You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Help with New York...

Flying Pig

Try the King and Grove - Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Great hotel, great price (at least booking locally). Short ride on the subway to and from Manhattan. Hit the tourist spots of Manhattan in the day, chill in Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn at night. Good bars and restaurants. Just a suggestion.

Went there as part of my honeymoon with (the former) Mrs KP. Awesome place, although too hot in August. However, my greatest memory is how claustrophobic I felt there. In mid-Manhatten all you seemingly can see is skyscraper after skyscraper. We were there for 4 days and still couldn't pack in half of what we would have wanted to do. I reckon 10 days will be great. You can do all the tourist stuff and also take in some more of the local life as well.

Will definitely be going back, and I expect within the next 18 mths. Quite fancy a Nov/Dec time taking in some f**tball of the American kind.

Great time to go. New York is magical place if it snows...Central Park, Rockerfeller Centre etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Also - I live here in the States and last summer my son flew over from the UK to spend a few months with us. I got a call from him at Heathrow at 4am in the morning over here, because he didn't fill in his I-94 details on the ESTA system before checking in. He / I hadn't heard of it and we had a hairy couple of hours getting it resolved. Being cleared to fly was thankfully achieved in minutes, but the ESTA web-page isn't that intuitive and it warns that it could take a lot longer for a person's details to be processed. Sorry if you know this already - but just in case...

Link:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Also - I live here in the States and last summer my son flew over from the UK to spend a few months with us. I got a call from him at Heathrow at 4am in the morning over here' date=' because he didn't fill in his I-94 details on the ESTA system before checking in. He / I hadn't heard of it and we had a hairy couple of hours getting it resolved. Being cleared to fly was thankfully achieved in minutes, but the ESTA web-page isn't that intuitive and it warns that it could take a lot longer for a person's details to be processed. Sorry if you know this already - but just in case...

Link:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

I did only recently find out but cheers anyway.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to the big apple next week for 7 nights.

I have a Hostel booked for me and my bird for the first 5 nights, then we plan to go over to Philadelphia for a night and have a final night in NY in proper hotels.

My thinking was I wait till maybe the day before (while we're there) booking those last 2 nights accommodation on something like Hotwire. Those last nights are a Tuesday and Wednesday, I hear you get amazing deals on 4 star hotels at short notice because the hotels want to fill them. Is this a good idea in the humble GF's opinion? 

Also, FP, how was it?

We travelled around the east coast last month--Boston, NY, Philly, Washington.

We booked as we went, and I don't think we saved any money, if at all. We were, for the most part, staying in expensive down-town hotels.

BTW, New York was fantastic. I'd go back tomorrow.

If you're looking for a cheap high-light, take the Staten Island Ferry round-trip around dusk.

• 1 month later...

Just booked to go back for my birthday in February, can't wait.

Only been once (2007) & it was one of the best weeks of my entire life, can't say enough about the place.

Also, Jimmy's Corner on 43rd Street is my 2nd favourite pub in the World (after my local).

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Hopefully booking New York for 5-6 days over Paddys Day (my 30th birthday).

It'll be me, my daughter, my sister and my brother in law.

Any tips advice on attractions to see, things for kids (my daughter is 8), places to go/eat/see etc?

Cheers GF.

Staten Island Ferry is free & goes past the Statue of Liberty

Top of the Rock is supposedly better than the Empire State Building (I've only been up the former & can recommend it)

Central Park

The High Line

If it's nice weather, walking around Greenwich Village

World Trade Centre

Ghostbusters HQ

The Metropolitan Museum for art (donations)

Some of those are pretty obvious but I've never been with kids so am struggling a bit. If the weather is ok, it's a great place just to wander around & take it all in.

• Upvote 2

Yep top of the rock is better than the empire state building. The former I went up in the daytime and the views are unreal. It isn't too busy and they have things to do for the kid when going up. just a picture taken, a big screen while in the queue and then the lift has some mad imagery as you go up. the top deck isn't too busy so you have space the get pictures etc. its ace. The latter however is a pain in the arse. Went up in the night, was in there queue for about an hour before reaching the top. It was packed up there as well, could barely get to the fencing to have a look never mind take a picture. Japanese tourists pushing in and just generally being rude. Wasn't a nice experience tbh. 

Get a picnic in central park if its not too cold. 

Didn't enjoy the staten island ferry too much but I was hungover. 

World trade centre site is a must do for adults but not sure how much you want to expose your daughter to such evil..... 

Swerve Chinatown as its a shithole but Little Italy is brilliant. 

If your a Lennon fan then go and see the Dakota building and across the street in one of the park entrances (directly opposite the apartments) is strawberry fields. Always a fella there playing Beatles which is nice. 

Don't be scared of the subway. Its a piece of piss, just don't bother during rush hour. 

But as Mook says, just walking round particularly Mid-Town is an experience in itself. Take it in, embrace it and take me with you you bastard. 

Keep your missus out of Bloomingdales or you might end up having to sell both houses. 

• Upvote 2

Yep top of the rock is better than the empire state building. The former I went up in the daytime and the views are unreal. It isn't too busy and they have things to do for the kid when going up. just a picture taken, a big screen while in the queue and then the lift has some mad imagery as you go up. the top deck isn't too busy so you have space the get pictures etc. its ace. The latter however is a pain in the arse. Went up in the night, was in there queue for about an hour before reaching the top. It was packed up there as well, could barely get to the fencing to have a look never mind take a picture. Japanese tourists pushing in and just generally being rude. Wasn't a nice experience tbh. 

Get a picnic in central park if its not too cold. 

Didn't enjoy the staten island ferry too much but I was hungover. 

World trade centre site is a must do for adults but not sure how much you want to expose your daughter to such evil..... 

Swerve Chinatown as its a shithole but Little Italy is brilliant. 

If your a Lennon fan then go and see the Dakota building and across the street in one of the park entrances (directly opposite the apartments) is strawberry fields. Always a fella there playing Beatles which is nice. 

Don't be scared of the subway. Its a piece of piss, just don't bother during rush hour. 

But as Mook says, just walking round particularly Mid-Town is an experience in itself. Take it in, embrace it and take me with you you bastard. 

Keep your missus out of Bloomingdales or you might end up having to sell both houses. 

I am single so, I'll keep my daughter out of the disney store.

And thanks!