You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Astronomy

As cheap as possible but I can stretch a little if it's a quality product.

For the amount of money you're looking at spending you might be better off getting a pair of 10x50 binoculars.

Telescopes such as the Seben you posted, because they are cheap, obviously use cheaper components. So the tripod / mount wont be very secure, so you'll find it impossible to get a clear, vibration free image. The finderscope will also be next to useless so you won't be able to get anything in view, etc etc.

I don't mean to put you off, but a really cheap telescope will frustrate and piss you off, you'll lob it into the corner and never use it again. That's not to say a decent 'scope has to cost the earth, it doesn't, you can get really really good beginners 'scopes for about £130, that will have decent components and will let you see awesome stuff like Saturns rings, banding on Jupiter and her moons, the Orion Nebula and all sorts of stuff.

Firstly I should add that I'm also a relative beginner, I recently got my first telescope but after 4 - 5 months of researching, reading up on the subject and asking plenty of questions. I'm by no means an expert but got given loads of good advice.

I don't know how much you know about telescopes, so forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs (whatever the fuck that means). The two most common type of telescopes are the Refractor and the Reflector (also known as a Newtonian Reflector). The Refractor is what most people imagine when they think of a telescope -

REFRACTOR%20Diagram.jpg

25.jpg

The Reflector looks like this -

REFLECTOR%20diagram.jpg

SW450.jpg

The general assumed rule is that Refractors are better for planetary viewing, and Reflectors better for things such as galaxies, nebulae and star clusters. However, I have been told that it's only when you start paying megabucks that this rule of thumb holds true.

The most important part of the telescope is basically how much light it gathers, as this is what gives you the quality of image. And 'how much light it gathers' basically means how wide the opening / aperture is (measured in mm). Because the Refractor uses a lens, whereas the Reflector uses a mirror, the Refractor works out more expensive pound for pound. To get the most bang for your buck, a Reflector is the best option. For example a Skywatcher 90mm Refractor costs around £145. A Skywatcher 130mm Reflector on the same mount and tripod costs around £135, so ten quid cheaper for a light gathering area 40mm wider. A Reflector is also what Sky at Night magazine recommend for beginners, as the best value for money.

Before I bore you with the different types of mounts, what are you looking for in a telescope? Are ease of use important, is storage space limited? Do you mind spending a little bit of time setting it up or do you want a 'grab and go' scope that can have you ready to go in minutes?

I've been researching for a while, and I've asked a few people on Twitter who are astronomers for a living. With my relative inexperience of the sky I've more or less decided to go for a computerised one. The reason being that I'm not great with maps and charts etc so if I can get on the go quickly with one then it suits me better.

I don't have a lot of storage space but I have alternatives. It would possibly live in the boot of my car to be honest as there are a couple of decent places nearby.

SkyWatcher Startravel 102 SynScan AZ GOTO Refractor Telescope [10207] - £296.00 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

This is the exact model I've been recommended, and I believe it also supports digital camera functionality, which I'd definitely like to have some fun with in the near future.

Part of the attraction for me was learning the sky and where everything was relative to each other, so I definitely didn't want to go down the GOTO route, and I wanted the vast majority of the money spent to be spent on it's light gathering power. Stellarium is a great little piece of free software that helps you to learn the sky and plot 'star-hopping' routes, and once you've spent a bit of time with it it's amazing how quickly you can look up at the sky (once the bastard cloud pisses off) and immediately recognise things. Also Turn Left at Orion is a really simple book that helps you navigate, no maps or charts or anything complicated.

I take it you've upped your budget then!

Guest San Don

GOTO has its benefits and shouldnt stop anyone learning where stars are.

Interesting news today that the universe is 50 million years older than thought (or so latest information says). Its a mere blink of an eye in a timespan of almost 14 billion years.

That in itself is mind blowing, 14 billion years. Just think about how long that is, you cannot truely comprehend it.

I take it you've upped your budget then!

To be honest mate I didn't have a budget in mind. I just looked for "beginner telescopes" and the one I first posted was the first hit. I'm one of these people who doesn't mind paying extra for things as long as they are useful and enhance my experience with something.

• 8 years later...
2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Just got celestron telescope as a birthday present.

Sky portal app dips in and out.

Thinking of buying hand controller, anyone done similar?

Nice one. I was going to get a celestron but a few of the neighbours round our have been installing these fucking lights under the soffits so the place looks like Blackpool illuminations.

You wouldnt think they'd make much light pollution but there is. Those hand controllers got a good write up when I was thinking about getting a telescope but Im a bit surprised the app is a bit hit and miss.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Nice one. I was going to get a celestron but a few of the neighbours round our have been installing these fucking lights under the soffits so the place looks like Blackpool illuminations.

You wouldnt think they'd make much light pollution but there is. Those hand controllers got a good write up when I was thinking about getting a telescope but Im a bit surprised the app is a bit hit and miss.

Thanks for replying mate.

Light pollution is a bitch, next purchase for me might be air rifle to take a street light out!

The app controls the scope and disconnects a lot which is annoying as fuck. It is great for info on what's up there that night including satellites.

Controller is close on £200 in Turkey against £110 in UK so might get one brought over if we ever get over Covid.

9 hours ago, Chr15 said:

There are a few apps available if you're interested.  

ISS Live  ( obviously plots the ISS)

StarWalk2 

Mobile Observatory 

Night Shift (gives info on what's visible in your area)

Nice one mate.

I will have a look at them. ISS one in particular as I really want to view that. Watched the space station tour videos the other day, really interesting.

Sky portal is good for daily out there info.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Thanks for replying mate.

Light pollution is a bitch, next purchase for me might be air rifle to take a street light out!

The app controls the scope and disconnects a lot which is annoying as fuck. It is great for info on what's up there that night including satellites.

Controller is close on £200 in Turkey against £110 in UK so might get one brought over if we ever get over Covid.

Sounds a bit weird the app disconnecting. Is it a Celestron app of another downloadable one? If it is shipped with the Celestron, maybe there's an update needed? Might be worthwhile contacting the gaff you got the scope from and ask their advice, might be a faulty unit?

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Sounds a bit weird the app disconnecting. Is it a Celestron app of another downloadable one? If it is shipped with the Celestron, maybe there's an update needed? Might be worthwhile contacting the gaff you got the scope from and ask their advice, might be a faulty unit?

It is a celestron app, it could be the WiFi here although I will contact them. Not the quickest reply service though.

The idea of it is you click on any planet/star and scope moves to the selection. Good at first but takes some of the joy of finding them yourself which is what I'm doing now.

And, I'll never discover a new star!

Anyway based on my love of the sky at night, I'm going to watch captain marvel tonight!