You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

Hernandez is a much better fit for us than Balotelli.

It's sort of confusing in the sense that Balotelli doesn't fit our system really at all. We needed( for lack of a better term ) a Sturridge style signing.

That's why I'm assuming we went after Remy initially. 

Balotelli, despite how bad hes been, isn't a shite player in my opinion. He definitely has ability. It's just that his abilities and also probably attitude don't suit us one bit. 

Can you tell me what our style of play is please. Because i have no fucking idea.

But that said Song is a better midfielder ofhis type than any currently at Anfield.

Then you have Valencia and Sahko doing pretty fucking well i have to say.

Well it still looks a pass and move style to me albeit not as much as a joy to watch as last season.

Its prety amazing some folk cant tell if we play hit and rush, or pummel the box with high balls etc.

Point Im making is, is song looking a better midfielder because of the way fat sam has set whu up to play? Song might not be as effective if he played in a pass and move team.

Well it still looks a pass and move style to me albeit not as much as a joy to watch as last season.

Its prety amazing some folk cant tell if we play hit and rush, or pummel the box with high balls etc.

Point Im making is, is song looking a better midfielder because of the way fat sam has set whu up to play? Song might not be as effective if he played in a pass and move team.

West Ham played like that today.

They are not anything approaching a hoofing side right now.

I know what the received wisdom is re our style of play, my point is we are a disjointed mess. We did not sign enough players to enforce Rodgers style and thats really where the problem lies. We are being asked to believe in this philosophy but we patently lack the personnel to enforce it. Teams were scared of us last year with SaS, but without that threat we don't have the pace and power to play the way Rodgers says he wants to play. We have Joe Allen Lucas Gerrard Can and Henderson to pick from.

Its not enough.

Song was bringing the ball out of midfield every bit as much as he was winning it back today.

He is the EPITOME of a Rodgers signing yet we sat there and watched Allardyce sign him.

Fucking stupid.

Its so fucking bewildering that our club does not see the need for a player like him.

If we had had Song, or someone like him, in our side last year, we would have won the league.

By about 6 or 7 points probably.

Why was Balotelli signed for this pressing passing revolution then?

Might as well have me up there for that.

I've said it before.

Scrambled thinking.

• Upvote 1

Try to watch the West Ham game somewhere or at least the highlights. 

I know it takes some getting your head around, given their manager, but they played some great stuff today.

What IS under Rodgers control is the team lineup. Yes he bought Balotelli, and probably feels the need to justify that by playing him week in week out regardless. However, he also bought Borini, and should stand by that signing as well. There are training videos of Borini putting the ball in the back of the net, so we know he's capable plus he has a strong work ethic.

Rodgers is also entrenched tactically. With a player like Balotelli, having full backs down the flanks would be an advantage - this is where players like Johnson and Enrique come into their own, and provide a plan B. We might benefit from playing 5 at the back, wing backs moving up the flanks, leaving 3 bolstered by a DM - that would give us the cut and thrust of 2 attacking mids, with 2 strikers up front - Borini would work with the AMs, Balotelli linger in the box for the cross.

Fuck it, its only an idea, but BR seems devoid of them.

As for the defense. Rodgers is the coach is he not?

Have you had some sort of breakdown you fucking mentalist?

Borini when he has played has looked fucking shite. Unfortunately in the short time Lambert has played he has also been pretty fucking awful although I thought he did well today. You think we should play Borini because you've seen a video of him scoring goals in training? How old are you? 12?

With players like Balotelli we could do with full backs like Enrique and Johnson to get forward? Are you trolling me? He played them both against QPR last week and we should have got beat. It's not as if Manquillo and Moreno don't get forward either. The rest of your post is similar shit like this. We've barely had 2 centre halves fit this season and you want to bring Kolo Toure who's looked shaky at times in for one of our attacking players despite us struggling to score goals.

You think Rodgers is devoid of ideas? Are you fucking mental? Do you even know who he is?

You are the exact sort of person my post was aimed at. You evidently want him out or are on the verge of demanding it from another few poor results. Last season he showed that despite being against the odds he could pull a side together to mix with the top of the league. We had had sides full of a lot better players than last seasons was and come nowhere near the title because we didn't have a manager with Rodgers balls but I digress.

You could sack Rodgers and replace him with Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp etc and I have no doubt they wouldn't do any better than him. It all comes down to money. Yes we've wasted money on players but that's for the reasons Stu Monty described above. When we sign players they aren't a guarantee because if they were they wouldn't be coming to us. Players like this Valencia, Sakho etc looking good for these average teams is a case of the Borini's. If they came to us they wouldn't look like half the players they do playing for these sides because there's less pressure. It's as simple as.

Just because Rodgers is getting bad results doesnt mean its automatically his fault he's playing against a loaded deck and I'm happy for him to carry on for the foreseeable because he's our best bet. The mentality and tactics he employed last season with a side full of players he'd had for a year was exactly what we had been crying out for for years. Things have conspired against him this season so far in terms of the transfer market and injuries and shitehawks like yourself are jumping on him immediately.

• Upvote 3

Borini when he has played has looked fucking shite. Unfortunately in the short time Lambert has played he has also been pretty fucking awful although I thought he did well today. You think we should play Borini because you've seen a video of him scoring goals in training? How old are you? 12?

With players like Balotelli we could do with full backs like Enrique and Johnson to get forward? Are you trolling me? He played them both against QPR last week and we should have got beat. It's not as if Manquillo and Moreno don't get forward either. The rest of your post is similar shit like this. We've barely had 2 centre halves fit this season and you want to bring Kolo Toure who's looked shaky at times in for one of our attacking players despite us struggling to score goals.

