You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cushiest Job In Football

Section_31

I wouldn't really call that cushy, that's more just being able to get a job when you want. Cushy is getting paid to do absolutely nothing in my opinion. These managers don't just turn up to work, put their feet on the table and read Twitter for 8 hours a day. 

The arrangement absolutely is cushy. I've no doubt they do some hard work, but there is a distinct lack of pressure certainly in comparison to other jobs at the top level of sport (or any other sector).

I also wonder what it is they work hard on. It can't be recruitment. Most of these clubs are just recycling Premier League rejects, or buying whoever is top of the scoring charts in the Championship. It can't be tactics. Most of these managers have the tactical knowledge and tactical flexibility of Mike Bassett. 

Working on set pieces in training and perfecting their meaningless cliches for the press I guess.

Agree with Robbie here. I don't think any manager job can be described as cushy. Being paid to watch the Mauritius under 15s while on a jolly as a Uefa technical observer probably is though.

Being an Ambassador is probably up there. Look at Gary Mac. Was first team coach for us then gets an ambassadorial and he's been in Australia twice since he lost his job.

Always thought Balague has a cushy little gig on Sky Sports. Reckon he just wandered into their offices Yozzer Hughes style the day they got the rights ("Giz a job. I can do that. I'm from Spain.") and they just went along with it because, for a start, he was willing to talk about Spanish football, probably wasn't asking for a wedge to do it and nobody over here was arsed about the league back then beyond Barca and Real.

Now, he's pretty much part of the furniture, a mascot for their coverage, and seems such a nice, inoffensive fella that nobody is arsed when he gets his ITK shouts totally wrong (McAllister in as LFC manager until the end of the season, then Roger Schmidt in the summer being a case in point), and instead just plugs his books on the telly and bangs on about being best mates with Leo and Pep. I wouldn't even be surprised as well if he gets a free lunch out of the tapas they have as props in their studio when they've cut to an ad break or are showing the game.

Yeah, I reckon he's got it pretty sound, him.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen the whole thread, but Gordon Taylor is looking a bit dodgy to me. Back in the day, when he was earning say, £500k a year, I thought it was a lot, but then I thought, "Why shouldn't this decent man benefit from the riches in the game, even if he is a glorified shop steward?"

Now the whole thing looks very fishy to me. Are there term limits for Gordon Taylor's job? And are there free and fair elections to generate and approve other suitable candidates? He's been doing this job for decades, and the salary is well north of £3M a year, and there appears to be no real accountability and no real mechanism to freshen the whole thing up.

I saw a video clip of Jeff Astles wife and daughter interviewing Taylor, and he was rubbish beyond belief. They are grieving and they want answers. Jeff Astle died from a brain injury that is consistent with repeated blunt force trauma, likely caused by heading a heavy ball all those years. Taylor couldn't offer them anything. This issue needs some leadership and joined up thinking, and likely a fund setting up - with all the main bodies contributing to the fund - to provide some sort of recompense for former players from yesteryear. It's one issue, but the PFA could show leadership and intent and effort, but Taylor is doing nothing, as far as I can tell.

The idea of having a shop steward in the game is anachronistic. It doesn't make any sense for the multi-millionaire Premier League stars, but if the remit widens to representing the lower levels, and former players, then it makes all kinds of sense at that point. There's a lot of money in the game, and more of it should be redistributed to those who have made it what it is. Thats the fight a shop steward should be in. I'm not sure what Taylor does.

Patrick Barclay. Managed to spout utter shit for years and get paid for it. Doing it in a slightly intelligent accent and pretending to have connections in high places seems to fool people into thinking he knows what he is on about.

Until Rasher didn't just push him over the edge - he sent him over the edge in an F1 car with no brakes.