You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wesley Sneijder

Fowlers God

So Sneijder is unambitious because he chose Galatasaray who play in the last 16 of the Champions League in a month so he will be playing at the top stage and earn around 5m euros(he accepted a paycut) per season. Instead of being ambitious and join Liverpool, earn 60k per week and battle for 7th place. Ok, sure.

The only unambitious in the story is the FSG's project for Liverpool.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Sneijder is unambitious because he chose Galatasaray who play in the last 16 of the Champions League in a month so he will be playing at the top stage and earn around 5m euros(he accepted a paycut) per season. Instead of being ambitious and join Liverpool, earn 60k per week and battle for 7th place. Ok, sure.

How very dare you question the "FSG Project".

Its not as if there was absolutely nothing in the Italian press about us being linked with him at all.

The fact that he has chosen to go and play in the footballers graveyard that is the turkish league says a hell of a lot about his complete lack of ambition.

He is 28, he realistically had one more big move left in his career, and he's completely wasted it.

That about sums it up, the greed of some of these players is unreal, he must have multi millions and bet set up for life with ease, you would think most top players want a shot at the PL at some point, especially a player in his position.

You can see why the Manc teams stayed well away now.

I wouldn't say 'most' players are attracted to the premier league and you can find examples of a few who hadn't given a thought to playing in England. Raul was pretty good, but would he have come here? Zidane? Messi may never play in the premier league and may never even contemplate leaving Barca. What players want, I think, is to be comfortable and take care of their families when they retire at age 33 or so. I think Sneijder is probably happy with his lot now, and I think we'll probably be alright without him.

He has chosen to play in a League where Darius Vassell was given a hero's welcome and play alongside the likes of Eboue, Riera and Elmander rather than the likes of Gerrard, Suarez and Agger all for some extra money that if he has been anything like sensible over the course of his career he'll probably never even notice

He has chosen to play in a League where Darius Vassell was given a hero's welcome and play alongside the likes of Eboue, Riera and Elmander rather than the likes of Gerrard, Suarez and Agger all for some extra money that if he has been anything like sensible over the course of his career he'll probably never even notice

His team is in the CL and will likely be in the CL next year, we can't say the same.

Personally I think we've dodged a bullet as he is injury prone.

How can not signing for us (if we were ever a realistic option) and signing for Gala be an unambitious move?

Don't believe the Sky "best league in the world" hype bollocks. He is signing for a club in latter stages of the CL. Gala are a huge club. The Premier League isn't the be all and end all, the English Champions were dumped out bottom of their Champions League group and the European Champions couldn't even make this seasons knock out stage. If you take away our history and judge us on our merits we are currently no bigger than an Everton or Spurs. It's all very well hearing about FSG and Ayre's big 'project' ideas but until we see some substance to that its nothing more than good PR.

If you're a top European player with CL clubs offering you a contract then you're not going to chose today's Liverpool. The only way to sign these players is to pay through the nose, which we're not willing to do. Sad but true. If the club starts showing tangible signs of that ambitious project they talk about then that may change but until then we need to get used to shopping in Asda instead of Harrods.

Not buying this Champions League means its worth a move to Turkey stuff, I too think the Sky best league ever ever stuff is a load of bollocks but move to Galatasaray just because they are in the Champions League, so you'd expect someone to join Celtic over us? Whats the point in testing yourself in the Champions League (and most likely get knocked out in the group stages/last 16) if your going to be playing against shite every week domestically?

That about sums it up, the greed of some of these players is unreal, he must have multi millions and bet set up for life with ease, you would think most top players want a shot at the PL at some point, especially a player in his position.

You can see why the Manc teams stayed well away now.

Why?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why?

It's the most watched, most famous footballing league in the world? It has been the number one league for decades, and when it's not the number one league it's briefly the number two league. Then money is spent and it's the number one league again.

As for Wes, well, he wanted this league but wanted money more.

