You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your opinion of Brendan Rodgers?

Paco

What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Brendan Rodgers?

• I despise him
    • even when we were playing great last season, I couldn't stand him
    • he deserves as much credit as anyone for last season
    • he was lucky last season
    • I want him out
    • I hold him responsible for our poor signings this season
    • I have always been embarrassed listening to his interviews
    • he's an excellent manager
    • I love him
    • he gets until at least the end of the season
    • defensively he hasn't a clue
    • last season was down to Suarez
    • I don't mind his chat
    • he overachieved last season
    • he's wasted £100m+ and doesn't deserve another penny
    • he needs backing from the board and money for players in January
    • I trust him to turn it around
    • if we return to playing something close to last seasons football I'll give him another season
    • sack him now, install an interim manager and get simeone, klopp or someone in the summer
    • get rafa now
  2. 2. Should Rodgers be sacked immediately?

That's fair enough, it's pretty much a standard response for any manager in this league, and to say ptherwise is seriously risky. AVB only got canned when he intimated some players weren't of his choosing.

But I'm interested in you gut feeling (let's face it, we'll likely never know for sure) do you think Rodgers gets the final say on all transfers now or has done at any point in the past?

My gut feeling would be that he has to green light them but I wouldn't be prepared to put much on it. I definitely think there's an element of these are the limited options for you to pick from with the way it's done. I think Balotelli is definitely one where it was him or pretty much nothing.

I don't think Rodgers has had a good signing that he's instigated himself. He wanted Ashley Williams, Vorm, Ryan Bertrand, Lallana, Allen, Borini, Lovren. The comitee signings like Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Markovic, Sakho, Moreno etc have been much more successful.

Not sure what that is meant to prove?

I've suspicions you aren't a real doctor too. Murky stuff this.

I thought it was clear enough. When things were going badly, that Pearce article took some of the heat off Rodgers, implying as it did that some of the worst seeming transfers were the work of the committee, not him. Now that they've started to come good it looks as if the transfer committee is not such a bad idea after all.

So the manager says he has the final say so on transfers but others decide that (despite a complete lack of any evidence to the contrary) he's really talking bollocks for whatever reasons?

I think the common sense choice is to believe him not make up your own reasons as to why he might be lying to alleviate responsibility for some of his signings whether good or bad

• Upvote 1

It's very difficult to stop a dynasty once it's in full flow, thats why Moyes's achievement was so special. To take a 26 year dynasty and destroy it in 6 months, that requires a Herculean effort.

You'd need to dismantle all of the old guard that brought about success, then you'd have to bring in staff with a specific type of inferiority complex in mind. You need the manager to be at total odds with the playing style and the mentality of the previous regime. A person that's so dogmatic in doing things "his way". Maybe convince them that a player thats never managed or coached in his life would be the perfect number two.

And hey presto......a dynasty falls and another takes it's place.

A la Souness, circa 1991

I don't think Rodgers has had a good signing that he's instigated himself. He wanted Ashley Williams, Vorm, Ryan Bertrand, Lallana, Allen, Borini, Lovren. The comitee signings like Coutinho, Sturridge, Can, Markovic, Sakho, Moreno etc have been much more successful.

All mid-table Premier League players at premium prices, the majority he's worked with before. 

We need to get away from this shit in the summer and buy properly on real quality who can cut the mustard here.

Rodgers needs to tell the committee what he wants in a player and then the scouts/committee need to go out and find them and get them. Mignolet and Balotelli can't have been what he wanted in a player which is damaging and the likes of Lovren and Lallana for those prices were awful buys suggesting Rodgers' eye for a player isn't great (added to Borini and Allen to a lesser extent). The strategy has to be right.

• Upvote 1

If anyone looks a committee signing it would be Can.

Rodgers flew over to Germany to watch can a few times last season and convinced him to join lfc when he met him over there while Bayern were telling can to wait a year and then join them.He also spoke about having watched Markovic a lot when he signed him.

The terms of manquillos deal seem to indicate the club wasn't sure about him which is why I think he may have been offered to Rodgers, the comments about Balotelli before and after he had signed suggest he was not Rodgers first choice and with Moreno there was a lot of suggestion that Rodgers preferred Bertrand but he could have been one of Rodgers other options as he has spoken positively about him from the start.

• Downvote 1

So the manager says he has the final say so on transfers but others decide that (despite a complete lack of any evidence to the contrary) he's really talking bollocks for whatever reasons?

