You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Glen Johnson get a new contract?

tlw content

You still haven't made a point. Tell me why supporters choosing some of the players we sign would be worse than the waste of funds we see now? 

You dont know whether they would or wouldnt. I dont. But there is a reason why Brendan Rodgers and the other people at the club have been working in football for years and the people on here havent. You're off your head if you think fans can do a better job. It's borderline mental.

You still haven't made a point. Tell me why supporters choosing some of the players we sign would be worse than the waste of funds we see now? 

How's this going to work then? The fans who spend the most have the biggest say? Or the fans in an L4 postcode are the only ones to have a say? And if the fans choose 'some of the players' how are these players identified, by their unpopularity?

And who's going to administer this methodology? Do you think a manager like Benitez would stand for it?

You clearly havent thought this one through have you?

How's this going to work then? The fans who spend the most have the biggest say? Or the fans in an L4 postcode are the only ones to have a say? And if the fans choose 'some of the players' how are these players identified, by their unpopularity?

And who's going to administer this methodology? Do you think a manager like Benitez would stand for it?

You clearly havent thought this one through have you?

Fuck off you patronizing dick head. 

Just reading this one forum out of the many out there should show you there are a lot of fans who know fuck all about judging a player, how many summer signings were wrote off before they hardly got a chance? Remember the famous thread about how long we can carry Sterling or the one a few years ago where most said they wouldn't swap Momo sissoko for any player.

There was a lot against signing sturridge and a lot were against coutinho because there were no impressive YouTube vids.

Your idea would never happen or work, the manager has to choose the players as he is the one who has to work with them and take responsibility for the results.

• Downvote 1

Supporters pay a membership fee. Put in their own money and vote on who we sign. Depends how much is raised, but we could easily get 200/300million if half our fanbase give a quid. It's totally doable. Just requires a change in your serf like mentality for you to realize it's our money. 

Because most of the time we havent got a clue what we're talking about. It's why we're discussing it on the internet.

If we were discussing in a pub, or town hall, or abandoned soviet submarine base would it be different?

Or is your point -

Every single person employed by a football club - 100% knows what they're on about.

Every single person not employed by a football club - Can't possibly have any idea what they're talking about.

Social media decided Ched Evans wasn't going to play for Sheffield Utd or Oldham.. I know it's not the same but it proves in extreme cases the clubs recognised the views if the supporters ( and of course the sponsors). Its not that ridiculous that our views should be considered when extending contracts such as in the case of Johnson. After all we are not for the most part  idiots and can plainly see when a player is past his sell by date  .We have watched the guy for years and know as well as Rodgers what he offers the side. He should not play for us next season even if he leaves on a free and knocks a few million off the clubs balance sheet ( which may well be a consideration in any decision to keep him )

If we were discussing in a pub, or town hall, or abandoned soviet submarine base would it be different?

Or is your point -

Every single person employed by a football club - 100% knows what they're on about.

Every single person not employed by a football club - Can't possibly have any idea what they're talking about.

It wouldnt be different at all. My point is that they're more qualified to do it than we are. Surely you cant disagree with that?  

And thats why quims on the internet should never have a say in picking players.

Are you on drugs?

You have no point. You are still unable to tell me (and the growing number of other frustrated supporters who give the club their money) why we do not have the right to a say in which players our money gets to buy. 

Social media decided Ched Evans wasn't going to play for Sheffield Utd or Oldham.. I know it's not the same but it proves in extreme cases the clubs recognised the views if the supporters ( and of course the sponsors). Its not that ridiculous that our views should be considered when extending contracts such as in the case of Johnson. After all we are not for the most part  idiots and can plainly see when a player is past his sell by date  .We have watched the guy for years and know as well as Rodgers what he offers the side. He should not play for us next season even if he leaves on a free and knocks a few million off the clubs balance sheet ( which may well be a consideration in any decision to keep him )

There you go. 

We can get motivated for a player who doesn't even play for us and we never signed. 

You have no point. You are still unable to tell me (and the growing number of other frustrated supporters who give the club their money) why we do not have the right to a say in which players our money gets to buy. 

I gave you about 5 or 6.

I like the (incorrect) presumption that I dont hand over hard earned by the way. Just shows how utterly incorrect and naive you are.

I'll ask you this though; Do you think we'd attract a manager like Benitez under the crowd funding type scheme you propose? Yes or no.

I gave you about 5 or 6.

I like the (incorrect) presumption that I dont hand over hard earned by the way. Just shows how utterly incorrect and naive you are.

I'll ask you this though; Do you think we'd attract a manager like Benitez under the crowd funding type scheme you propose? Yes or no.

I wasn't assuming you don't hand over your hard earned. This isn't about you, you narcissistic loon. 

I don't actually give a fuck what manager we would attract. I am pretty sure Ancelloti is in the same boat at Real. The president tells him who he is going to sign and Carlo gets on with it. 

If you give a manager lots of nice players to pick, they will come. 

I wasn't assuming you don't hand over your hard earned. This isn't about you, you narcissistic loon. 

I don't actually give a fuck what manager we would attract. I am pretty sure Ancelloti is in the same boat at Real. The president tells him who he is going to sign and Carlo gets on with it. 

Clearly we wouldn't have a manager, we'd have a head coach. Signing players would no longer be the remit of the man in charge, in much the same way as it isn't across many other clubs in Europe.

You clearly feel inadequate in some way.

Anyway, you dont give a fuck which manager we have but refuse to say whether any manager would work under the proposed methodology.

Last time I checked, neither Real or Ancelotti operated by allowing the fans a say in which players the club signs.

But if you have hard evidence to the contrary.......

Read what I wrote again Mr Rat. You are not on the cheese. 

You are still missing with the point you are trying to make, which proves why my idea is a bad one. It's not a bad idea. Just different to what you are used to.

It's the ultimate in club-supporter closeness. We actually have a say in some of the players we sign. Nothing threatening or catastrophic about that. 

• Upvote 1