It's the most watched, most famous footballing league in the world? It has been the number one league for decades, and when it's not the number one league it's briefly the number two league. Then money is spent and it's the number one league again.

As for Wes, well, he wanted this league but wanted money more.

not+sure+if+serious+_a3c87850b858e3bdd7d16ee8dcf5c0ea.jpeg

We're still far bigger than Galatasaray, evidenced by the fact that the Turkish league is half filled with our rejects.

Not buying this Champions League means its worth a move to Turkey stuff, I too think the Sky best league ever ever stuff is a load of bollocks but move to Galatasaray just because they are in the Champions League, so you'd expect someone to join Celtic over us? Whats the point in testing yourself in the Champions League (and most likely get knocked out in the group stages/last 16) if your going to be playing against shite every week domestically?

I totally agree, historically we are much bigger than Gala. But what are we today? 7th in the league 20+ points off the top and 7 off the top 4 with trips to the Emirates and Etihad looming having not beaten a top half side all season. We have been outside the top 6 since 2009. We have an exciting squad full of potential and an absolute gem in Luis Suarez ( who as pointed out by SG yesterday , could well be off this summer if we once again finish outside the CL). Those are the black and white facts of our situation.

I'm hopeful for the future but that's all it is. I've liked a lot of our work but equally there are areas which concern me. Instead of Ayre waffling on about our ambition I'd like to see some evidence of it. I'd like to see real progress on Anfield and a move to finally increase capacity. I'd like to see us target some experienced attacking quality to compliment the youth. As Luis said, young players win matches, experienced players win titles. Sneijder would have fitted the bill but we wouldn't pay what Gala will pay for him. Fair enough, but you certainly can't blame him or criticise his move. He is 28, this is the last big move of his career and currently we represent a risk to any top player looking for success at the top of the game. If he is picking up 200k a week in Italy why should he drop his wages by 60/70% to come to a mid table / Europa club in Englabd regardless of our history?

I totally agree, historically we are much bigger than Gala. But what are we today? 7th in the league 20+ points off the top and 7 off the top 4 with trips to the Emirates and Etihad looming having not beaten a top half side all season. We have been outside the top 6 since 2009. We have an exciting squad full of potential and an absolute gem in Luis Suarez ( who as pointed out by SG yesterday , could well be off this summer if we once again finish outside the CL). Those are the black and white facts of our situation.

I'm hopeful for the future but that's all it is. I've liked a lot of our work but equally there are areas which concern me. Instead of Ayre waffling on about our ambition I'd like to see some evidence of it. I'd like to see real progress on Anfield and a move to finally increase capacity. I'd like to see us target some experienced attacking quality to compliment the youth. As Luis said, young players win matches, experienced players win titles. Sneijder would have fitted the bill but we wouldn't pay what Gala will pay for him. Fair enough, but you certainly can't blame him or criticise his move. He is 28, this is the last big move of his career and currently we represent a risk to any top player looking for success at the top of the game. If he is picking up 200k a week in Italy why should he drop his wages by 60/70% to come to a mid table / Europa club in Englabd regardless of our history?

My outlook on it is different to be honest, he already has more money than he'll ever need unless he is a complete mong with it and by all accounts we were offering him a huge packet ourselves but if he wanted this one last big move then he should've come here (or another club in a competitive league) rather than Galatasaray, if we were talking Bayern Munich I'd agree with you completely, even though they are in a (possibly debatable these days) weaker league they are still playing at a competitive level and have a chance of success in the Champions League, at Gala yeah he'll probably win the league every year or come close but at the end of the day who outside of Turkey gives a fuck? And they aren't exactly going to do anything worth bothering with in the Champions League to use that as an excuse, I see him dropping into footballing obscurity now which is a shame as he could've rebuilt his career here or with the right move elsewhere but it seems he has followed the money.

I'm under no illusions about our ability to attract top players as things stand but I'd still make us a more attractive proposition than a footballing backwater