You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

3 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Okay, you're talking about this bit? I didn't think it required an answer, because I'd already basically answered it in previous responses.

I view "short term temp Corbyn government" and "no deal and Boris" as a false dichotomy. We want someone else in charge. Someone who can actually command a majority in the Commons for what needs to be done, because we all know Corbyn can't. And a temporary leader should ideally be someone who doesn't want the job permanently. And three years of disgraceful prevarication over Brexit should not be rewarded by being put into Number 10.

But... he's the leader of the opposition. You can't just pull out PMs for the crack. I dunno. It seems like it's the only option on the table and you're not going to take it. 

3 hours ago, moof said:

How so? I think that’s a ridiculous thing to say 

Well, you've called 3 or 4 politicians sociopaths this last little while. If you call all of these people sociopaths people might just think that it's you saying 'they're twats', because the likelihood that everybody you don't like in politics is a sociopath is... low.

What's ridiculous about the overuse of something leading to the lessening impact? 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

But... he's the leader of the opposition. You can't just pull out PMs for the crack. I dunno. It seems like it's the only option on the table and you're not going to take it. 

It's not a question of us not taking it. It's a non-starter. Even if we decided to kiss goodbye to our chances of winning all those Tory marginals by supporting Corbyn for PM, the numbers just aren't there.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/15/small-minds-and-brexit-jeremy-corbyns-latest-gambit/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/15/the-whole-corbyn-gnu-story-is-based-on-a-false-premise-that-mp-numbers-are-there-for-it-to-be-passed/

58 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, you've called 3 or 4 politicians sociopaths this last little while. If you call all of these people sociopaths people might just think that it's you saying 'they're twats', because the likelihood that everybody you don't like in politics is a sociopath is... low.

What's ridiculous about the overuse of something leading to the lessening impact? 

You think I’m calling her a sociopath because I don’t like her? Give over, mate

50 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

It's not a question of us not taking it. It's a non-starter. Even if we decided to kiss goodbye to our chances of winning all those Tory marginals by supporting Corbyn for PM, the numbers just aren't there.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/15/small-minds-and-brexit-jeremy-corbyns-latest-gambit/

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/15/the-whole-corbyn-gnu-story-is-based-on-a-false-premise-that-mp-numbers-are-there-for-it-to-be-passed/

You'd better hope so , as if you sink this opportunity after squealing like stuck pigs about avoiding no-deal Brexit being the most important issue since the last war & it turns out it was simply a chance to boost your toxic pr , the backlash will be biblical.

8 minutes ago, moof said:

You think I’m calling her a sociopath because I don’t like her? Give over, mate

No, I think you call lots of people sociopaths and if you do it for loads of people, it’ll lessen the impact and people will think it’s just cause you don’t like them. 

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

You'd better hope so , as if you sink this opportunity after squealing like stuck pigs about avoiding no-deal Brexit being the most important issue since the last war & it turns out it was simply a chance to boost your toxic pr , the backlash will be biblical.

Come on, we all know that whatever bad things happen from now until the heat death of the universe will be the fault of the Lib Dems, especially Nick Clegg.

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Chukka is full of bollocks. As if Labour are going to out the Tory rebels they’ve been talking to (and they have), allowing Boris to lean on them. Fucking idiot.

Three senior Tory MPs and former Tory Nick Boles have replied to a letter from Jeremy Corbyn inviting them to support his attempt to prevent Boris Johnson dragging the country over a no-deal cliff – and have agreed to meet to discuss:

jc-responee.png?resize=470%2C797&ssl=1

Update: Tory Guto Bebb has also commented publicly:

I have never known anybody who is wrong more often than Chuka , he would make a fantastic Viz character.

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, I think you call lots of people sociopaths and if you do it for loads of people, it’ll lessen the impact and people will think it’s just cause you don’t like them. 

If I call lots of people murderers because they murder people, does that lessen the impact of the word? Think you’re talking shite here mate, sorry 

Swinson, and the LibDems, is either bulshitting about being the party of remain and the importance of avoiding no deal, or she's just fucking thick. 

If you're concern is about backing a proposal that doesn't have the numbers then come out and say so in a careful considered way, don't shoot from the hip and make a show of yourself.  I said earlier in the thread she's a fucking gobshite, and is now a dimwitted one it seems. This issue is generation defining, tread carefully if you truly care about the outcome. 

Or, she's (they) actually not arsed about the consequences of the outcome of Brexit for the country and this is all about positioning themselves for the post-Brexit fall out. 

Neither is a good look. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

Come on, we all know that whatever bad things happen from now until the heat death of the universe will be the fault of the Lib Dems, especially Nick Clegg.

At least they will always have you to chat bubbles for them whatever transpires.

Just now, sir roger said:

Three senior Tory MPs and former Tory Nick Boles have replied to a letter from Jeremy Corbyn inviting them to support his attempt to prevent Boris Johnson dragging the country over a no-deal cliff – and have agreed to meet to discuss:

jc-responee.png?resize=470%2C797&ssl=1

Update: Tory Guto Bebb has also commented publicly:

I have never known anybody who is wrong more often than Chuka , he would make a fantastic Viz character.

They’ve been talking to potential Tory rebels for weeks. It shows how plugged in Chuks is that he hasn’t got a scooby about what has been happening.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

They’ve been talking to potential Tory rebels for weeks. It shows how plugged in Chuks is that he hasn’t got a scooby about what has been happening.

It's hard not to imagine that weasel pulling the strings, the smug fuck. 

6 minutes ago, moof said:

If I call lots of people murderers because they murder people, does that lessen the impact of the word? Think you’re talking shite here mate, sorry 

I don’t think murderer is comparable. I think you’re throwing terms around willy nilly, flippantly calling people sociopaths. Which makes you look silly and stops people from taking you seriously. Unless you’re making a qualified diagnosis, that is. Which, of course, you’re not. Because, ya know, you’re not able to do that. So, yeah, you can carry on calling people sociopath left right and centre, but you’re doing yourself no favours. In my opinion, of course. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don’t think murderer is comparable. I think you’re throwing terms around willy nilly, flippantly calling people sociopaths. Which makes you look silly and stops people from taking you seriously. Unless you’re making a qualified diagnosis, that is. Which, of course, you’re not. Because, ya know, you’re not able to do that. So, yeah, you can carry on calling people sociopath left right and centre, but you’re doing yourself no favours. In my opinion, of course. 

Anti-Semite 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Way to look like a condescending prick, mate 

21 minutes ago, Moo said:

Swinson, and the LibDems, is either bulshitting about being the party of remain and the importance of avoiding no deal, or she's just fucking thick. 

If you're concern is about backing a proposal that doesn't have the numbers then come out and say so in a careful considered way, don't shoot from the hip and make a show of yourself.

?

Liberal Democrat leader Jo Swinson, who is due to give her own Brexit speech on Thursday, appeared to reject the gambit outright.

She said: "Jeremy Corbyn is not the person who is going to be able to build an even temporary majority in the House of Commons for this task – I would expect there are people in his own party and indeed the necessary Conservative backbenchers who would be unwilling to support him. It is a nonsense."

What part of that isn't expressing concerns about not having the numbers? It's her central argument.