You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I rate him. wasted at PSG, ace for Napoli and Uruguay, best at CF, better than Bony and Remy,

Many saying they've not seen Cavani play well, and that's fair, but how many club games have you seen outside of CL? He was exceptional for Napoli and scored like goals were going out of fashion. His PSG and Uruguay games don't really count for much as he's asked to play a secondary, workhorse, role to Zlatan at PSG(where he often has to play RW) and Suarez for Uruguay(where's often played RW). Cavani can play wide in a 3, and although he's not brilliant in that role he still does a good job, scores regularly and creates chances. He can play, and excel, in a 2 upfront as he showed at Napoli partnering Lavezzi with Hamsyk in behind. He was arguably the best 9 in the world for about 18 months while at Napoli, and he can play upfront on his own. He's a hardworker, intelligent and a good finisher. Play Cavani central as the 1 or in a 2 and he'll flourish and score goals. He's a really solid fit for us tactically, great on the counter as displayed at Napoli who lived on the counter and works well in a possession based team IF PLAYED CENTRAL. His numbers speak for themselves. 78 goals in 104 Seria A games for Napoli, 26, 23, 29. 104 in 138 in all comps, 33, 33, 38. 3 goals every 4 games. In Seria A, with real defenders. In a team that largely played on the counter. Even last season, 25 in 43 playing RW. He's not Suarez, or even Sturridge, in terms of ability but he works like a dog and scores at a rate very few can match. In the PL? Easy 20. We won't sign him tho.

• Upvote 6

Name me the worlds top players we have attracted here in the last 20 years.

When was the last time we sold the 3rd best player in the world and recouped the 3rd highest transfer fee in.

Now I totally get what they are doing. They are buying players with low risk and potential high resell value. All who are on relative low wages compared to what a  Sanchez or Cavani or say a Di Maria would want . From the outside it looks like a business choice rather than an issue with players not wanting to come here because we are unstable etc. They have made the choice of quantity over quality and the results on the pitch will judge if it was the right call.

But I don't like to be fed your lazy bullshit that players will not come here.  Or the club is considered unstable. As far as I see it Liverpool is the 10th richest club with sponsorships deals everywhere. In a league that is quite attractive to outsiders. If you just said it was their choice to do low risk deals fair enough but you have spun your own version of events.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just to add I am not moaning about the lack of spending. By the end of the window we would have spent anywhere between 100-140 million a shitload of money. That amount is unprecdented ever in our history and nearly every manager is envious of our spend. Just questioning your idea that we can't attract players due to location/success. The bottomline is what happens on the pitch for the next two seasons will show if it was the right choice.

exactly, he's a Dirk Kuyt with Sturridge skills

No, he doesn't have anywhere near Sturridge's skills. Danny has much faster feet. In fact, Cavani is not exactly that good technically, he does miscontrol quite a few passes. I would say he's more of a cross between Kuyt and Javier Hernandez. He does indeed work very hard and possesses very good strength but he also has great off the ball movement like Hernandez. The real reason he gets so many goals is really because of his exceptional movement rather than pure technique.

Overall, I would tend to agree that he's slightly overrated particularly considering the fee and wages he may command, but nevertheless, he's still better than most strikers we could really target. So, I guess for that reason I'm in. One thing for sure, he will get us goals.

Funneee Remy would do...

But they decided to pull out of the deal because of wages and because Borini refused to move.

I would expect a top European striker. But it is much worse than not signing a Top European striker, it looks like that the liars and their shitty local male slut, will NOT sign another striker at all this summer.

Great idea from Pidge. When Shitecat posts don't read it just fucking neg it! Genius. I feel better already.

I rate him. wasted at PSG, ace for Napoli and Uruguay, best at CF, better than Bony and Remy,

Many saying they've not seen Cavani play well, and that's fair, but how many club games have you seen outside of CL? He was exceptional for Napoli and scored like goals were going out of fashion. His PSG and Uruguay games don't really count for much as he's asked to play a secondary, workhorse, role to Zlatan at PSG(where he often has to play RW) and Suarez for Uruguay(where's often played RW). Cavani can play wide in a 3, and although he's not brilliant in that role he still does a good job, scores regularly and creates chances. He can play, and excel, in a 2 upfront as he showed at Napoli partnering Lavezzi with Hamsyk in behind. He was arguably the best 9 in the world for about 18 months while at Napoli, and he can play upfront on his own. He's a hardworker, intelligent and a good finisher. Play Cavani central as the 1 or in a 2 and he'll flourish and score goals. He's a really solid fit for us tactically, great on the counter as displayed at Napoli who lived on the counter and works well in a possession based team IF PLAYED CENTRAL. His numbers speak for themselves. 78 goals in 104 Seria A games for Napoli, 26, 23, 29. 104 in 138 in all comps, 33, 33, 38. 3 goals every 4 games. In Seria A, with real defenders. In a team that largely played on the counter. Even last season, 25 in 43 playing RW. He's not Suarez, or even Sturridge, in terms of ability but he works like a dog and scores at a rate very few can match. In the PL? Easy 20. We won't sign him tho.

Dave Hendrick...?

Fairly random post, but I just read that Lallana "gave away possession due to a poor touch the second most times (91) and was directly dispossessed more times (93) than any other player in the Premier League" last season.

Our Polish friend will be pleased...

Cavani screams expensive failure at me.

He screams success that we can't afford to me, though I'd much rather Falcao.

In any case, Monaco paid 60 millions euros for Falcao. PSG paid something similar for Cavani. Both players are on astronomical wages. We simply aren't signing players like that...

He screams success that we can't afford to me, though I'd much rather Falcao.

In any case, Monaco paid 60 millions euros for Falcao. PSG paid something similar for Cavani. Both players are on astronomical wages. We simply aren't signing players like that...

Yep, agreed.

I think our management sees Lallana and Markovic as the crucial attacking additions to add to what the team had in the wide attacking positions and we'll be targeting a decent back up type, a la Remy, to top up the squad at centre forward.

Unless the hold up in the Moreno deal is because Rodgers wants to put that extra £16 million on to a really good attacker and make do with Enrique backed up by Flanno and Johnson at full back....