You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Have to agree with Numero on Moses. It seems people wanting him to be better than he is because we might be signing him. Pace and power and very raw

He is not a significant improvement on Sterling for me but I guess "the committee" must have seen something in him. Rafa also seemed to like him. The Chelsea fans appear to rate him.

Hopefully he will surprise us.

Bascombe in The Telegraph:

The centre-halves are due on Merseyside for a medical on Saturday, with Aston Villa’s Shay Given also expected to complete a short-term move to deputise for Simon Mignolet.

Liverpool will then try to conclude negotiations with Chelsea for Victor Moses on a season’s loan.

Despite a frustrating few months in the transfer market, manager Brendan Rodgers will feel his squad is significantly stronger if all those negotiations conclude without a hitch.

Ilori, from Sporting Lisbon, will cost around £8 million, while Sakho, who is leaving Paris St-Germain, is rated at £15 million. Moses’s loan fee could stretch to £2 million.

Rodgers has been eager for more defensive cover all summer. He signed Kolo Touré to replace Jamie Carragher, but still was not happy with the depth of options.

Martin Skrtel, who will play against Manchester United on Sunday if Touré fails a late fitness test, has fallen out of favour and was the subject of interest from Napoli. Liverpool insist, however, that despite the capture of two more defenders, Skrtel will not be sold before Monday.

While the four deals represent a successful end to a testing period in the transfer market, Liverpool will still be relieved if business closes without any further bids for striker Luis Suárez.

It is understood Suárez now accepts he will have to remain at Liverpool for the foreseeable future, but in the absence of any public declaration from him to that effect, no one is presuming there will be no fresh bids.

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has stated that even if an offer did materialise it would not succeed, citing the example of Fernando Torres’ sale on deadline day in 2011, and the subsequent purchase of Andy Carroll, as a reason why the club will not entertain bids.

“We were very challenged to improve the club after Fernando Torres left and made a decision very quickly to replace him with Andy Carroll,” recalled Werner.

“One lesson there is from that is we will do what’s in the best interests of the club and it would have been difficult to consider any sort of offer for Luis.

“We said to Luis you are important to the success of the club and we have to do what’s in the best interests of Liverpool. You may be frustrated not being in the Champions League this year but we need you and expect you to be professional and as the window nears its end it would be even more difficult to replace Luis.”

Werner would not be drawn as to whether it is inevitable Suárez will leave Liverpool next year should the club fail to finish in the top four.

“Let’s take it one campaign at a time,” he said. “If next May we are in the CL it would be a felicitous day to make fans and Luis happy. We are doing what’s in the best interests of the club.”

Apparently WBA are in for Moses. Hopefully we've got a couple of irons in the fire. Still' date=' I can't see us spending more than the 25/30m that'd cost us + wages, agent fees, signing bonuses.[/quote']

Someone on the MF has posted bascombe saying 4 in for Monday given & Moses loans, Ilori and Sakho permanent deals. Seems disappointing to me - although if Sakho is a replacement for skrtel he will be a step up. The rest is just meh.

Wonder if Rodgers is considering kolo in midfield?

Edit... Just seen the bascombe bit above.

@LFCTS: Tony Barrett - Sakho and Ilori will arrive for medical on Merseyside tomorrow after Liverpool agreed £18m fee with PSG and £7m with Sporting

Have no idea whether that's adding anything to the thread, also have no idea what they're like

And from The Echo:

Liverpool FC are on the brink of signing Sporting Lisbon defender Tiago Ilori for around £7million – one of four new arrivals boss Brendan Rodgers wants before Monday's transfer deadline.

The 20-year-old Portuguese centre-back is expected on Merseyside this weekend to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical.

Rodgers is also hoping to tie up deals for Paris Saint-Germain defender Mamadou Sakho, Chelsea winger Victor Moses and Aston Villa keeper Shay Given.

Liverpool have held positive talks with PSG over Sakho with the Reds close to agreeing a fee of around £12million. The France international is in the final year of his contract.