I think the common sense choice is to believe him not make up your own reasons as to why he might be lying to alleviate responsibility for some of his signings whether good or bad

How would him lying, and saying he was in charge, alleviate responsibility?

It wouldn't. Your point doesn't make sense. It's arse about tit.

Do you believe everything football managers tell you? I hate to break it to you but you know when Rodgers says that he thinks we were outstanding, well, sometimes, he actually doesn't. He's managing the media.

Football is a lie.

• Upvote 2

Rodgers flew over to Germany to watch can a few times last season and convinced him to join lfc when he met him over there while Bayern were telling can to wait a year and then join them.He also spoke about having watched Markovic a lot when he signed him.

The terms of manquillos deal seem to indicate the club wasn't sure about him which is why I think he may have been offered to Rodgers, the comments about Balotelli before and after he had signed suggest he was not Rodgers first choice and with Moreno there was a lot of suggestion that Rodgers preferred Bertrand but he could have been one of Rodgers other options as he has spoken positively about him from the start.

I think the point being made was not that Can was signed exclusively by the committee, and Rodgers had no say. Rather, that Can seems the kind of player the committee would identify and push for. I doubt Rodgers would accept any player he hadn't seen, so going to watch him hardly proves anything.

I agree with Tyler on this one a bit though.

The talk of Rodgers wanting one player and "the committee" forcing him to have another is equally simplistic nonsense.  It's either "Rodgers wanted to sign Ashley Williams and the committee made him sign Coutinho instead.  Thank god for the committee, no more shite British players."  Or "Rodgers wanted to sign a different striker but the committee forced him to sign Balotelli, shady Man City bastards" 

Why must we always shit stir?

Rodgers is on the committee and says he has final say, so I'd imagine he probably well does.  That doesn't mean he's always going to be happy with the direction and prices agreed upon. I'm sure the owners (through Ayre) have set a transfer theme, where they want younger players who are likely to increase in value  and they also set wage limits for players, where Rodgers would prefer to have more control.

But that would be no real difference with how any club operates, whether it's the manager acting as part of the transfer committee or directly to the CEO or Director of Football who is responsible for the playing budget.

The way I tend to think it works is that Rodgers and the committee come up with a raft of names for the various positions that are agreed need filling. But within that there's a framework, the type of which all managers have to work within, like budget, wages and prioritisation, which has a domino effect.

I think perhaps had we gone for Bertrand, we might have got Bony (these sound like player Rodgers wanted) but instead we got Moreno and Balotelli. None would be against the manager's wishes, but there might have been more wiggle room within the framework if Lallana and Lovren weren't brought in.

As it's a collective effort there are few instances where a clear case can be made for a name being the manager's pick over the committee. The only inkling we get is when it's someone Rodgers has worked with before, or perhaps when we overpay which I'd assume the committee wouldn't do as they don't have to work with the player so they'd be happy moving on to other names on the list.

• Upvote 2

The entire scouting network should be sent to Holland and Germany, go scout their leagues for young talents ie Max Meyer, Memphis Depay etc. You'd get far more value for money there than in Serie A or the premier league.

The commitee (not including that cunt Ayre) isn't as half bad as made out, Rodgers is the spanner in the works if anyone.

They would have done a lot better than Lallana and Lovren if they had the 45 mill, I'd take their signings and trust them over Rodgers all fucking day long.

• Upvote 2

I don't think our signings have been that bad, Bar Lovren. Most are good young players with their best years ahead of them.

Missing out on Sanchez was the big blow, a top notch centre half with Sanchez and Sturridge up front and the world would have been our Karl Oyster.

• Upvote 1

When will some of our fans learn ? I blame them shithouse

Podcasts like "the daytrippers" & anfield index podcast. Breeding stupid fans. With their shite. Whatever the result its all shit! Does my head in....too many cnuts in our support.

Rodgers deserves another 18 months at least!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

I don't think our signings have been that bad, Bar Lovren. Most are good young players with their best years ahead of them.

Missing out on Sanchez was the big blow, a top notch centre half with Sanchez and Sturridge up front and the world would have been our Karl Oyster.

Good signings generally maintain or improve your league position though, or if they're all ones for the future then that's a mistake really when we're trying to become a consistent Champions League team. Take those summer signings and try and make anything approaching your money back, good luck.

• Upvote 1

All of the really good signings were Rodgers, and the shit ones were the committee, unless of course you prefer to think the complete opposite. It's up to you really.

i prefer the flexible approach of allocating blame/credit according to form on a week by week basis.

• Upvote 2