You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team/Cup

old skool tom

Same, I'm not at all hopeful of anything from Dunn.

To be honest, as the months tick by, I'm fast losing any positivity about Canos, Wilson, Sinclair and Ojo.

Harsh, yes, but at the top level you start to see glimpses of a first team player at age 18/19. I've yet to see anything from these four which would make them capable of getting the better of a Sunderland defence, nevermind a good defence.

Look at Joe Gomez. It takes some going to get into a first team squad, let alone a starting XI, of a top team at that age, especially in defence. And he's younger than most of the lads in the U21's.

I only watched the second half. Were the tackles as bad (by either side) as they were in the second? It reminded me of last year when the u21s beat them and they were just flying into challenges, mostly out of frustration. The Everton lad who scored the second I believe, should have been off.

Ist half, they didn't get anywhere near our lads. Apart from changing the formation at half time, Unsworth obviously told them to get into our faces..... in other words give us a bit of a kicking - which has happened every time our U18s and U21s have played them in the last 2-3 years. We didn't adapt to their changed formation and couldn't match their increased physicality and intensity.

First game of the season for the 18s. Tidy player, gets into good areas, but was pretty wasteful with the ball today.

Made a nice little front post run for the winning goal, and just managed to get enough of a toe on the ball to put it bast the Boro' keeper.

• Upvote 1

First game of the season for the 18s. Tidy player, gets into good areas, but was pretty wasteful with the ball today.

Made a nice little front post run for the winning goal, and just managed to get enough of a toe on the ball to put it bast the Boro' keeper.

He's 15 right? Is he the youngest of the U18s? I'm not up to scratch on the Academy and only just caught the mini derby in the week. That was interesting to see how we just lost it in the second half after being so comfortable. I take it that was down to Illori being solid in defence.