You think Rodgers is devoid of ideas? Are you fucking mental? Do you even know who he is?

You are the exact sort of person my post was aimed at. You evidently want him out or are on the verge of demanding it from another few poor results. Last season he showed that despite being against the odds he could pull a side together to mix with the top of the league. We had had sides full of a lot better players than last seasons was and come nowhere near the title because we didn't have a manager with Rodgers balls but I digress.

You could sack Rodgers and replace him with Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp etc and I have no doubt they wouldn't do any better than him. It all comes down to money. Yes we've wasted money on players but that's for the reasons Stu Monty described above. When we sign players they aren't a guarantee because if they were they wouldn't be coming to us. Players like this Valencia, Sakho etc looking good for these average teams is a case of the Borini's. If they came to us they wouldn't look like half the players they do playing for these sides because there's less pressure. It's as simple as.

Just because Rodgers is getting bad results doesnt mean its automatically his fault he's playing against a loaded deck and I'm happy for him to carry on for the foreseeable because he's our best bet. The mentality and tactics he employed last season with a side full of players he'd had for a year was exactly what we had been crying out for for years. Things have conspired against him this season so far in terms of the transfer market and injuries and shitehawks like yourself are jumping on him immediately.

I do think Rodgers should be thinking on his feet a bit quicker this season to be fair. Sturridges continued absence seems to have shaken the belief of quite a few.

Balotelli CLEARLY plays better with more players around him, thats not to say hes any good or worth sticking with for any lenght of time, but hes here til Jan at least. So in part i admire Rodgers for sticking with him today and maybe our tactics will evolve gradually to suit him.

Rodgers had Suarez last year to account for most of your steamed up frottage, so i'm also inclined to be a bit more critical of him this year.

What happens on the pitch is what we sit in judgement of, and its been fucking terrible so far to be fair.

Im pretty certain we may have got some better results this season if we just play a battering ram style or just constantly bombard the oppos with high balls lofted into their area. But how many people would really want us to play that way?

Really? What makes you come to this conclusion?

The reason I ask is of course that we can't defend for shit, especially corners and free-kicks. Which is something these battering teams really know how to do.

I think we will get better as the season goes on. Controversial, eh?

I think if we ditch the  way we've been playing(which suits having Sturridge and Suarez in the team) and do what we did for the last half hour today we'll definitely get better and pretty quickly. 

Lambert and Balotelli are obviously nothing like SAS but I think they can be effective together. 

When Sturridge gets back to fitness we cpuld re-assess  then.. 

No the post I responded to is above. The idea that West Ham are "the latest team" to make Liverpool look like chumps was something I found funny given that we've dished them our dross regularly.  I'm talking to someone who also doesn't seem to recognise that buying for that Liverpool side is different to buying for West Ham, and so I'm pointing that out.

Mark, you've seemingly written off a lot of players already after 8 games and are questioning why the club got a manager in that nearly won the title. I don't see what I can say that might dial down the hysteria?

No you weren't.

You were making a cheap shot about Carroll and Downing.

If you don't think a player like Song would be a help to our team, you truly are talking out of your hoop.

Whether these players would thrive at LFC is not the point.

We don't know til they get here.Its happened too many times to just dismiss them as small club wonders.

Furthermore, if its about pressure as you say, then surely a well scouted punt for 7-8 million arrives with no pressure at all. What the fuck are our "scouts" doing??? What's the point of them?

We always hit the middling 6/10 bracket and pay over the odds for players who arrive with a £20mill tag and then flop. Howabout we do some fucking scouting and find a few nuggets?

Anyone on here could have scouted half our signings straight off the telly.

If Rodgers truly had a system in mind, he would be looking at players like Song.

Energy.

Control.

Power.

3 things our midfield is crying out for, and has been for 5 fucking years.

A fucking bargain.

Whoever he signed for.

Good fucking night.

• Upvote 5

No you weren't.

You were making a cheap shot about Carroll and Downing.

If you don't think a player like Song would be a help to our team, you truly are talking out of your hoop.

Whether these players would thrive at LFC is not the point.

We don't know til they get here.Its happened too many times to just dismiss them as small club wonders.

Furthermore, if its about pressure as you say, then surely a well scouted punt for 7-8 million arrives with no pressure at all. What the fuck are our "scouts" doing??? What's the point of them?

We always hit the middling 6/10 bracket and pay over the odds for players who arrive with a £20mill tag and then flop. Howabout we do some fucking scouting and find a few nuggets?

Anyone on here could have scouted half our signings straight off the telly.

If Rodgers truly had a system in mind, he would be looking at players like Song.

Energy.

Control.

Power.

3 things our midfield is crying out for, and has been for 5 fucking years.

A fucking bargain.

Whoever he signed for.

Good fucking night.

Haha love the pure intensity of that post. Its all true though. Were just fucking shite in the transfer market and have been for years.

No I don't want Rodgers sacked.

Balotelli is shite.

The transfer market conspired against him? You have to be fucking joking.

I do believe on general principle conspiracies do occur. But yeah not in our case. We just made bad decisions this summer. That doesn't even mean we signed bad players.

I just mean we made bad decisions.like having a curry before dance class. It doesn't mean the curry is bad. It just means a bacon sandwich may have been a better choice.

I admire the way rodgers is standing by balotelli. he got a question after the game about the brilliant chance coutinho created for him at the end and the reporter asked wouldn't it have been brilliant for mario to score that because he needs a goal and rodgers said it would have been brilliant for the team.