You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Food Banks

Gnasher

We have a food bank at our church. We let anyone come to it as they have need, whether they are members of the church or not. We don't do any sort of background check. If you say you are hungry and you need food, you are welcome to come and help yourself to what we have. 

We also contribute to a bigger food bank in the area, as they get much more 'business'. 

• Upvote 3

PS - lots of systemic problems/failure lead to the need for food banks. Solutions for all of society are needed at the higher political levels, but in the meantime, while the debate rages, I'm happy our church is able to do something to help people out. 

We made a decision about not requiring background checks in order to try to preserve dignity. If someone has need, come and help yourself. It's already a bad situation for the individual. The last thing they need is a jobsworth checking paperwork. The upside is that we try to preserve some dignity. The downside is that we could get ripped off. We accept those parameters. 

• Upvote 8

As far as I was were aware the crisis loan was replaced/rebranded, something like a short term advance.

This is exactly right.

Crisis Loans ceased on 1st April last year. They were previously administered by DWP.

Their successor, the Short Term Advance, are administered by local authorities.

This is exactly right.

Crisis Loans ceased on 1st April last year. They were previously administered by DWP.

Their successor, the Short Term Advance, are administered by local authorities.

And as the local authorities/councils have no money they give you a ticket for a food bank, hence the massive rise in people using food banks since crisis loans were abolished.

The rise in food banks are the result of this govts policy on dealing with the most disadvantaged people in society,

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/ministers-can-no-longer-deny-link-between-food-banks-and-benefit-cuts

The rise in food banks are the result of this govts policy on dealing with the most disadvantaged people in society

Have they finally established a causal link? All the reports I've seen have been unable to do so and, as we all know, cum hoc ergo propter hoc isn't enough.

• Upvote 1

Indeed. Mrs Turdseye told me she had to go to one once in a time of need, long before I met her. I'm not the most charitable person but if I see the food bank guys at Tesco or whatever I'll always grab a couple of things for them off the leaflet they hand out. Tinned fruit, rice pudding, etc.

I'd say Mrs Turdseye is the charitbale one, and has well and truly paid her debt back to society by taking you on. Lad.

• Upvote 2

Guest davelfc

Don't worry Iain Duncan Smith will be along to say it's all bollocks, there's no problems and people that visit food banks are just work shy.

If I was allowed to kill just three people in this world, I'd kill him three times.

edit: seems he doesn't give a fuck.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smith-leaves-commons-debate-on-food-banks-early-9013917.html

Tory ministers have been condemned for not taking the plight Britain's poor seriously after a rowdy Commons debate on food banks during which the Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith refused to answer questions and left early.

As Fiona MacTaggart, the Labour MP for Slough, described how people battled over end of day bargains in her local Tesco, she was almost drowned out by laughter and jeering from the government benches.

Ms McVey said it was a good thing that more people were turning to food banks and that Germany and Canada had also seen a rise in their use.

The Tory MP for Wirral West said:  “It is positive that people are reaching out to support other people - from church groups to community groups, to local supermarkets and other groups.”

Round them all up and hang them, each and every one of them.

• Upvote 2

Have they finally established a causal link? All the reports I've seen have been unable to do so and, as we all know, cum hoc ergo propter hoc isn't enough.

Look with your own eyes, its up and down the country, they're springing up across the land instead of daffodils. Welfare cuts=rise in food banks. It' really dos'nt take us to employ Sherlock Homes to work out the link,

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/ministers-can-no-longer-deny-link-between-food-banks-and-benefit-cuts

The people who ignore the growing list of people/organisations in this country who rightfully declare half a million Brits using food banks last year "a crisis" are imo making matters worse. This problem was caused by this coalition govt and all those involved in it, and they should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

• Upvote 1

Don't worry Iain Duncan Smith will be along to say it's all bollocks, there's no problems and people that visit food banks are just work shy.

If I was allowed to kill just three people in this world, I'd kill him three times.

edit: seems he doesn't give a fuck.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smith-leaves-commons-debate-on-food-banks-early-9013917.html

Tory ministers have been condemned for not taking the plight Britain's poor seriously after a rowdy Commons debate on food banks during which the Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith refused to answer questions and left early.

As Fiona MacTaggart, the Labour MP for Slough, described how people battled over end of day bargains in her local Tesco, she was almost drowned out by laughter and jeering from the government benches.

Ms McVey said it was a good thing that more people were turning to food banks and that Germany and Canada had also seen a rise in their use.

The Tory MP for Wirral West said:  “It is positive that people are reaching out to support other people - from church groups to community groups, to local supermarkets and other groups.”

Round them all up and hang them, each and every one of them.

Trying to reclassify the criteria to be counted as being in 'poverty' too. He really is a despicable little cunt.

Look with your own eyes, its up and down the country, they're springing up across the land instead of daffodils. Welfare cuts=rise in food banks. It' really dos'nt take us to employ Sherlock Homes to work out the link

If it's so easy to formally establish a link, then it ought to be no problem to find a report which confirms it, right?

On the other hand, the number of people using food banks has been pretty much doubling every year since 2005, which is a full five years before this government came to power.

So you'll understand, now that I've availed you of the facts, that it's difficult to blame a trend on policies introduced by a government which came to power in 2010 when that trend began in 2005.

Now, you could argue that this government has exacerbated a pre-existing trend, and you'd be on much more solid ground.

Although it must also be said that doubling of foodbanks every year does not mean there are twice as many hungry people every year. One of the reasons more people are using foodbanks is that public servants are not now banned from referring the needy to them.

I notice that the main reason people use foodbanks is delays in sorting out their benefit. Useless government bureaucracy strikes again!