You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

jimmy hill

littletedwest

I grew up with him as a kid watching MOTD and he used to bug the crap out me

When I got older and found our what he had done in the game he earned my respect.

We could do with few Jimmy Hills now to bring some sanity to the game instead of the Fletch and Sav gobshite generation 

• Upvote 1

Was partly responsible for all seater stadia and ergo stupid prices people now have to pay.

How's that then? The Taylor report was responsible for that, something that every Liverpool supporter was in full agreement with. Just because he turned Highfield Rd to all seater years previously before turning it back again in 84 (?) doesn't mean he was responsible. The prices today are a combination of The Taylor report,The Premier League starting, Sky and football becoming what it is now, with all the glitz/glamour, 24 hour news, transfer dealine countdowns. Modern football is shit.

Did well for himself and his fellow footballers. If I had been a member of the PFA at the time of the abolition of the maximum wage I would have been delighted with Cliff Lloyd.

Yet I still hear 'Good Old Arsenal', Coventry fans singing the 'Eton Boating Song' melody and see Hill in his fucking St George dickie bow. His Little England mentality later manifested into a pretty much UKIP political stance. He was also a complete fucking irritant when giving his views on a game.

He declared Dalglish to be a 'diver', winning penalties by cheating. After Keegan scored a beautiful lobbed goal against Leicester in the 1974 FA Cup semi final reply Hill declared that Shilton's white top allowed the Liverpool player to spot the goalie off his line. In the 1992 final against Sunderland an assault on McManaman in the penalty area was excused by Hill because the tackling player's leg was "in line with the ball". The latter spout of shite had Alan Hansen. Hill's co-pundit on the day, close to violence.

Just a few instances of the utter drivel Hill used to trot out on a weekly basis, confirming his position as the foremost 'voice of football'......at the BBC.

I thought he was a complete arse when it came to his views on the game.I furthered my loathing of Hill by buying his weekly magazine, 'Jimmy Hill's Football Weekly', once or twice. Naturally, it was shite but it's brief existence further advanced the image of one of the most shamelessly self promoting cunts the game had known up to that point. An amateur in that field compared to Beckham, yet in his day Hill generated just as much public ridicule.

I know that he championed the three points thing and advocated all sorts of minor rule changes, some of which came about, but the game changers were all at FIFA and not on the telly. The gentrification of the game came with the Sky generation at a time when Hill was consigned to his weekly breakfast show.Then Sky stopped paying for his croissants and Jimmy The Chin faded with his memories.

• Upvote 2

How's that then? The Taylor report was responsible for that, something that every Liverpool supporter was in full agreement with. Just because he turned Highfield Rd to all seater years previously before turning it back again in 84 (?) doesn't mean he was responsible. The prices today are a combination of The Taylor report,The Premier League starting, Sky and football becoming what it is now, with all the glitz/glamour, 24 hour news, transfer dealine countdowns. Modern football is shit.

As Chairman of Coventry he was a vociferous proponent of all seater stadia as Coventry had it themselves and he was constantly using his position as a mouthpiece on MOTD to propose it,despite massive opposition by supporters through knowing that the prices would rise significantly,even in the pre Sky era.

Ok, so he isn't responsible for the twats at Sky poisoning the the game with sky high costs but he always pissed me off about it when he was alive so I'd be a massive hypocrite if I changed my stance now. 

To be truthful,I thought he'd passed away before now anyhow!

I grew up with him as a kid watching MOTD and he used to bug the crap out me

When I got older and found our what he had done in the game he earned my respect.

We could do with few Jimmy Hills now to bring some sanity to the game instead of the Fletch and Sav gobshite generation 

That just about sums it up for me. Someone who clearly loved the game.

Copmare and contrast to someone like Blatter.

Always remember in the early seventies when we played arsenal at Highbury and the linesman got injured(no fourth official then)they put an appeal out over the PA system for anyone in the crowd who was qualified to run the line,and up pops Jimmy hill who was a spectator at the match,who threw a tracksuit on and took over the line.he did talk shit at times but I did quite like the fella.