The ECHO understands that the targeting of two new centre-backs doesn't mean that any of the current crop will be moving on.

Rodgers views Ilori as an investment for the future with Sakho set to be brought in to compete with Daniel Agger, Kolo Toure and Martin Skrtel for a first-team spot over the coming months.

The manager is also keen to boost his attacking options with a season-long loan deal for Moses still under discussion.

The Nigeria international is surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge following their summer spending spree and there are a host of clubs keen to take him on.

Liverpool is Moses' favoured destination but Chelsea have so far been reluctant to allow him to make the switch to Anfield.

The Londoners view the Reds as a competitor for the Champions League spots this season and would prefer that he went elsewhere.

However, Liverpool are hoping their willingness to pay a loan fee and the 22-year-old's wages, coupled with the player's desire to sign, will help them get the deal done.

There is no truth in reports that the Reds have bid £19.7million for Dynamo Kiev winger Andriy Yarmalenko, but Rodgers is interested in bringing Villa's veteran shot-stopper Given to Anfield.

The 37-year-old is looking for a new club having fallen out of favour at Villa Park and the Reds are keen to secure his services.

Given's arrival wouldn't spell the end for Brad Jones with the Republic of Ireland star only having been offered the chance to be third choice behind Simon Mignolet and Jones.

Liverpool have been looking for more goalkeeping cover since Peter Gulacsi left to join Red Bull Salzburg.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

£25m on two defenders. I've got to be honest, I didn't see that coming, and I'm one of the more positive posters on the forum.

If we take The Echo's figures as being accurate we will have spent about £21 million on Ilori, Sakho and Moses. That leaves about £10 million of our assumed summer budget left (before any further sales) for another attacking player, if we are after one.

£25m on two defenders. I've got to be honest, I didn't see that coming, and I'm one of the more positive posters on the forum.

seems to be conflicting reports on the Sakho fee, Echo saying £12million but then they are also saying Given would be behind Jones in the pecking order which has to be bollocks!

Sakho apart (excited about that one), it seems we're just replacing squad fillers with more squad fillers. What's the point?

We need a deeper squad.

We do also need extra quality for the first team though, so your point isn't entirely without merit...

Someone on the MF has posted bascombe saying 4 in for Monday given & Moses loans, Ilori and Sakho permanent deals. Seems disappointing to me - although if Sakho is a replacement for skrtel he will be a step up. The rest is just meh.

Right.

From Willian to Moses in one fell swoop.

Joy and raptures.

Fuck it.

But Moses will improve us. Marginally.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
seems to be conflicting reports on the Sakho fee, Echo saying £12million but then they are also saying Given would be behind Jones in the pecking order which has to be bollocks!

They seem way behind on the Sakho deal. Didn't even mention it hardly this morning.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sakho apart (excited about that one), it seems we're just replacing squad fillers with more squad fillers. What's the point?

Whilst I'm not excited or arsed about Ilori, Given or Moses, hasn't everybody been up in arms about squad depth?

How accurate is Tony Barett? 18mil for a defender? rather excessive isnt't? are we being shafted again? We need two more defender so I'm happy with that, not sure what the point of Given is, but if it adds depth for not much money then all is good, all we need is an attacking player.

Spurs have bought Eriksen for 12mil that seems like a bargain, how come we didnt go for him? Rather worried by Spurs, they have a REALLY strong squad now, both in their first 11 and a decent bench too, potential title challengers IMO, although inexperience will fail them.

We need a deeper squad.

We do also need extra quality for the first team though, so your point isn't entirely without merit...

We're essentially replacing like for like, only younger and presumably on lower wages. Nothing wrong with getting value for money. With regards to us getting top 4, I can't really see the reasoning behind it though.

We're at status quo, albeit with a trimmed wage bill. Mission accomplished I suppose.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Time for bed for me, I think. Tancredi is saying we've bid for Damiao. I'd piss my pants, and have a heart attack at the same time. I best go into hiding.