You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

Every time I watch him in the attacking half I want somebody to announce over the tannoy that he's playing CB. 'I'd like to inform everybody that Can is playing as centre back. I repeat, centre back'. Scenes.

I remember one if the TAW lads famously saying that when a CB goes rampaging up the pitch the other team tend to react like there's a horse on the pitch.

With Can it's like there's a rhino on the pitch.

• Upvote 4

He is only going to get better and better. Once he develops into the full package - hair gel, designer beard and shampoo sponsorship, then we'll see the real deal. He's just teasing you right now with his magnificence, laughing to himself in Turkish German Creole (and the coconuts), while he reads the game like he's hooked on phonics. He's the dark horse, the Gerkish warrior. He is Can. 

What tune is this sang to?

• Upvote 1

Didn't see what Carragher was meant to have said about him at half time but he got a lot of replies on twitter about it.

Its being completely blown out of proportion. He was correct in were he pointed out mistakes he made and at the end of the game made the comment that he had a very solid second half which he did.

It seems to be a lot of people on twitter for example have an opinion that Can is boss (and i think he is for the record )but once there's any criticism of him they start overreacting and crying like babies. some of the comments at Carra last night on his timeline are embarrassing. 

Its ok to think a player is quality but has made some mistakes there seems to be no grey area when it comes to social media. 

I find the same arguments keep going around with Sakho as well that some people made an opinion of him last season very early and won't move from that opinion regardless of how brilliant he's playing as its more important to be seen as being right.

For the record both Can and Sakho are quality players and I hope they are still with us for the long term, but they fare both young and will make mistakes going forward and its not the end of the world if Carra or somebody on this forum points it out.

• Upvote 3

The crux of Carra's argument was Can looked good against shit opposition but got found out against the very best.

Ironic really as whenever Carra came up against Henry he used to look like his legs were on backwards.

Still it was nice click bait for his employers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Its being completely blown out of proportion. He was correct in were he pointed out mistakes he made and at the end of the game made the comment that he had a very solid second half which he did.

It seems to be a lot of people on twitter for example have an opinion that Can is boss (and i think he is for the record )but once there's any criticism of him they start overreacting and crying like babies. some of the comments at Carra last night on his timeline are embarrassing. 

Its ok to think a player is quality but has made some mistakes there seems to be no grey area when it comes to social media. 

I find the same arguments keep going around with Sakho as well that some people made an opinion of him last season very early and won't move from that opinion regardless of how brilliant he's playing as its more important to be seen as being right.

For the record both Can and Sakho are quality players and I hope they are still with us for the long term, but they fare both young and will make mistakes going forward and its not the end of the world if Carra or somebody on this forum points it out.

The main problem I had with it was that he highlighted him before the game.  He then gave a penalty away which was pretty much his only mistake all game.  At half time it felt like Carragher couldn't wait to leather him to prove himself right.  The only other thing they could find that he had done wrong was a slide tackle where he won the ball and the bit where Hazard beat him for pace and then conveniently ignored the fact Can got back goalside and held him up until we won the ball back.

He had a really good game and we had just completely outplayed the cunts first half and Carragher didn't want to highlight any of that he just went for Can.  It was the classic be critical of your own team and it makes you look objective shite we see from Neville quite a lot.  When you get them talking about anything not Liverpool or United they are both really good.

• Upvote 1

The main problem I had with it was that he highlighted him before the game.  He then gave a penalty away which was pretty much his only mistake all game.  At half time it felt like Carragher couldn't wait to leather him to prove himself right.  The only other thing they could find that he had done wrong was a slide tackle where he won the ball and the bit where Hazard beat him for pace and then conveniently ignored the fact Can got back goalside and held him up until we won the ball back.

He had a really good game and we had just completely outplayed the cunts first half and Carragher didn't want to highlight any of that he just went for Can.  It was the classic be critical of your own team and it makes you look objective shite we see from Neville quite a lot.  When you get them talking about anything not Liverpool or United they are both really good.

Fair enough mate. I felt he was just highlighting the obvious and if any of the other players last night did that i'd expect him to say pretty much the same. 

I just felt the criticism that Carra received in particular on twitter after was OTT. He has a limited enough time at HT to comment on the game in general and he covered the only goal and the mistake that was made. 

Apart from the goal Can was excellent in fact I don't think any of the lads played badly everyone put a shift in and played to a high standard.

I have noticed with Carra he was very critical of Sakho in particular last year but in recent weeks has praised him a lot so I don't think he has a problem changing his mind on a player.

I don't agree with everything he says but in general he's a decent pundit and compared to some of the garbage like merson, quinn, owen, savage, phil neville, I could go on for a while he's one of the better ones.

• Upvote 1

Get a fucking load of that. And he got a 4 in the Mirror ratings. 

I also thought it was a dubious penalty (would we have got that at the Bridge? ), and I love Carra but he's embellishing his argument for the TV. Nothing wrong with Can he is ace.

He looks to be a very good player already. He is playing in an unaccustomed role at the moment and the only issue I've noticed is that when up against a speed merchant, he can be a little slow on the turn and struggle to keep up. There is room for improvement but his current level is a very good base from which to work.

He looks to be a very good player already. He is playing in an unaccustomed role at the moment and the only issue I've noticed is that when up against a speed merchant, he can be a little slow on the turn and struggle to keep up. There is room for improvement but his current level is a very good base from which to work.

He's not got great acceleration but he's got really good pace over distance. Once he starts striding he can match anyone. Loved seeing him just barge through those two Chelsea lads and get dragged down by Oscar tonight. He just looked at and went "yep, let's go boys, it' on...get running and a tussling!"