You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mac Lion OS

dave u

I was a microsoft user until 3 years ago, bought an apple and never looked back. Instead of talking about how the operating system was hindering my work I now just do what I want and don't even notice the operating system.

Just out of curiosity; what work do you do and in what way did the os hinder it?

Guest davelfc
Just out of curiosity; what work do you do and in what way did the os hinder it?

I just don't have the time nor really can be bothered to write it all down, I've far more important things to do today. Sorry.

Interestingly Mac is now more prone to virus' than ever. I use Microsoft security essentials which is free on my zenbook. apart from the cost of th notebook i haven't paid a penny and performance wise it pisses on my core i5 macbook pro. The 256gb ssd helps & 16gb of ram. for a time a preferred apple but not anymore.

Well yes, an SSD and 16gb RAM is going to help isn't it?! The appeal of Macs is that you don't need to do that and the chances are, for a basic user, that you'll never need to take it into PC world to have it looked at because of a Java security issue or a build-up of malware slowing your computer down to a crawl.

I use windows for work, mac at home. I prefer using a mac because it's faster and sleeker. Windows 7 is excellent mind... but as a home user try buying a 'PC' without any third-party software on it, or without a free trial of an AV you don't need (always the worst ones too, McAfee and Norton - which basically amount to viruses looking for viruses at the expense of being able to actually use the bloody computer).

Straight out of the box, Apple is way ahead of Windows. Yes it's a lot more expensive, but I firmly believe you get the value in a machine that will last much longer than a PC without any looking after.

I've always felt that the reason Macs started selling so well is down to one thing... Windows Vista. What a massive fuck-up that was. Even to the point where manufacturers would knowingly produce under-powered PC's running Vista with 1gb Ram when it needed nearly that much to run the OS.

• 2 weeks later...

Macs are better out the box for people with no technical ability or inclination to waste time doing anything techie as they all come ready to use. All windows pc's in my opinion have to be formatted to rid them of the shit that gets shipped with it.

I have both but I always go back to my windows 7 pc with a crappy old athlon processor and 3gb ram, I just find windows more user friendly. All you need is avast free and firefox with adblock plus.

• 1 month later...

I would just like to point out that OSX is fucking shit at networking. Large folder browsing using Samba can take up to 20 minutes just to list the contents.

I've been at it for days trying to fix the problem, googling shows it's a widespread problem. If I need to do anything on the network I have to fire up my desktop Win 7 which browses everything instantly, Windows...it just works!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I would just like to point out that OSX is fucking shit at networking. Large folder browsing using Samba can take up to 20 minutes just to list the contents.

I've been at it for days trying to fix the problem, googling shows it's a widespread problem. If I need to do anything on the network I have to fire up my desktop Win 7 which browses everything instantly, Windows...it just works!

Never had a problem. Nobody I've ever spoken to or heard from has ever had a problem. Still, I don't think you're destined to get on with the Mac side of things if you think Windows 7 is more user friendly.

As for googling... not sure that's a great barometer for judging what's 'widespread' to be honest. After all, you get 18.1m hits by typing in 'arseface syndrome'. Hell, you get 2.8m results for 'fungus mac spastic'.

• 1 month later...

I have a macbook, it's about 3 years old and has been used non stop for internet, streaming, imovie, downloading etc

It had 2gb of ram but there's room for 4gb. it had 2 x 1gb in it and I bought another 2gb thinking it would be another 2 x 1gbs that went into another 2 slots (I hadn't looked inside at this point). I bought it off crucial and it came as 1 x 2gb.

I watched a demo on youtube about how to replace the ram. I took out 1 of the 1gb and replaced it with the 2gb so I now have 3gb of ram. it booted up straight away but I noticed the swirly colour loading thing was still there when I was on the internet etc but I checked the spec and it said 3gb memory.

anyway since then I've had a number of problems:

1. I don't seem to be able to just close the mac now and it will go to sleep itself. if i do this, when I open it again it won't be on. it's possible that the charge is just running out but there's been a few times when it's been 80%, I've closed it and come back 10 mins later and it's turned off.

2. a few times when this has happened and I've turned it on again the on light flashes slowly and the mac beeps in unison with the flashing. my mate in work says this is like a kind of morse code the mac uses to tell you something is wrong?

3. it seems to overheat around the hinge at the back of the mac.

4. a couple of times I closed it and opened it again I had a message telling me to restart.

I'm on it now typing this so it works for a while and I've been getting round the sleep problem of just closing it by selecting sleep from the menu or just shutting it down.

anybody tell me what's up with it or what I need to do?

much appreciated.

