You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A), 8pm, 16/09/16, Friday Night Lights

Trumo

First of all, well worked goal by Lovren and a brilliant goal from Henderson - that was an absolute peach, right in the postage stamp as they say.

In the first half we were dominant and the main reason for that in my view was that we took advantage of Matic and Kante not playing as a pairing. Kante was holding and Matic was being asked to contibute a little further forward. That allowed us to squeeze the space between their midfield and attack and it didn't allow their ball-players any time on the ball. Oscar and Matic kept taking up the same spaces too.

The other thing we did was allow Kante all the time and space he wanted while the likes of Wijnaldum, Lallana and Mane cut off the passing options. All of a sudden, they required Kante to be their playmaker or risk Luiz stepping out too far. They were vulnerable to the counter so couldn't leave themselves too exposed.

In the second half, Chelsea switched it to a central pairing while we dropped deeper. It meant they had much more of the possession and territory while we were leaving Sturridge (and then Origi) a little isolated. We aren't good enough to shut up shop but I can understand Klopp attempting to give it a try. After all, we'll have to figure out how to do it at some point. We can't rely on only getting results by blitzing teams.

The goal we conceded was purely down to a lack of concentration at the pivotal moment. Both Lallana and Henderson failed to track the runner and spot the return pass. Lallana realised it sooner than the captain but he couldn't cut out the danger in time. It was avoidable but nowhere near the horrendous mistake of the weekend.

For the last half hour it was largely a backs-to-the-wall job and we did it well. Costa might have scored once but other than another chance soon afterwards which he hit straight at Mignolet, the centre backs dealt with him well.

Aside from Ivanovic's needless snide little stamp on Lallana, Chelsea didn't go the Shitcoat-patented shithouse route in this game. It was almost like when they had Ancelotti in charge - still a bunch of cunts who somehow didn't resort to shithousing their way through games. Just goes to show how much influence the Portuguese gobshite had on such an approach.

• Upvote 2

I like Costa. He's a quality striker and good entertainment. Shame we didn't get him a few years back.

Solid victory tonight. Our relative lack of games could be a huge boost this season. A 2013/14 style run isn't out of the question, though Manchester City look even stronger than then.

I like Costa. He's a quality striker and good entertainment. Shame we didn't get him a few years back.

Solid victory tonight. Our relative lack of games could be a huge boost this season. A 2013/14 style run isn't out of the question, though Manchester City look even stronger than then.

Bookies have us 3rd favourites for the league behind the 2 Mancs

Bookies have us 3rd favourites for the league behind the 2 Mancs

I wouldn't get that carried away just yet. We still have plenty of players who are horrible when they're not on top of their game. I'll wait until we've played 13 games before I start speculating about where we might finish.

For now, I'm just enjoying beating the Rentboys.

• Upvote 2

The floodlights were dimmed at Stamford Bridge shortly before kick-off with blue spotlights and dry ice used in a lame attempt to crank up the atmosphere.

That worked a treat.

They've been doing that shit before evening games for a while now. When we played them in the League Cup semi (Costa going round stamping on our players without getting a card), they did it then too. I don't know why the teams walk right across the pitch before lining up instead of lining up in front of the stand they just walked out of, like everywhere else.