You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A sugar-free lifestyle - is it possible?

Oh Buoy

It's doable but it's no fun. Just base your diet around as many whole foods as possible and cut out fizzy drinks/etc.

From a very young age we are being fed sugar, so you're addicted before you can even speak in most cases.

• Upvote 1

On 05/04/2019 at 16:50, ZonkoVille77 said:

Piss easy to do. I still love the odd biscuit but nowadays I opt for grapes and raisins when I need a snack. 

Err hello have you ever heard of fruit sugar? Those are absolutely rammed up Mook's arsehole with fruit sugar

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Err hello have you ever heard of fruit sugar? Those are absolutely rammed up Mook's arsehole with fruit sugar

But they are natural sugars and at least have the benefit of good fibre. Don't get any of that from a biscuit. 

• Upvote 1

Depends what you want to do. The whole point of the Atkins and other low carb diets is to reduce your sugar/ carb intake to a minimum so your body burns fat for fuel.

If you're disciplined enough, they can be very effective and certainly doable, but only in the sort term- maybe a year or two at best. The huge problem is what you do when you inevitably get bored/ reach your goal. As soon as you start 're-introducing' carbs and sugar back into your diet, you're going to face far worse maintenance problems than you originally did- there's no reward in terms of shedding weight.

Not eating like a cunt, exercising as much as you can and above all, being sensible is the target. Completely eliminating sugars isn't part of that.

• Upvote 1

On 06/04/2019 at 02:14, Spring said:

Anyone taken steps to reduce their sugar consumption? Seems like everything has sugar in it.

binning sugar from tea and coffee was a massive step for me, did it about 5 years ago, took a few weeks, but made a hell of a difference.

went mainly sugar free for a while, but my kidneys being fucked rules out so much food that i now smash through a couple of packs of biscuits a week, where i used to eat nuts or other "healthier" shit, i can no longer eat spuds, potatoes, nuts, chocolate ands dairy products have to be limited.

but my weight is still pretty stable at 82-84kg, as i make sure i'm out on the bike for ~20km every day, head the gym 3 times a week, i limit alcohol in take (which the body processes into sugars?) to a couple of pints, and a couple of shorts - no more than twice a week.

post transplant, i will cut down the sugary shit again, as my diet options opens back up.

• Upvote 1

On 05/04/2019 at 11:14, Spring said:

Anyone taken steps to reduce their sugar consumption? Seems like everything has sugar in it.

It's pretty easy; if you avoid processed foods.  I found after not very long you get a much better appreciation for natural sugars and wouldn't want to go back to the industrial food items whose taste is dull and flat by comparison.

11 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

binning sugar from tea and coffee was a massive step for me, did it about 5 years ago, took a few weeks, but made a hell of a difference.

went mainly sugar free for a while, but my kidneys being fucked rules out so much food that i now smash through a couple of packs of biscuits a week, where i used to eat nuts or other "healthier" shit, i can no longer eat spuds, potatoes, nuts, chocolate ands dairy products have to be limited.

but my weight is still pretty stable at 82-84kg, as i make sure i'm out on the bike for ~20km every day, head the gym 3 times a week, i limit alcohol in take (which the body processes into sugars?) to a couple of pints, and a couple of shorts - no more than twice a week.

post transplant, i will cut down the sugary shit again, as my diet options opens back up.

Badly need to fuck off sugar in tea but finding it near impossible. 3 spoonfuls a cup.

I have a weird diabetes which comes and goes based on medication. When it was present before I just fucked off tea altogether, I’d sooner go without than have it with no sugar.  

I get my tastebuds will acclimatise and eat a pretty decent diet overall, but sugar addiction is stronger than beak.

Did you just drop it by half a spoonful a week or something? 

33 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Badly need to fuck off sugar in tea but finding it near impossible. 3 spoonfuls a cup.

I have a weird diabetes which comes and goes based on medication. When it was present before I just fucked off tea altogether, I’d sooner go without than have it with no sugar.  

I get my tastebuds will acclimatise and eat a pretty decent diet overall, but sugar addiction is stronger than beak.

I used to have sugar in tea and coffee but I just went cold turkey and got used to it after a week or so. I have one sugar in tea now if I'm hungover on the rare occasion.

49 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Nah I switched to honey for a few months, then just fucked it right off.

spoon of honey did seem sweeter than the same amount of granulate sugar, but it got to be a pain in the arse looking for a jar of honey when going out for brekky.

these days though other than the first one Of the day, my brew is tea with oat milk which has a certain sweetness, but I’m pretty sure is in fact gruel.

most people reckon my tea is fucking horrible, as I stew the bastard in a big cup for at least 5 minutes, but give it a hefty glug of milk. Probably brings the sweetness up a bit