You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Islamic Positive Thread

Anny Road

Touched a nerve there.

Nope.

You just showed yourself as the same apologist for apartheid that we all know you are.  It's the Fox-level stupidity of that comment that gets me; you may share the Fox News morality, but please don't pretend to be as thick as them too.

"Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's voice was otherworldly. For 25 years, his mystical songs transfixed millions. He performed qawali, which means wise or philosophical utterance, as nobody else of his generation did. His vocal range, talent for improvisation and sheer intensity were unsurpassed." Alexandra A. Seno

Jeff Buckley cited Khan as a major influence, saying of him "He's my Elvis", and performing the first few minutes of Khan's hit "Yeh Jo Halka Halka Suroor Hai" (including vocals) at live concerts. Many other artists have also cited Khan as an influence, such as Grammy-nominated Pakistani-American Nadia Ali, Peter Gabriel, A.R. Rahman, Sheila Chandra and Alim Qasimov. Author and neuroscientist Sam Harris cited Khan as one of his favorite musicians of all time.

Nope.

You just showed yourself as the same apologist for apartheid that we all know you are.  It's the Fox-level stupidity of that comment that gets me; you may share the Fox News morality, but please don't pretend to be as thick as them too.

Rerading so much into a throwaway comment like that clearly means a nerve has been touched.

Nothing bores me more on this Earth than discussions about Israel, however, so let's get back to those peace-loving Muslims.

Rerading so much into a throwaway comment like that clearly means a nerve has been touched.

Nothing bores me more on this Earth than discussions about Israel, however, so let's get back to those peace-loving Muslims.

Racist prick.

(Forget about it, it's just a throwaway comment.)

Fair enough if that's what you meant but how on earth preceding the Brass Eye bit with "Don't atheists get wound up by daft stuff" is meant to lead me to think you were saying the above is beyond me.

Atheists get wound up by daft shit as well as Muslims, such as episodes of brass eye. Don't blame me for your brain farts Monty, age comes to us all.

Atheists get wound up by daft shit as well as Muslims, such as episodes of brass eye. Don't blame me for your brain farts Monty, age comes to us all.

Have athiests ever killed anyone for not agreeing with them about god?

Have athiests ever killed anyone for not agreeing with them about god?

No, but I'm sure they've killed people for insulting their shoes, calling their bird a slag, farting, or being Jewish. Cunts are cunts, psychopaths are psychopaths, they will each express themselves in their own way, no matter where they live or under what ideology they were raised.

No, but I'm sure they've killed people for insulting their shoes, calling their bird a slag, farting, or being Jewish. Cunts are cunts, psychopaths are psychopaths, they will each express themselves in their own way, no matter where they live or under what ideology they were raised.

Fair point.

I found the bbc survey results the other day quite alarming and have been thinking about this stuff a lot, probably too much.

Weinberg summed it up nicely though...

Fair point.

I found the bbc survey results the other day quite alarming and have been thinking about this stuff a lot, probably too much.

I think the question people in the media should be asking is not just what the views of Muslims are now, but why they've changed.

As I said earlier in the thread Muslims in Britain used to go to great lengths to integrate and be seen as British, traditional garb was rarely, if ever, seen.

Maybe some of it's a backlash to a feeling that they're under siege post 9/11. Maybe if people give you shit for being a Muslim you automatically spend more time with you own, I probably would.

I think the problem when you turn people away from mainstream society and they become introverted, is that the most vocal and powerful elements in those communities tend to become dominant and in some cases can be pretty malevolent, criminal or just aggressive. That seemed to be the case in Northern Ireland before the politics became more mainstream.

• Upvote 2

I think it's strange how we're constantly fed the media driven narrative of there being an increased level of Anti-Semitism across Europe when, if anything, the growing and tangible sense of anti-Islamic sentiment trumps it hands down, but gets nowhere near as much media scrutiny.

Our media and population tends to focus on and amplify wrong doings by those of a certain faith, while not being as morally outraged if the perpetrators of an exact same offence is white, British and doesn't abide by the Quran.

Just look at the BBC child abuse scandals, the systematic abuse in the Catholic Church etc. It provokes a noticeably lower amount of outrage than if a gang of Muslims groom some girls in a Yorkshire town. But, both are equally abhorrent. Whether it's a 9/11, Lee Rigby backlash, I don't really know. But there's definitely hypocrisy in reactions amongst some, dependant on the faith (and, implicitly, the skin colour) of the offenders.

A further example is FGM. A horrific practice. Rightly condemned. But I've just been reading about an orthodox Jewish traditional circumcision procedure, where the child is circumcised then the Jewish holy man heals the wound by sucking the blood from the small child's penis.

Not only is this very weird and a bit child abusey, it's barbaric, and their are instances where herpes has been passed on to the child. Also reportedly caused a death, in one instance.

Now,imagine if the person performing this task had a Quran in his hand and was called Muhammad. It'd be widely reported, and outrage would follow.

But, it hasn't in the real world. Strange.....

I think anti-semitism is primarily driven by Israel's barbarous policy towards the Palestinians.  I think your average Jew in Europe just wants to get on with his life, practice his or her faith etc.

On the flipside, anti-Islam, I would imagine, is being driven by the seemingly ever increasing amount of fanatic Muslims who have no problem living off our liberal states yet secretly plotting to kill the police forces etc whose job it is to protect them and their families.  It would make sense to me that anti-Islam is higher for that reason, not that I condone tarring all of one faith with the same brush.  The reality is, however, that should I see a Jew with a backpack on the underground then I wouldn't feel remotely threatened.  If I saw a Muslim with one, I wouldn't necessarily feel threatened but bad thoughts could cross my mind.

I think it's strange how we're constantly fed the media driven narrative of there being an increased level of Anti-Semitism across Europe when, if anything, the growing and tangible sense of anti-Islamic sentiment trumps it hands down, but gets nowhere near as much media scrutiny.

Our media and population tends to focus on and amplify wrong doings by those of a certain faith, while not being as morally outraged if the perpetrators of an exact same offence is white, British and doesn't abide by the Quran.

Just look at the BBC child abuse scandals, the systematic abuse in the Catholic Church etc. It provokes a noticeably lower amount of outrage than if a gang of Muslims groom some girls in a Yorkshire town. But, both are equally abhorrent. Whether it's a 9/11, Lee Rigby backlash, I don't really know. But there's definitely hypocrisy in reactions amongst some, dependant on the faith (and, implicitly, the skin colour) of the offenders.

A further example is FGM. A horrific practice. Rightly condemned. But I've just been reading about an orthodox Jewish traditional circumcision procedure, where the child is circumcised then the Jewish holy man heals the wound by sucking the blood from the small child's penis.

Not only is this very weird and a bit child abusey, it's barbaric, and their are instances where herpes has been passed on to the child. Also reportedly caused a death, in one instance.

Now,imagine if the person performing this task had a Quran in his hand and was called Muhammad. It'd be widely reported, and outrage would follow.

But, it hasn't in the real world. Strange.....

It has caused outrage in the US, it's gone all the way to the Supreme Court but there's a campaign to stop it. About 3k lads each year suffer it - fucking lunacy.

Not wishing to start a game of 'Religious nutters top trumps' about 300k girls suffer FGM in the US every year and even the best outcome is fucking horrible for the woman concerned. So FGM is more widespread and probably a huge degree more damaging.