sides it could have ended up 7-3 to the Germans mate. Like I said, NI were plucky but the scoreline didn't flatter Germany at all imo. 

Holland are a far tougher prospect than Germany mate, best of luck. You got off to a great start due to playing the weakest two sides in the group twice, but you now have to play Holland home and away and the Germans away, tough ask. 

What I do find pathetic is that Scotland can get through the back door to qualify (although I doubt they will) due to the fact they won their UEFA nations group C and therefore go into some play off with other group winners should they not qualify as of right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

 

If chances were taken by both sides it could have ended up 7-3 to the Germans mate. Like I said, NI were plucky but the scoreline didn't flatter Germany at all imo. 

Holland are a far tougher prospect than Germany mate, best of luck. You got off to a great start due to playing the weakest two sides in the group twice, but you now have to play Holland home and away and the Germans away, tough ask. 

What I do find pathetic is that Scotland can get through the back door to qualify (although I doubt they will) due to the fact they won their UEFA nations group C and therefore go into some play off with other group winners should they not qualify as of right. 

Fair enough. 

 

Yes, not expecting much against the Dutch, particularly away. Maybe do a shut up shop job out there, but at the least we'll make them work for it. 

 

We can still qualify through the play offs, so not slagging the process off too much yet! It's obviously crazy all the same. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mcfaggen said:

Fair enough. 

 

Yes, not expecting much against the Dutch, particularly away. Maybe do a shut up shop job out there, but at the least we'll make them work for it. 

 

We can still qualify through the play offs, so not slagging the process off too much yet! It's obviously crazy all the same. 

 

I hope you qualify somehow, the more home nations the better for me. Rep Ireland are looking good for qualification and the Welsh are still in with a chance, and as I said above, the Scots have a chance through the back door. Scotland are in a mess at the moment though, I doubt they'll qualify. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Germany were the better team by a fair distance, I thought, certainly in the second half. Could've had a penalty too I thought for the second handball shout, though who knows what the rule is.

 

NI can't really afford to miss a couple of good chances against teams like Germany. If they'd gone 1-0 up it might have been a different story. 

 

Hard to see us getting any points from the two away games. Might have half a sniff at home to Holland, but obviously will be another difficult game. 

 

It's just unfortunate that Holland have been so shit recently that they were a second tier team but in this campaign they're looking like a side again, making the draw very tough. Especially when you see some of the other groups. NI tend to punch above their weight in competitive home games but they're in slightly too far above their weight in this group unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Germany 20 attempts (8 on target) with 69% possession to NI 4 attempts and 1 on target, but the result flattered Germany. 

 

tenor.gif?itemid=13633328

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahaha fucking hell 40 seconds. Told you, they will thrive in that shithole. 

 

Kean is fucking shite. 

Never thought you was from Portsmouth , Southampton is not bad as towns go but a not much happening type of town, much like Pompey and other surrounding towns but met some good lads from both. 

A bit weird all that hating each other shit , I’ve heard various reasons but it’s of no concern to me. I suppose that kind of bollocks goes on everywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

3? 

Sorry i was looking at BBC site and they had a graphic of a team with TAA, Gomez and Henderson on it.

 

I've checked it again and it was a graphic of what people had voted for.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Never thought you was from Portsmouth , Southampton is not bad as towns go but a not much happening type of town, much like Pompey and other surrounding towns but met some good lads from both. 

A bit weird all that hating each other shit , I’ve heard various reasons but it’s of no concern to me. I suppose that kind of bollocks goes on everywhere. 

I lived in Pompey for 14 years (Well Southsea which as you probably know is nicer than actual Pompey town centre). southampton is decent for shopping (West Quay) but the rest is a fucking toilet. 

 

They hate each other because of the dockyard strikes years ago. When I say hate I mean fucking hate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vintage own goal by Kosovo.

 

Kosovo moaning because play wasn't stopped after they had an injured player who was injured off the field, then went back onto the field to collapse in a heap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I lived in Pompey for 14 years (Well Southsea which as you probably know is nicer than actual Pompey town centre). southampton is decent for shopping (West Quay) but the rest is a fucking toilet. 

 

They hate each other because of the dockyard strikes years ago. When I say hate I mean fucking hate. 

 

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I lived in Pompey for 14 years (Well Southsea which as you probably know is nicer than actual Pompey town centre). southampton is decent for shopping (West Quay) but the rest is a fucking toilet. 

 

They hate each other because of the dockyard strikes years ago. When I say hate I mean fucking hate. 

I’ve lived here for 30 years apart from 88/ 93 when back home working but now I live a 5 min walk to West Quay , worked on that and the block of flats behind Gun Wharf, which is quite nice and away from the shithole surrounding areas but all towns have them. It’s just fuckin’ boring

Mind you Pompey Dockyard did my head in in and out of those ships with scaffolding and the dry dock, used to have a few in the pub opposite bus station and landlady used to put me up if I got to bevvied , Lady Something? 

Worked on both grounds too , but not as good as working on Anfield , the old light gantry Kemlyn Rd , by the way my local had a police warning of Pompey lads coming for the game tonight, so stayed in. 

One day I’ll get back home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×