You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I think it'll be a bit more than that. I fully expect:

- Keita (obvious but worth mentioning as he's a big upgrade)

- a big-money goalkeeper

- a big-money attacking midfielder

- a versatile wide attacker (maybe not huge money on this one, 20-30m)

- maybe another youngish defender or defensive midfielder to round out the squad

- a big-money goalkeeper

- maybe another youngish defender or defensive midfielder to round out the squad

Hope so but I really don't think the GK will happen if Karius is halways decent from here in. Could see a decent backup to replace Mignolet.

Probably best we can expect

Hold onto Salah

Proper replacement for Coutinho

Better back up for Firmino

I really do not understand this constant negativity. Honestly I do not.

- a big-money goalkeeper

If Karius retains the shirt without gaffes I do not think a big money keeper will be coming in. I would see either Ward promoted to the back up or a new back up brought in.

If Karius retains the shirt without gaffes I do not think a big money keeper will be coming in. I would see either Ward promoted to the back up or a new back up brought in.

That better not be case. While I obviously hope Karius does well till the end of the season (we will need him to if we are to get top four), we better be getting a quality first-choice keeper irrespective of his performances. 

That would be exactly the same fuck-up we did last season by not getting a new keeper in the summer because of Mignolet late run of form at the end of the last season. If we want to have any hope of ever beating City, the mancs or Chelsea to the title, we have to aim much much higher than simply being satisfied with a keeper that doesn't make any gaffes. We need a keeper that can actually earn us points by pulling out some worldies, just like De Gea, Courtois and Ederson do.

Alisson

Ndidi

Keita

Pulisic

Flavour of the month young forward from the world cup.

Is this your wish list or what you think we will buy? Because we've only bought one player for over £40m in our whole history and you have us buying 4 in one window.

If we're just semi-realistically dreaming I'd like:

Alisson

Rabiot

Gimenez

Fekir

Sessegnon

but that would probably cost around £190m (not even counting Keita) which even with the Coutinho money is never going to happen.

That better not be case. While I obviously hope Karius does well till the end of the season (we will need him to if we are to get top four), we better be getting a quality first-choice keeper irrespective of his performances. 

That would be exactly the same fuck-up we did last season by not getting a new keeper in the summer because of Mignolet late run of form at the end of the last season. If we want to have any hope of ever beating City, the mancs or Chelsea to the title, we have to aim much much higher than simply being satisfied with a keeper that doesn't make any gaffes. We need a keeper that can actually earn us points by pulling out some worldies, just like De Gea, Courtois and Ederson do.

I think Klopp would be fine with Karius if he has a decent run in. He brought him here and Klopp likes to show faith in his players. I do think we'll get a replacement for Simon though.

Is this your wish list or what you think we will buy? Because we've only bought one player for over £40m in our whole history and you have us buying 4 in one window.

If we're just semi-realistically dreaming I'd like:

Alisson

Rabiot

Gimenez

Fekir

Sessegnon

but that would probably cost around £190m (not even counting Keita) which even with the Coutinho money is never going to happen.

We bought two over 40m this summer, and Jan window.  We also picked up one for 37m, and one for 34m in the summer.

4 over 40 doesn't seem unrealistic if we actually try to spend money without selling.

We bought two over 40m this summer, and Jan window.  We also picked up one for 37m, and one for 34m in the summer.

4 over 40 doesn't seem unrealistic if we actually try to spend money without selling.

We sold our best player halfway through the season, Who in their right mind does that with CL to play and fighting for top 4,  Its not as though Barca need him for their run in and he cant play in the CL for them. Whatever we have spent needs to be viewed alongside the decision to let Coutinho go before the summer

Impossible to say what will happen, but here’s a guess:

Keita

Already coming. Should give us more oomph through the middle, taking people on, passing forward, pressing and breaking up play.

Cheap goalkeeper to replace Mignolet as a back up

Karius will keep his good form going and Klopp will reward this by establishing him as the long term number one. If he doesn’t I would be very happy with Allison. Even if Karius keeps doing well I’d rather Allison as he looks the business and you always want the best you can get. But I think Jurgen will work with the one he signed already, especially since he’s showing improvement.

Max Meyer

On a Bosman. Good range of passing, making plenty of tackles too in his new found position at the base of the midfield. Versatile and can play in other positions too.

Pulisic/Bailey

Our big money signing (more than we are paying for Keita). We tried early on in Klopp’s reign but Dortmund said no. Good player who helps us now. American marketing side of things a real bonus on the finances too. Modern football! As a Brit living over here I’m sick of seeing Liverpool well down the pecking order in any football related advertising or buzz. Pulisic could change all that. We sign players first and foremost based on what they can do on the pitch, and he’s got that. The commercial possibilities are a secondary consideration, but very much in play.

IF Man Utd or someone else beats us to the deal, I’m guessing the Jamaican lad Bailey will be the back up. He’s bursting onto the scene this year and could have a very big future.

• Upvote 1

Impossible to say what will happen, but here’s a guess:

Keita

Already coming. Should give us more oomph through the middle, taking people on, passing forward, pressing and breaking up play.

Cheap goalkeeper to replace Mignolet as a back up

Karius will keep his good form going and Klopp will reward this by establishing him as the long term number one. If he doesn’t I would be very happy with Allison. Even if Karius keeps doing well I’d rather Allison as he looks the business and you always want the best you can get. But I think Jurgen will work with the one he signed already, especially since he’s showing improvement.

Max Meyer

On a Bosman. Good range of passing, making plenty of tackles too in his new found position at the base of the midfield. Versatile and can play in other positions too.

Pulisic/Bailey

Our big money signing (more than we are paying for Keita). We tried early on in Klopp’s reign but Dortmund said no. Good player who helps us now. American marketing side of things a real bonus on the finances too. Modern football! As a Brit living over here I’m sick of seeing Liverpool well down the pecking order in any football related advertising or buzz. Pulisic could change all that. We sign players first and foremost based on what they can do on the pitch, and he’s got that. The commercial possibilities are a secondary consideration, but very much in play.

IF Man Utd or someone else beats us to the deal, I’m guessing the Jamaican lad Bailey will be the back up. He’s bursting onto the scene this year and could have a very big future.

Agree with this. Would be a decent window.

I think player development is high on Klopp’s agenda. Most top clubs seem to have it as a much lower priority.

I expect TAA, Gomez and Robertson to feature next season. I expect Woodburn to start making more of a breakthrough too. Then there are other players who will be here making a contribution, like Moreno and Karius, and while not babies when signed, they represent Klopp’s patience on working with players even when the majority of fans would discard.

Ultimately it will be both/and for us. Young players we are bringing through plus cash being splashed where we need it.

Why is it always seen as the only way to improve as a unit is to spend. Of course the squad needs constant review but if buying was the only way to improve we may as well have a transfer committee and Sammy Lee as coach.

Player and youth development should have as much focus as transfers.

Correct but many want or demand an instant fix. Since when did it matter what we paid in transfer fees.Lots of people go on about net spend this net spend that. If the manager has an eye for a bargain and make a player better I am all for it.

Karius starting to string together a few semi competent performances is so bitter sweet isn't it? On the one hand it bodes well for the rest of this season but the thought of yet another season without a top class keeper is extremely annoying. Must be getting on a decade of mediocrity there now taking into account Reina's slump at the end.