Guest Scaramanga

anybody tell me what's up with it or what I need to do?

much appreciated.

I'd take the other stick out dude (your new Crucial memory), it might be that the Crucial stick is duff (probably not), but it might be that the memory interleaving is different between two RAM manufacturers sticks (i dont know the bog standard manufacturer of RAM in Apple laptops). Try leaving in your new sticks as well and taking out the old stick and see how you get on in both configurations.

Either way, your system seems very unstable at the moment and that points to the RAM upgrade seeing as it worked ok previously.

Although some might disagree, I would always recommend you have matching DIMM's whether it's a Windows or MAC machine for techie reasons I wont bore you with.

I'd take the other stick out dude (your new Crucial memory), it might be that the Crucial stick is duff (probably not), but it might be that the memory interleaving is different between two RAM manufacturers sticks (i dont know the bog standard manufacturer of RAM in Apple laptops). Try leaving in your new sticks as well and taking out the old stick and see how you get on in both configurations.

Either way, your system seems very unstable at the moment and that points to the RAM upgrade seeing as it worked ok previously.

Although some might disagree, I would always recommend you have matching DIMM's whether it's a Windows or MAC machine for techie reasons I wont bore you with.

Thanks for this.

I binned the old ram. If I bought another 1 x 2gb (same as the other one) and replaced the the 1gb with it would that fix it?

Guest Scaramanga

Hmm. If your using Crucial memory - 1GB | 2GB that shouldn't be that much of an issue. The problem starts to evolve from read write from individual memory segments (and will eventually cause crashes, but not right away normally), how long has it been since you replaced the RAM?

I don't want to definitely say that another 2GB stick will solve all your problems because it might cost you money for fuck all. If you can, swap out each stick and boot and see how it performs, and if you can get some cheap memory for testing that would also be cool. I appreciate that you might not be able to though.

Any further information you can think of would be helpful dude. There is a memory utility on Apples that a screenshot of would be helpful (can't remember where/what this is called though, sorry).

Guest Scaramanga

Just a thought as well, are you sure you bought the correct RAM for your Apple dude? Also, I know you said you followed a video but can you make definitely sure that the memory is seated properly?

Hmm. If your using Crucial memory - 1GB | 2GB that shouldn't be that much of an issue. The problem starts to evolve from read write from individual memory segments (and will eventually cause crashes, but not right away normally), how long has it been since you replaced the RAM?

I don't want to definitely say that another 2GB stick will solve all your problems because it might cost you money for fuck all. If you can, swap out each stick and boot and see how it performs, and if you can get some cheap memory for testing that would also be cool. I appreciate that you might not be able to though.

Any further information you can think of would be helpful dude. There is a memory utility on Apples that a screenshot of would be helpful (can't remember where/what this is called though, sorry).

only been about a week since I changed it

been trying to paste a screen print of the system memory from the activity monitor but I don't know how to post a picture without a url (I'm not very technical sorry) I can tell you what it says though:

free: 1.59gb

wired: 233.36mb

active: 601.14mb

inactive: 347.88mb

used: 1.15gb

There's a pie chart of all the above and the total is 3gb

vm size: 30.86gb

page ins: 217.26mb

page outs: 0 bytes

swap used: 0 bytes

Just a thought as well, are you sure you bought the correct RAM for your Apple dude? Also, I know you said you followed a video but can you make definitely sure that the memory is seated properly?

crucial has this scanner that looks at your mac and tells you what you need. I just went with what they told me. I'll open it up again and have another look to make sure it's in right.

Scaramanga is correct. Take out the old stick and just leave the Crucial 2gb stick in there. Boot up and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then you can quite happily get another 2gb stick from Crucial. With RAM, it's always best to work in pairs of the same size.

Just to reassure you, Crucial provide a good product that works well with Macs.

Guest Scaramanga

Sorry man, I was a bit sleepy so couldn't get to this last night. Fucking weed.

First off how you get on with the ram swapping and rebooting to check for errors? Also, after looking on the apple site today, you can boot into a hardware test by powering on your laptop and holding down d on your keyboard. Follow the instructions and let me know how you get on. If that cool we can look elsewhere to get you sorted.

Scaramanga is correct. Take out the old stick and just leave the Crucial 2gb stick in there. Boot up and see if it makes a difference. If it does, then you can quite happily get another 2gb stick from Crucial. With RAM, it's always best to work in pairs of the same size.

Just to reassure you, Crucial provide a good product that works well with Macs.

tried this and seemed to be working ok but then crashed.

I've put the 1gb back in again and it's working ok with the 3gb at the minute.